PhysX Performance Update: GPU vs. PPU vs. CPU

You have a point, but at the same time not, what does it prove? The other cards don't have Physx... that is it.

You have a point, but at the same time not, what does it prove? The other cards don't have Physx... that is it.

The sky is blue, but not at night, what does that prove?.. Really, wtf are you talking about? Yeah, the ATI doesn't have physx - we know.. so? The Nvidia card DOES, the PPU DOES. Do you see where I am going with this?

Hardware-based physics, whether done by a Geforce card or dedicated PhysX card is faster than a quad-core CPU, which I think is the most important thing (but that's hardly news). However, GPU physics hogs up the GPU for physics work - what happens if you use it in a very shader intensive scene?

Developers don't like proprietary APIs (e.g Glide). With ATI gaining market share, there will be an industry standard for physics much like there is for hardware accelerated 3d graphics and sound. There's nothing that prevents a 4800-series card from doing hardware accelerated physics other than drivers and licensing. Indeed, the whole RV770 architecture is geared towards compute, where as Nvidia is more optimized for texture heavy situations.

I hope ATI gets PhysX support.

I love good physics in my games, Force Unleashed looks like an awesome game 80% because of the physics (and 20% because its star wars :p).

Let ATI have PhysX so we can all enjoy it!

star wars uses havoc not physx which ati has this physx is limited to warmonger lol nvidia really knows how to manipulate ppls mind

Force Unleashed isn't on PC & most likely will never be due to idiot devs.

The sky is blue, but not at night, what does that prove?.. Really, wtf are you talking about? Yeah, the ATI doesn't have physx - we know.. so? The Nvidia card DOES, the PPU DOES. Do you see where I am going with this?

Actually, the sky isn't blue. It is a mix of transparent gases that scatter short wavelength light more than the longer.

Back