Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Finally got the screen today at the Customs, They asked me to pay an extra tax of 300 Usd. because they thought it was a TV, I just had to show them that it was a monitor and the tax was reduced to 30 Usd instead!

Anyway, I set it up, this screen is amazing ... working perfectly with a GTX 970.
I can say now that the screen feels like a real monitor and not a TV ( I had a 4K tv before, it was very slow compared to this one )

I was afraid of a few things : Input lag, Ghost, Color / angle

now I can tell none of theses are a problem. It really is an amazing 4 K monitor.

I am using it at 70 % Brightness and I really cannot tell the difference or any flickering. even at 0 % brightness,

I will do another review after one week using this screen in Photoshop / 3D softwares, games etc.

Finally got the screen today at the Customs, They asked me to pay an extra tax of 300 Usd. because they thought it was a TV, I just had to show them that it was a monitor and the tax was reduced to 30 Usd instead!

Anyway, I set it up, this screen is amazing ... working perfectly with a GTX 970.
I can say now that the screen feels like a real monitor and not a TV ( I had a 4K tv before, it was very slow compared to this one )

I was afraid of a few things : Input lag, Ghost, Color / angle

now I can tell none of theses are a problem. It really is an amazing 4 K monitor.

I am using it at 70 % Brightness and I really cannot tell the difference or any flickering. even at 0 % brightness,

I will do another review after one week using this screen in Photoshop / 3D softwares, games etc.

Awesome to hear! mine shipped from china yesterday. No estimated delivery date yet.
Looking forward to a review from you even though i already bought it.:cool:

Here is a picture that I just took, can have an idea of the size with the water bottle.
the screen looks bigger in real.

wp_20150105_13_45_39_pro.jpg

How would 1080p gaming look on this? I know - many people say it's horrible.
But many people also say IPS is fine for gaming...god I'm so tired of IPS glow...
That's why this monitor with the VA panel interests me so much!

I will absolutely LOVE the 4k resolution workspace, but the gamer side of me is a little worried about gaming performance.
That is why I'd be interested in how 1080p gaming on this would look like.
As I understand it, there are two options for this; acess the nvidia control panel for all games - software side interpolate 1080p on the 4K res.
Or second option, let the screen itself interpolate - setting to 1080p (I've read about the fact of 4k in 4 pixles NOT intepolating correctly...not sure how that works).

Can anybody make some videos and/or pictures of these 1080p effects?
Also, somebody said something about the screen not having perfectly square pixels?
I suppose you'd be able to check this angle-wise...putting a line on 45° in any drawing program should show what's up with that.

Really interested in this monitor! I've got 2 24" Dells now, but this would be better I think - I'm really tired of the IPS glow anyway.
My girlfriend says she thinks it's too big, but what else is new?

Yes, this is it.. No point in waiting, otherwise we would have to wait ~5 years for the perfect 39" 4k curved OLED 144Hz free/g-sync monitor with a reasonable price tag..

Such will be our next monitor, in 5 years, but for now... :)

no 40inch screens with freesync @ CES.

"Only" these 10:
http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2002910

=> time to order this Philips

Yes, this is it.. No point in waiting, otherwise we would have to wait ~5 years for the perfect 39" 4k curved OLED 144Hz free/g-sync monitor with a reasonable price tag..

Such will be our next monitor, in 5 years, but for now... :)

That's what I'm thinking, too. So tempted to order this but it seems expensive at $1199 on eBay (which is funny considering I paid around that much for my Westy 37" and my Dell U3011, and this display would be superior to both). I would just hate to pay that much and then have it appear in the US for several hundred dollars less.

I'm mainly concerned about how Philips would handle the warranty. Has there been any further news on a US release?

People are saying the 34" they are demoing at the show is 3440 x 1440.

I've found mixed information on that. One article said 3440x1440 and the other said 2560x1080. Guess we'll have to wait for further clarification.

Is it really possible to get used to a 40'' screen for productivity and gaming? No drawbacks?

People are saying the 34" they are demoing at the show is 3440 x 1440.

I've now seen multiple articles citing it as 2560x1080, and the other LG offerings as 3440x1440, but I guess we will see.

Seeing the AMD Investor Relations website listing the specs as 2560x1080...I'd bet on that being true, over what "people are saying".

How would 1080p gaming look on this? I know - many people say it's horrible.
But many people also say IPS is fine for gaming...god I'm so tired of IPS glow...
That's why this monitor with the VA panel interests me so much!

I will absolutely LOVE the 4k resolution workspace, but the gamer side of me is a little worried about gaming performance.
That is why I'd be interested in how 1080p gaming on this would look like.
As I understand it, there are two options for this; acess the nvidia control panel for all games - software side interpolate 1080p on the 4K res.
Or second option, let the screen itself interpolate - setting to 1080p (I've read about the fact of 4k in 4 pixles NOT intepolating correctly...not sure how that works).

Can anybody make some videos and/or pictures of these 1080p effects?
Read this, it might help.
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041311706&postcount=729
\Also, somebody said something about the screen not having perfectly square pixels?
I suppose you'd be able to check this angle-wise...putting a line on 45° in any drawing program should show what's up with that.
Someone did that and they are NOT square.

Last edited:
got mine this morning

0W05ySLl.jpg

FYI anyone that wants one from Korea ASAP, ask the seller to use Fed Ex express. Ordered mine on Dec 31st, shipped on Jan 2nd, and got it on 5th, If it wasn't for New year holiday and Sunday I would have gotten it in 3 days. EMS sucks and takes way too long.

got mine this morning

FYI anyone that wants one from Korea ASAP, ask the seller to use Fed Ex express. Ordered mine on Dec 31st, shipped on Jan 2nd, and got it on 5th, If it wasn't for New year holiday and Sunday I would have gotten it in 3 days. EMS sucks and takes way too long.

Hey MS, did you order it from Korea on ebay or through a different channel? Sorry if this is redundant, but I'm at work and trying to keep up with everyone's shipping speeds/where they placed it.

Thanks!

I'm seeing both Jack and Shite out of CES regarding decent large 4K monitors, so this is starting to look like the only game in town until maybe the Seiki (finally) comes out?

Either way, wish the thing would come to the US.

Will do more testing over the coming weekend.

Set up for now, with out a VESA mount, and damn its HUGE :eek:

40" Philips vs LG Ultrawide curved

dVeysSJl.jpg

&

40" Philips vs Dell 32" 4k
(the already massive Dell 32" looks like a 24" compared to the 40")

unhfRtSl.jpg

Holy cow the 32 does look small next to the 40.

I know you were going to do a more in depth review/impression later on , just was curious if side by side with the Dell does the Phillips seem almost glossy color wise ?

Just seems in everyone's pics the Phillips' colors seem more vibrant.

I'm not worried at all about accuracy for my gaming monitor (miss the pop of colors on a glossy)

You mentioned that EMS is slow...one of the eBay sellers told me that in their experience, EMS usually takes 3-5 days. I know that EMS Express exists, so maybe that's what they are referring to. They said that they could ship FedEx but preferred not to because it wasn't much faster and was roughly double the cost of EMS.

Also, keep us updated after you use it for a bit...I'm curious if you'll find, after using the LG and Dell, that the Philips causes more eyestrain like what =)(= described.

Are you keeping all of the monitors?

I'd be curious to hear your impressions of gaming and general usage on the Philips 40" vs. the LG curved, also. I have the flat LG Ultrawide and I can't help but think that the Philips would provide more immersion due to sheer size than a slight curvature on the LG.

Just seems in everyone's pics the Phillips' colors seem more vibrant.

I don't want to speak for Martha but I assume that's because of the VA panel and superior contrast ratio. The image on my BenQ BL3200PT (VA panel) is stunning and does seem to "pop" more than the image on my LG ultrawide (IPS), which is quite a feat considering the picture on the LG is beautiful. But that higher contrast ratio is definitely one of VA's advantages.

Hi all. I am giving this display serious consideration but I wish to check a few things. I am planning on connecting my PC to it, along with my PS3 and PS4.

Obviously the consoles will output only 1080p. Is it usable for games like this? Any lag introduced from upscaling 1080p content? What about games at 720p?

Also, what are the speakers like? As good as a mid-range TV, or worse?

From what I've read, it sounds fine for PC gaming, but the PS3 and PS4 is a deal-breaker for me, as it will be a single screen to replace two existing displays.

Cheers for help...

I don't want to speak for Martha but I assume that's because of the VA panel and superior contrast ratio. The image on my BenQ BL3200PT (VA panel) is stunning and does seem to "pop" more than the image on my LG ultrawide (IPS), which is quite a feat considering the picture on the LG is beautiful. But that higher contrast ratio is definitely one of VA's advantages.

Ah gotcha , thanks for the explanation. I assumed it was due to coating difference but didnt think about the panels being that different of a type also.

Is it really possible to get used to a 40'' screen for productivity and gaming? No drawbacks?

I have been working a bit with this screen ( Photoshop, 3D softwares etc ) so far, nothing to say, its perfect, and you stop wasting your time finding additional menus etc, ( as you can now display pretty much everything you need on the sides )
Hard thing is to come back to a normal screen ( 20 - 24 '' )
After using the Philips, I decided to un-plug my 2nd and 3rd screen, as they just became totally useless.
( also, the 40 '' by it self looks gorgeous on a desk, adding a small screen on the side kind of brake the general design )
you will get used to this size in about 5 minutes, and never want to come back ;p

Gaming side, as long as you can get a GTX970 / 980 with a correct i5 / i7, you gonna love playing on that.

Those who have the monitor, would you mind testing for this?

I did a test about this yesterday, I opened photoshop and created a big square. I mesured both sides manually on the screen. not 100% acurate but one side was 15.160 '' and other one 15.300. the difference is very small.

I exported a Jpeg to show the difference you get ( in red )

https://chucco.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/ratiobdm4065uc.jpg

Also, it is not really an issue, as most of the time when we need to draw an exact square, we use automatic tools.

You mentioned that EMS is slow...one of the eBay sellers told me that in their experience, EMS usually takes 3-5 days. I know that EMS Express exists, so maybe that's what they are referring to. They said that they could ship FedEx but preferred not to because it wasn't much faster and was roughly double the cost of EMS

My experience is that EMS express takes about that long (3-5 days), so it's definitely not slow.

A question to the owners of this screen who have already received it. I've ordered mine on Amazon and am waiting for the 2 month projected delivery.

Currently I'm using 3 27-inch 1440p Samsungs in surround, both for work and for gaming. For work I find that I often use all three, with a main document on the middle one, and two side documents on the inside halves of the outside monitors, if you know what I mean. Typically it's uncomfortable to put things full-screen on the outside monitors because then you need to keep moving your head. For gaming however, it's extremely immersive to have the three screens, much more so than just one.

So my question is - is one of these going to be enough, or am I going to miss the 3-screen setup, and should I order two more now, given the long waiting time? Is anyone who has one of these feeling like they need to get two more?

A question to the owners of this screen who have already received it. I've ordered mine on Amazon and am waiting for the 2 month projected delivery.

Currently I'm using 3 27-inch 1440p Samsungs in surround, both for work and for gaming. For work I find that I often use all three, with a main document on the middle one, and two side documents on the inside halves of the outside monitors, if you know what I mean. Typically it's uncomfortable to put things full-screen on the outside monitors because then you need to keep moving your head. For gaming however, it's extremely immersive to have the three screens, much more so than just one.

So my question is - is one of these going to be enough, or am I going to miss the 3-screen setup, and should I order two more now, given the long waiting time? Is anyone who has one of these feeling like they need to get two more?

If you make the switch be sure to post about it. I've been considering going 3x 27"'s but I've also been holding out for a 4k tv that will do 60hz at 4:4:4.

I was using a 3 monitor setup and even went back to a simple 24 inch monitor. I found that I had to turn my head too much if I had to go from one end to the other. (Which happened a lot during a work session)
I can imagine that it would be very cool for gaming though. But I am sure the 40 inch will be awesome in it's own way. So I think it will be the sweet spot for me.
I went for 3 monitors to get more space but I think that the 40 inch will give it more balance. 3 Monitors is too wide for me.

Keeping my fingers crossed to get it this week and I will let you know how I feel about it.

@Convict5937: Three 1440p monitors give you 11.07 megapixels of screen real estate, while this Philips will give you 8.29 megapixels (which equals 2.25 of your current monitors)... Means you will have 25% less real estate than you currently have, BUT you should be able to use it more efficiently.

All the while pixel density (PPI) will not change for you.

So you are almost certainly good to go..

Thx Marta ;-)

If possible, can we have a video showing your impressions ? windows ? video ? Games at 4k and downscaled 1440P for exemple to see the difference ? Thx in advance.

I did a test about this yesterday, I opened photoshop and created a big square. I mesured both sides manually on the screen. not 100% acurate but one side was 15.160 '' and other one 15.300. the difference is very small. Also, it is not really an issue, as most of the time when we need to draw an exact square, we use automatic tools.
I did that when I first got the monitor. Definitely not square, but not discernable to my naked eye.

I wonder if a circle could be seen as bit eliptical??? That may depend on the size of the circle but I am unable to say at what size visual system is most sensitive to elipticity :confused: Can you make tests?

Back