Photoshop & Video Editing Build... First time

motolube

Gawd
I am trying to help a friend, told him I will built the rig for him but I know nothing about building a rig for Video Editing and Photoshop... I would say it is similar to building a Gaming rig but I rather not speculate.

Here's the scenario:
Upload the image from his video camera, edit/play with the video, add some music to it and then burn it for future viewings. Same with photos.

So here it is

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Photoshop, Video Editing and Web Browsing of course.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
2K mas... including Shipping & Taxes

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Miami, Florida 33155

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case
Motherboard
PSU
CPU
Ram
SSD
Hard Drive
Video Card
BR Player & Writer/Burner
CD/DVD Player & Burner as a Secondary
Multi Reader
Keyboard
Mouse
Monitor to go with the new build.
Adobe Premiere Element & Photoshop Element 10

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
No reusables

6) Will you be overclocking?
No

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
We will be buying a new one

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Hopefully, within 2 or 3 weeks... Tax Refund :D

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? etc.
USB 3.0, SATA & eSATA would be nice features to have.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
NO... we would be buying Windows Ultimate 7 64 bit

Last edited:
I am trying to help a friend, told him I will built the rig for him but I know nothing about building a rig for Video Editing and Photoshop... I would say it is similar to building a Gaming rig but I rather not speculate.

So here it is

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Photoshop, Video Editing and Web Browsing of course.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
2K mas... including Shipping & Taxes

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Miami, Florida 33155

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case
Motherboard
PSU
CPU
Ram
SSD
Hard Drive
Video Card
BR Player & Writer/Burner
CD/DVD Player & Burner as a Secondary
Multi Reader
Keyboard
Mouse
Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Adobe Premiere Element & Photoshop Element 10

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Monitor

6) Will you be overclocking?
No

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
I don't know but I will have an answer in a bit

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Hopefully, within 2 or 3 weeks... Tax Refund :D

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? etc.
USB 3.0, SATA & eSATA would be nice features to have.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
NO... we would be buying Windows Ultimate 7 64 bit

You did not specify the native (or maximum) resolution of the monitor that you'll be using with the new build. This will impact the GPU that you'll need. Also, if you have an old monitor, its maximum resolution may be too low for the programs that you'll be running.

You did not specify the native (or maximum) resolution of the monitor that you'll be using with the new build. This will impact the GPU that you'll need. Also, if you have an old monitor, its maximum resolution may be too low for the programs that you'll be running.

I know, I am trying to get a hold of my friend but I believe that for now, I am going to edit my first post and write that he will be buying a new monitor as well because you are right... it makes no sense to invest on a new build and use an old monitor... more so when you can get a good one for cheap.

I recommend using at least 2 monitors on this setup.
this is my setup from 2 years ago, 19" 1440x900, 20" 1680x1050, 19' 1440x900.
GTX285 and 9600GT is what ran the monitors.
editor-2010.jpg

Current setup looks the same except now I have 3 1920x1080 monitors, 23", 23", 21.5.

Monitor resolution won't impact the GPU for Video and Photoshop work.
I will tell you one thing though, if he is planning on long format edits, he will probably want to upgrade to Premiere Pro and use an Nvidia card for accelerated rendering and realtime effects.

Also, there are other programs out there for editing that do an excellent job for the money, Canopus Edius Neo is one. I have version 1 of this program and it is very powerful for a $200 program.
The Grass Valley EDIUS Neo 3 offers nonlinear editing features and is suitable for those new to video editing. In addition to real-time, multi-track, mixed-format HD/SD editing, it comes with chromakeying, titling and both Blu-ray disc and DVD authoring. The software offers a seamless, real-time workflow and allows for mixing all formats on the same timeline.
this is a screen grab of Edius Neo running on my setup, Left monitor shows the Program Out, Center is the timeline and source/program windows, and the right is the project bin and effects controls,
edius-layout3.jpg

Thanks Zepher... I will ask him to consider running 2 or 3 monitors for this setup then!

Monitor resolution won't impact the GPU for Video and Photoshop work.
I will tell you one thing though, if he is planning on long format edits, he will probably want to upgrade to Premiere Pro and use an Nvidia card for accelerated rendering and realtime effects.

Also, if the monitor resolution is less than 1280 pixels wide or 900 pixels high, the current version of Premiere Pro (CS5.5) will not display correctly: Some critical parts of the work area will be cut off, and cannot be retrieved at all without upgrading to a higher-resolution monitor. (In other words, a 1366x768 monitor is not enough because the resolution is less than 900 pixels high.)

And Premiere Pro CS5.5 requires at least a GeForce GTX 550 Ti in order to avoid performing downright sluggishly with MPE GPU acceleration enabled. (Although the Adobe-certified MPE list includes the Quadro 2000, that card is basically an underclocked GTS 450, which is noticeably slower than a GTX 550 Ti.)

Holy Cow... this is turning out to be a Nightmare and not as easy as building a Gaming PC :eek: :eek: :(:(

See why I need your help? :p :D

Holy Cow... this is turning out to be a Nightmare and not as easy as building a Gaming PC :eek: :eek: :(:(

See why I need your help? :p :D

On the other hand, if all he's going to use is a cheapo $100-ish consumer editing program, it doesn't matter: Such programs offer no GPU acceleration whatsoever. And most barely take full advantage of even an old single-core Pentium 4 system with just 2GB of RAM.

OK, all this info is good an all but I still don't know what components he would need... can any of you guys shed some light on that subject? ;)

I already made the decision for him that he will buy a new monitor (or maybe 2) :D but I still need help with the rest of the components. As far as using other software, I will let him know but I take it he wants that one because is the one he is comfortable with. I know when I use a software I don't want to move to a newer or different one. :D

Why Windows 7 Ultimate?
Is the OS part of that $2K budget?

Why Windows 7 Ultimate?
Is the OS part of that $2K budget?

Yes it is, I figured it would be the best for what he needs because it is 64bit and it brings everything he may need in the future or he can get away using another version?

Yes it is, I figured it would be the best for what he needs because it is 64bit and it brings everything he may need in the future or he can get away using another version?

You don't need Untimate, even if you're going to put more than 16GB of RAM in that system. You can save roughly $20 by going with Professional instead of Ultimate if he really needs that much RAM. All Ultimate adds to Professional is mostly additional language packs and a couple of niceties that do not add appreciably to the basic computing experience.

And yes, all three major editions of Windows 7 - Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate - come in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions (and if you go retail-boxed, the package comes with both 32-bit and 64-bit install disks). However, Home Premium 64-bit maxes out at 16GB of RAM for system memory support. So, if you need to put more than 16GB total RAM in that build (say, 4 x 8GB sticks for a total of 32GB), you need the Professional.

All three editions of Windows include basic Windows games; however, they are "not installed" (disabled) by default in Professional (or "installed" (enabled) by default in Home Premium and Ultimate).

Last edited:
Here is a solid build for photoshop work.

$299.99 - Intel Core i5-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
$124.99 - ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI
$39.99 - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 x 2
$104.99 - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W
$129.99 - EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti
$174.99 - Crucial m4 CT128M4SSD1 2.5" 128GB
$15.99 - SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner
$146.28 - HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.D HDS721010DLE630 (0F13180) 1TB 7200 RPM

Total shipped: $1070.24

$10 off w/ promo code EMCNHHJ27, ends 2/27 on the PSU.

Choose your own case (Compliments of Danny Bui)
$88 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K58W ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B ATX Case
$98 - Cooler Master CM690 II Advance ATX Case
$100 - Corsair Carbide Series 400R ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$130 - Lian Li PC-9F ATX Case
$120 - Fractal Design Define R3 Arctic White ATX Case
$125 - Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl ATX Case
$130 - Fractal Design Define R3 Silver Arrow ATX Case
$130 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$130 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Full Tower ATX Case
$130 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-002OR Black Finish w/Orange Trim Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - Antec P280 ATX Case
$140 - Antec Performance One Series P183 V3 ATX Case
$143 - Cooler Master HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$144 - Silverstone RV03B-WA ATX case
$160 - Corsair Graphite Series 600TM ATX Case
$160 - Silverstone RV02B-W ATX case
$164 - Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T ATX Case
$178 - Silverstone RV02B-EW ATX case
$170 - Corsair Obsidian Series 650D ATX Case
$230 - Silverstone FT02B ATX Case
$270 - Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Full Tower ATX Case

Now you have ~$1000 to pick out 3 monitors and a case. Since you wont be gaming with this setup, no need for a second GPU since you can run the third monitor off the CPU/Motherboard. The 550 Ti will accelerate the latest version of Photoshop, so if your friend is using the newest software (or at least CS 5) he'll benefit from it.

Did not check if that W7 Ultimate license was part of the budget or not, but either way unless you already own it. Get W7 Pro ($140) at the highest, you wont notice a difference. (If there is no need to go over 16GB of RAM, then just get the cheaper Home version ($100)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks folks, It appears that he is now telling me that he had chosen the Adobe Premiere and Photoshop because Google told him it was the best out there! :eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

Sorry to bring this info to you so late in the game but, in his defense, he does not know much about this thing, he has learn to do what he does by trial and error but, I told him that for me to be able to help him, he needs to give me all the information, this way, I can also ask you guys to help me better ;) :p

So, being that he knows nothing about using Adobe Premier or Photoshop, what do you guys recommend?

It turns out he has been using Nero but since his computer (more than 10 yrs old and probably a low end Dell or HP) doesn't handle it, he thought it would be best to get the Adobe. I have told him to stick to what he knows since he will have a hard time learning a new software. I also told him to look into getting GIMP for photo editing and the new version of Nero should be more than adequate... was I right? :confused:

Thanks folks, It appears that he is now telling me that he had chosen the Adobe Premiere and Photoshop because Google told him it was the best out there! :eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

Sorry to bring this info to you so late in the game but, in his defense, he does not know much about this thing, he has learn to do what he does by trial and error but, I told him that for me to be able to help him, he needs to give me all the information, this way, I can also ask you guys to help me better ;) :p

So, being that he knows nothing about using Adobe Premier or Photoshop, what do you guys recommend?

It turns out he has been using Nero but since his computer (more than 10 yrs old and probably a low end Dell or HP) doesn't handle it, he thought it would be best to get the Adobe. I have told him to stick to what he knows since he will have a hard time learning a new software. I also told him to look into getting GIMP for photo editing and the new version of Nero should be more than adequate... was I right? :confused:

Which edition of Photoshop and/or Premiere?

If it's the cheaper Elements, the person who will be using that system does not need all that much in the way of higher-end components although I would simply go with 8GB of RAM because RAM is so cheap right now.

However, if it's the pricier Creative Suite (Photoshop CS5 and Premiere Pro CS5.5), get at least a GTX 560 or 560 Ti for that new build (in addition to the 8GB or more RAM, preferably 16GB of RAM - and stick with nVidia since ATi/AMD GPUs cannot utilize GPU acceleration with these programs). The reason why I'm recommending a 560 rather than a cheaper 550 Ti because the 560 has a much better performance for-the-buck value (because the 550 Ti is not priced all that much lower than the 560). Also, a conventional 1TB 7200 RPM hard drive or two is strongly recommended with these higher-end programs in addition to the OS drive.

In either case, stick with Intel for the CPU: AMD CPUs are significantly slower than a comparably priced Intel CPU in these apps due in large part to the lack of SSE 4.1 or SSE 4.2 support in the AMD CPUs.

Last edited:
While a 560 Ti is much faster than a 550 Ti in gaming, I doubt the person using the PC will be able to tell a difference with the Adobe software and since a 560 Ti is nearly $50 more expensive, it's up to him on whether or not he wants to spend the money for performance that will probably go unnoticed.

While a 560 Ti is much faster than a 550 Ti in gaming, I doubt the person using the PC will be able to tell a difference with the Adobe software and since a 560 Ti is nearly $50 more expensive, it's up to him on whether or not he wants to spend the money for performance that will probably go unnoticed.

I was talking about the non-Ti 560.

Also, in Premirer Pro CS5.5, anything below a 550 Ti will be downright sluggish, especially on systems with fast i7 CPUs.

I was talking about the non-Ti 560.

Also, in Premirer Pro CS5.5, anything below a 550 Ti will be downright sluggish, especially on systems with fast i7 CPUs.

Right.

The cheapest 560 Non Ti GPU I would recommend is this one.

$184.99 - GIGABYTE GV-N56GOC-1GI GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB

It's a full $55 more expensive than the 550 Ti I recommended. :eek:

Considering the OP's budget and the improved performance of the 560 in Premiere Pro, $55 extra isn't exactly a big issue.

Got it... so, if he will NOT opt for the Adobe but any other editing software (ie: Nero), do he still needs to go with the Non-Ti 560 or would any other good card (Nvidia preferred) would do?

Got it... so, if he will NOT opt for the Adobe but any other editing software (ie: Nero), do he still needs to go with the Non-Ti 560 or would any other good card (Nvidia preferred) would do?

If it's a cheapo consumer software, then it doesn't matter which GPU. In fact, even integrated or onboard would suffice since those cheapo programs do not use the GPU much if at all.

I think I am biased towards Adobe, not saying it's the best but it's what I definitely prefer over others that I've used in the past.

If it's a cheapo consumer software, then it doesn't matter which GPU. In fact, even integrated or onboard would suffice since those cheapo programs do not use the GPU much if at all.
Ahhh, thanks for that info.

I think I am biased towards Adobe, not saying it's the best but it's what I definitely prefer over others that I've used in the past.
I don't know what version of Nero he is using at the moment and the little I know about Nero is that they almost always change their 'Look & Feel', which sucks because, pretty much you have to re learn the whole thing again.

Being said that, given his history with Nero, would he be better off going with Nero or he wouldn't have that much problem learning how to use adobe Premiere and Photoshop? Are they both even similar or am I trying to Compare Oranges to Apples? :confused:

Seeing as to depending on the software, he might want to invest a lot of money on a good Video Card, I rather be sure that what I will be building for him is not overkill... Even though he is willing to spend all that money, it doesn't mean he has to, right? ;)

Remember:... he does a lot of editing, cutting, pasting of his own videos and pictures but he does not do this as part of his job nor he does Sign work (ie: Commercial). I am looking for a program that will help him w/o having to send him to MIT to learn it :p :D

Edius NEO 3 for $200 is the best video editing app for the that amount.

Pretty sure Nero has the same thing, but there are hundreds if not thousands of video tutorials all over youtube to show you pretty much everything you need to know with Adobes products, and generally Adobe doesn't change the layout all that often. Once you learn the software, learning how to use a different version (especially newer) isn't all that difficult.

I appreciate it Zepher but I rather give him something that he will be comfortable with and won't regret or resent me in the future :D

For his needs, does he really needs to get the Pro version of premiere elements + photoshop elements? If both can be used with a 64 bit OS, what are the big differences between the two? is there a website I can check this out? Adobe does not really has a comparison between the two.

I appreciate it Zepher but I rather give him something that he will be comfortable with and won't regret or resent me in the future :D

For his needs, does he really needs to get the Pro version of premiere elements + photoshop elements? If both can be used with a 64 bit OS, what are the big differences between the two? is there a website I can check this out? Adobe does not really has a comparison between the two.

Your friend has to determine on his own whether or not he can get by with Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements. Fortunately, Adobe offers trials of its programs.

You'll likely need to read third-party reviews of Photoshop/Premiere Elements to determine the key differences between them and their "full-version" counterparts. Unfortunately, I haven't found a single review that lists all of the key differences.

OK, he is going to buy the Adobe Premiere + Photoshop element 10 + an Acer 27" LCD-LED Monitor so... I guess I can save him some money on the Video Card. Here's what I have been able to combine between the recommended products.

I am still debating whether the PSU is good enough to handle the Video Card... hopefully, you will tell me that.

Also, feel free to point out the weaknesses in my options if you see any...Am I missing something?:

1.- Case Cooler Master HAF922... $ 109.98

2.- Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3... $ 189.99

3.- Power Supply Antec NEO ECO 620W... $ 72.98 (*) (*) Will this work with the Video Card?

4.- CPU Intel i5-2500K 3.3Ghz... $ 224.99

5.- RAM Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) ... $ 134.99

6a.- 1st Hard Drive Crucial M4 128GB SSD... $ 149.00

6b.- 2nd Hard Drive WD 1TB Sata3 REFUR... $ 89.99

7.- Video Card EVGA GTX 550 Ti... $ 144.99 ($124.99 after MiR)

8a.- Blue Ray Player LG BR Burner... $ 74.99

8b.- CD/DVD PlayerSony Optiarc 24x DVD Burner... $ 18.99

9a.- Internal Card ReaderMulti Card Reader... $ 19.99

9b.- Reader Bracket Multi Reader 3.5 Bracket... $ 8.99

10.- 27" LCD-LED MOnitor Acer 27" LCD-LED ... $ 267.48

11.- Mouse & Keyboard Combo Logitech MK550 KB+Mouse Combo... $ 68.99

12.- Operating System Win 7 Pro 64 bit... $ 139.99

13.- Application Software Adobe Pre + PHo Elements 10... $ 101.20

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That motherboard is over priced. The board I recommended has all the features you'll need in question #9. Since the case you selected has an eSATA port on the front panel, no need to have an eSATA port on the rear motherboard. Especially since eSATA is generally used for external hard drives so it's easily accessible on the front anyway.

At $135, that RAM is over priced. No need to spend that kind of money when you can either get two 8GB kits at $35 each that I recommended in a previous post or get this 16GB kit.

$89.99 - G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Do note that RAM speed/timings do not effect Sandy Bridge's performance very much at all. However, Ivy Bridge might require DDR3 1600 memory, so if you think that might be an upgrade path later then go with DDR3 1600, otherwise DDR3 1333 will be fine.

I would never recommend buying an open box hard drive, especially one that's not even all that fast. Yes I know you got an SSD for speed, but hard drives can effect speed as well. Go with this brand new faster hard drive.

$146.28 - HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.D HDS721010DLE630 (0F13180) 1TB

Video card is fine.

That motherboard is over priced. The board I recommended has all the features you'll need in question #9. Since the case you selected has an eSATA port on the front panel, no need to have an eSATA port on the rear motherboard. Especially since eSATA is generally used for external hard drives so it's easily accessible on the front anyway.

Actually, that mobo is not that overpriced given its noticeably higher quality than the P8Z68-V LX. However, both of those Z68 boards are overkill for what the OP's friend needs it for. Plus, the quality of the P8Z68-V LX isn't all that good given its capabilities and features. As a result, if the OP's friend will not be overclocking the CPU at all, he can save even more money by going with an Intel-branded DH67BL board for $90 shipped at Newegg (unless he really needs more than four available internal SATA ports after accounting for the case's front eSATA port). This is because the Intel-brand board has an onboard Intel NIC whereas the Asus V/LX makes do with a Realtek NIC (the OP would have to spend at least $190, the price of the Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3, just to get an onboard Intel NIC instead of a Realtek NIC).

Actually, that mobo is not that overpriced given its noticeably higher quality than the P8Z68-V LX. However, both of those Z68 boards are overkill for what the OP's friend needs it for. Plus, the quality of the P8Z68-V LX isn't all that good given its capabilities and features. As a result, if the OP's friend will not be overclocking the CPU at all, he can save even more money by going with an Intel-branded DH67BL board for $90 shipped at Newegg (unless he really needs more than four available internal SATA ports after accounting for the case's front eSATA port). This is because the Intel-brand board has an onboard Intel NIC whereas the Asus V/LX makes do with a Realtek NIC (the OP would have to spend at least $190, the price of the Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3, just to get an onboard Intel NIC instead of a Realtek NIC).

Higher quality for over clocking, the OP isn't over clocking. Both NICs will still be limited by the Internet connection as well. Don't think he plans on transferring entire 1TB hard drive contents over the network. :)

Which I just realized I somehow deleted the sentence where I'd recommend him to go with a 2600 instead of the 2500k since he isn't overclocking or if he doesn't want to spend the money, go with a 2400 instead.

Am I right in thinking the above mentioned Adobe products will work better with a i7 2600 rather than a 2500?

Am I right in thinking the above mentioned Adobe products will work better with a i7 2600 rather than a 2500?

This is due to the fact that Photoshop, and especially Premiere, can take significant advantage of more than four threads from the CPU. In other words, the Adobe products make good use of the four extra threads offered by the i7-2600's Hyperthreading feature. The i5-2500 has four physical cores - but due to its lack of Hyperthreading, it is limited to four threads total.

OK, a little more confuse than I was a few hours prior but... I do appreciate all the help and tips.

I will follow your lead and try to come up with newer board and Ram... I am a little iffy with what to do with the CPU as those last posts went a little over my head.

In short, for what he is doing and with the Adobe... which CPU should I opt for and what board and Ram to go with it so I don't mix and match? Last thing I want to do is spend his money totally in the wrong way.

Why Windows 7 Pro? What features does it have that your friend will actually use that justifies the extra costs over Windows 7 Home Premium?

In short, for what he is doing and with the Adobe... which CPU should I opt for and what board and Ram to go with it so I don't mix and match? Last thing I want to do is spend his money totally in the wrong way.

Core i7 2600
$90 - Intel BOXDH67BLB3 Intel H67 mATX Motherboard
Any of the 16GB RAM setups that Skillz has recommended so far. He's recommended two of them.

Stick with Skillz's recommendation on the hard drive as well.

OK, a little more confuse than I was a few hours prior but... I do appreciate all the help and tips.

I will follow your lead and try to come up with newer board and Ram... I am a little iffy with what to do with the CPU as those last posts went a little over my head.

Basically the difference between an Intel i5 2500k and the Intel i5 2500 is the Intel i5 2500k has an unlocked multiplier, so it makes overclocking EXTREMELY easy. Like... should be able to hit 4.5Ghz stable with a descent cooler. The Intel i5 2400 is basically the same as the Intel i5 2400 only slightly slower clock speed.

The Intel i7 2600 is a quad core processor, much like the i5 processors above only it has Hyper Threading. Meaning each core has two threads. Therefore it's got 8 logical processors. Some applications, such as the ones your friend will be using can make use of the HT while some things do not (Such as games)

The RAM isn't as important with Sandy Bridge as it used to be. Therefore, ignore speed/timings and go with a descent set of RAM from a reputable manufacturer. Such as the ones I recommended. Sandy Bridge's RAM runs at 1333, so get 1333. However, Ivy Bridge might run at 1600, so if you think upgrading that in the future might be an option, go with 1600 now. The difference in performance between DDR3 1333 and DDR3 1600 is piratically unnoticeable. Since RAM is cheap, go with the 16GB DDR3 1600 I recommended.

As for motherboard, your call.

If you want the faster Intel NIC and it's worth the extra money over the board I recommended then go with it.

If you still want to save money, then go with the Intel board E4g1e recommended. However it only has 4 SATA ports. You already have 4 SATA devices you plan to use (2 optical drives, 1 hdd and 1 SATA) so you wont be able to hook up that eSATA port on the front of the case since all the ports will be used. (Do note that there is an eSATA port on the rear of the motherboard)

So up to you if...

1. You want an Intel NIC + extra SATA ports
2. You want a Realtek NIC + extra SATA ports
3. You want an Intel NIC + enough SATA ports for the devices you've already purchased.

Edit
+1 on the Windows 7 Home, I thought we already cleared the differences earlier in the thread.

Again, thanks a million... I have a thick head when it comes to understanding these things but I think I am getting the hang of it

I have read that Home premium always lacks so I figured I would go with Pro or Ultimate but again... I have learn that unless he will use those extra features like XP Mode (which I don't know) then, there is no need for it.

Thanks, I will revise my components and post back to see what you guys think.

I have read that Home premium always lacks so I figured I would go with Pro or Ultimate but again... I have learn that unless he will use those extra features like XP Mode (which I don't know) then, there is no need for it.

Also, as I mentioned several times, he will need at least the Pro version if his system will have more than 16GB of RAM installed. Home Premium supports only up to 16GB of RAM (the OS will work on systems with more than 16GB installed, but only the first 16GB will be recognized; in this case, the RAM amount in system properties would read "##GB, 16GB usable").

Back