Picking a good OS to learn (x86, RS/6000, SPARC)

cymon

Limp Gawd
cymon said:
And nobody once mentioned Solaris Containers.
Has word finally gotten out to the real world that A) Containers are shitty B) Solaris 10 is buggy as fuck C) betting anything on Solaris 10 is Russian Roulette or D) All Of The Above?
Glory glory hallelujah.

Not to thread crap here, however I'd like to know what would be a better OS than Solaris to run. I'm not running any production networks, however, it's an interest and I'd like to know what would be a good OS to learn.

To elaborate on this: I'm off to college soon and I've got some servers that I'm going to set up. I have standard Xeon based systems, some UltraSPARC systems (a Sun Fire v880) and two IBM RS/6000 systems, 7026-H50 and a 7026-H70 (PPC and RS64-II, respectively). VMWare ESXi is an option, I'm not sure if the RS/6000 systems are new enough to support LPARs, however, there should be some form of virtualization available on the other platforms. I also can get a Sun Fire 4800 from a friend of mine, which supports partitioning. Basically, I'm looking for a good OS to learn here, I've got a decent assortment of hardware, hell, I can even rustle up a PA-RISC box so as long as we're not talking VMS here, I can probably run it. What would be a reliable, quality OS to run and learn?

Last edited:
I can say for sure that HP-UX is garbage and I'd let Derek Smart design me an OS to use before that crap.

I don't know about Solaris 10 but I like OpenSolaris. Not as much as Linux though.

Back