Phenom II X6 OC Temperature Question

-iLLuZioN-B18C1

Limp Gawd
I am trying to overclock my x6. Currently its at vcore=1.325, 18x multiplier, cpu freq=195 running at 3.5 ghz. Not sure what other information you all might need.

Cooler is ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125

Idle is 33C. When I run prime95 it gets as hot as 58C. I've read that this temperature is a little on the high side. Is this in fact too high for my overclock or does it sound ok?

Thanks

Idle temp is ok,but under stress 58C is to high for me imo.You are running stock voltage with a 300mhz oc.Your HSF is not up to the task.BTW did you get a good spread on the thermal paste?

yes the temp is much higher than i would let my 1090T get to ever......the cooler is not the best, i would suggest getting a new one if possible, temp is high for the 1.325v but that maybe the cooler

Idle temp is ok,but under stress 58C is to high for me imo.You are running stock voltage with a 300mhz oc.Your HSF is not up to the task.BTW did you get a good spread on the thermal paste?

Ive read so many ways to do it, but i did the rice grain way. I put a small rice grain size of AS5 on the center. But you are saying my heat sink is not good enough?

If you spread out the paste right that should not be the problem.That is a small hsf combination for your 1090T.Mine will run [email protected] and 1.45 volts.

Ive read so many ways to do it, but i did the rice grain way. I put a small rice grain size of AS5 on the center. But you are saying my heat sink is not good enough?

yes, your hSF is not very good

the SunBeam Core Contact Freezer, 120mm, is on sale for $17 the other day at newegg, its a much more capable cooler,

the cooler you have is a 92mm cooler, which is good for lower power CPU's, it should keep your temp lower at near stock volts, so your paste is also probably not on there the best.

I am trying to overclock my x6. Currently its at vcore=1.325, 18x multiplier, cpu freq=195 running at 3.5 ghz. Not sure what other information you all might need.

Cooler is ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125

Idle is 33C. When I run prime95 it gets as hot as 58C. I've read that this temperature is a little on the high side. Is this in fact too high for my overclock or does it sound ok?

Thanks

your temps are perfectly fine for the overclock you are running. now if you want to go higher then yes you will want to upgrade your heatsink to something like the coolermaster 212+. all these people saying 58C doing stress testing is high and how you would never let it get that high are nuts. these processors will run all day long at 60C+ without a single issue. they are not using the same silicon in the x6's as they did in the x4's so it can handle much higher temps even though AMD still uses the 62C max on them.

your temps are perfectly fine for the overclock you are running. now if you want to go higher then yes you will want to upgrade your heatsink to something like the coolermaster 212+. all these people saying 58C doing stress testing is high and how you would never let it get that high are nuts. these processors will run all day long at 60C+ without a single issue. they are not using the same silicon in the x6's as they did in the x4's so it can handle much higher temps even though AMD still uses the 62C max on them.
yea what he said.

Exactly, if it doesn't shut off, why does it matter what temp it is? Maybe my opinions are extreme, but you aren't going to get it that hot doing anything other than benching.

Lol at work Im running a 720 BE X3 overclocked to 3.5/2.5 NB with a factory athlon 64 am2 heatsink. It runs up close to 60C all day, been that way for 7 months.

Considering the fact that the cooler is rated for 130w processors and the 1090t is a 125w processor, your temps are exactly what someone should expect. If you want to go higher, you'll need a better cooler, or much lower ambient temperatures. I've got my 1090t @ 3.7 w/ stock voltage on a H50 and I never go over 41c on full load while folding for the [H]orde. Keep in mind that there are air coolers that come very close to or beat the H50. CM 212+, TT Frio, C. A70; just to name a few.

Thermal limit for the 1090t is 62c according to AMD.
http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUResult.aspx

As long as it is stable, 58°C isn't going to hurt anything, you're probably just not going to be able to go much faster without better cooling.

Back