Phenom (linux server)

flint338

Gawd
Okay.. I'm very behind the times in cpu's. Look at my sig, I'm replacing sparky's p4-915 with a dual core or quad core AMD or Intel Core. How is the phenom? I saw some great deals on it awhile back, but didn't quite want to upgrade..

Thinking doing it on the cheap, I'd like to keep it under $200 for cpu, board, ram. Old guts are going into another machine.

Options would probably be a 9500 phenom, or a core2 6300? If I found a q6600 for cheap, I'd do that.. I'd love 4 cores, but would take just 2 with a intel.

Anything would be overclocked to max.

Please don't turn this into a flame war unless you bring your fire suit. :)

You're not going to get a quad core from either side of the asile for $200, along with a decent motherboard *and* decent RAM.

I realize this is [H] and all, but most servers are not run "overclocked to max" for the sake of stability.

Opteron chips undergo additional qualification testing for server use, which is why they are generally recommended over Phenom chips for server duty.

You're not going to get a quad core from either side of the asile for $200, along with a decent motherboard *and* decent RAM.

QFT. You can find Quads for a little under $200. If you bump your budget up about 100-150 bux it should be doable. DDR2 memory is so dirt cheap, it's not hard to find 2x1 gig kits of name brand stuff for sub $50. Here's some DDR2-1066 Dominators for $54 after rebate :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145043

And some TwinX DDR2-800 for $29 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034

You should be able to find a decent motherboard for $75 or so...

yeah.. $200 was a ballpark. It could go up to $500 if I found what I wanted.

This "server" is my primary workstation/fileserver. So it needs to be overclocked to be as fast as possible, while still being stable. But I'm sitting at it a lot, so no big deal if something fails.

I just wanted to know if the Phenom was worth buying?

yeah.. $200 was a ballpark. It could go up to $500 if I found what I wanted.

This "server" is my primary workstation/fileserver. So it needs to be overclocked to be as fast as possible, while still being stable. But I'm sitting at it a lot, so no big deal if something fails.

I just wanted to know if the Phenom was worth buying?

a fileserver would benefit more with a RAID configuration then a really fast CPU, also you may want to consider ECC Registered RAM and Linux using Software RAID on a hardened kernel.

Sounds more like a workstation with some serving on the side. Here's the big question: if you're only running one or two tasks at a time (the file serving should not be a huge concern as long as you don't need to encrypt data on the fly over GBE or something) then a high-clocked Core2 Duo would probably be the best bet in your price range. If you need to encrypt your data as you send it (SSH or something), and run a good few tasks while you're working on your workstation, I think the AMD quad would be the best bet given your price range.

Sounds more like a workstation with some serving on the side. Here's the big question: if you're only running one or two tasks at a time (the file serving should not be a huge concern as long as you don't need to encrypt data on the fly over GBE or something) then a high-clocked Core2 Duo would probably be the best bet in your price range. If you need to encrypt your data as you send it (SSH or something), and run a good few tasks while you're working on your workstation, I think the AMD quad would be the best bet given your price range.

Well, my load average is 6.0 right now. 2 bzip2 processes, tar, couple of ftp and samba sessions going, along with amarok playing music, surfing [H]. It's not too lagged down, but its getting a bit slow. So, quad would be the best option I think if I can pull it off for cheap.

So.. yeah, this is a combo workstation and server. Thankfully it's not handling my internet shit anymore, that was really loading it down :).

you don't need to get all crazy with the budget since a q6600 is 199 shipped from fry's. (check the hot deals section) and you don't NEED ECC. Just don't get crazy man.. and a slight oc as long as you have a good HSF and a ventilated case is fine.

What is the purpose of this server?

Yeah, an Intel Q6600 or similar or an AMD 9850 or so wound do just fine. Unless you're actively tracking it, you're not going to be able to tell the difference between the two.

Back