Phil Schiller: Android’s Face ID Attempts “All Stink”

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Phil Schiller, who heads up Apple’s marketing efforts, says that Android alternatives to Face ID “all stink” right now. “Other things that people have tried with face haven’t been anything like that,” Schiller said. “Face ID is a very unique implementation.”

Schiller, whose second tour at Apple started in April 1997, says that the Android versions of facial recognition won't work in the same way that Face ID works. He also pointed out all of the capabilities that Apple has asked the home button on the iPhone to do over the years, such as unlock the phone using Touch ID, verify identity with Apple Pay, activate Siri, switch between open apps, and close them.

Is he really arguing that his company's newest tech is better than the 5 year old Android design?

Who says we want face id? I don't want to look at my phone to unlock it. Only reason they went this route is because the added thickness of 3d touch wouldn't allow an under glass fingerprint scanner to work.

The OnePlus 5T is the only Android phone that seems to have done well with their face unlock.

I know a few people using the iPhone X. It seems kind of awkward for some of it. Example - Apple Pay. I didn't catch everything, but my friend said something along the lines that using TouchID was a lot easier. FaceID requires you to unlock, scan, and I don't remember if you need a pin or rescan your face (might be configurable). It is very easy to use with TouchID.
Intel and Microsoft have a platform that can use facial recognition. I think you need a depth sensing camera (kind of like Kinect I assume) and think it might only work with Windows 10. I don't think it caught on as the cameras are expensive and likely IT security policies would not want to support these devices.

Oh look it's a marketing guy speaking stuff. Why would anyone listen to what he says? Doesn't matter what company he's from.... marketing = bullshit and lies.

1. There are no degrees of uniqueness. Using the phrase "very unique" just makes you look stupid. How is someone like this in charge of marketing?
2. Android's attempts at facial recognition do stink. The problem is, so does Apple's.
3. That guy smiles like a constipated Joker.

All phone biometrics stink. Sorry Apple yours isn't better just because you charge more.

Back