physics?

spock

Gawd
Quick speculation... If I buy and use a 7600GT now, then upgrade to an 8800GTX (or similar) later, is it possible that the 7600GT could ever be used for physics acceleration? I'm thinking about the 680i platform and its 3x PCI-E slots...

I suppose even if it can't do physics I could use it as another 2x DVI ports...

The new RD600 boards for ATI will be able to do this eventually, but I haven't heard anything definite from nVidia. I do remember hearing something about using a 7600GS (example) for physics sometime, though, so it's not too far away for either company.

Yeah maybe I will pick up a 7600GT then... I need a new computer badly and I have the cash right now. I'm so sick of waiting for R600, Q6600 (to get cheaper), Asus Commando, etc...

It's really too bad I can't just continue to use my 6800 AGP in a new motherboard. Buying the 7600 seems like such a waste if I'm just going to toss it in a few months.

I highly doubt anything other than an 8800 series from Nvidia would be able to do acceptable physics acceleration, if any. A 1600, 1800, or 1900 or newer from ATI should work but until either company actually releases some form of physics acceleration it's hard to tell.

The dynamic branching performance is likely the limiting factor on being able to really accelerate physics and out side of those cards it's really bad.

Back