Pimax!!!...So instead of creating the 12x... They decided to make another 2 headsets on-top of the last 2 headsets...

Maybe they decided that there is no currently available gpu that can run at 12K resolution with acceptable refresh rates to power the 12K yet so bolster sales with what people actually wanted to begin with like respectable clarity ,resolution , decent frame rates without the excess expense of things they'll likely never use?

Maybe they decided that there is no currently available gpu that can run at 12K resolution with acceptable refresh rates to power the 12K yet so bolster sales with what people actually wanted to begin with like respectable clarity ,resolution , decent frame rates without the excess expense of things they'll likely never use?

I don't think it has anything to do with current GPUs. I think they can't actually build it. The parts can't be made or manufactured, or built at a reasonable price, etc.

Pimax is the essence of a child enthusiast turned into a company.

Any cool idea that pops into their head they attempt to turn into a full fledged product. It doesn't matter how technically unfeasable it is or what the drawbacks are, they're going to try to make it.

Yea that sounds about right but that's the attitude of most pioneers in any field of endeavor and perhaps why I like their products and continue to enjoy their efforts even when some think it's a fault. I've witnessed many instances in life where folks have said "it can't be done" and someone stubborn enough proves it can. Hell maybe I'm one of those stubborn bastards IDK.

Yea that sounds about right but that's the attitude of most pioneers in any field of endeavor and perhaps why I like their products and continue to enjoy their efforts even when some think it's a fault. I've witnessed many instances in life where folks have said "it can't be done" and someone stubborn enough proves it can. Hell maybe I'm one of those stubborn bastards IDK.

Yeah it's definitely a double edged sword.

I want Pimax to succeed because I love their ideas. So far the end results haven't been worth the trade offs for me. I'm still happy they're around and pushing the envelope though.

The Crystal Super is interesting, but with those kind of prices I expect OLED panels to do more than 90hz - at least 120hz. I'd be interested to see how they stack up to the latest from Varjo and similar, but ultimately the big concern for me is the openness of the technology. So far only Valve with the Index has put open source platform independent VR on the forefront, Linux support etc... and I'd be more inclined to support Pimax if they did the same . Their upscaling, FOVeated rendering, eye tracking, inside-out rendering/ lightouse tracking drivers etc... if all of it is Windows only and proprietary software/drivers as a requirement, that's disappointing. That's to say nothing for the 12K project, but extreme hardware doesn't mean much if the experience isn't meaningfully better.

I figured that in the wake of the Apple VR headset we'd see more projects with higher prices for better or worse, but what we really need is open, platform independent standards with room to grow and reference implementations thereof. Valve seem to be one of the few who understands this and its no surprise that their SteamVR/OpenVR on the software side, but also things like the Knuckles controller having finger/hand tracking opening the gateway to that being a common feature in VR software and later hardware. FOViated rendering, eye tracking, wired/wireless and others can use this, but there are also things like full body tracking systems (those seeking it now choose from one of many either piecemeal slapdash tracking solutions with a complex software stack and hope all works, or a handful of often proprietary hardware and software integrations), next gen haptics, and locomotion systems up to and including omnidirectional treadmills. There's a lot of other stuff towatch besides improvement to lens and resolution to really have a breakthrough and I can only hope that Valve is paying attention and Deckard will be a big step forward in meaningful ways.

https://github.com/mbucchia/Pimax-OpenXR is as close as it gets with Pimax headsets at this point. The dev that created/maintains is really cool and even pops on to open mr forum occasionally to help folks that are struggling to get it functional. Performance is quite good using it on MSFS and DCS.

I don't think it has anything to do with current GPUs.
It'll need DP2.1 to be a thing first. DP1.4 doesn't have the bandwidth. Look at the issues XR4 is having due to DP1.4 requiring everything to run OpenXR and DFR otherwise you're playing at a Quest 3 resolution.

Last edited:
It'll need DP2.1 to be a thing first. DP1.4 doesn't have the bandwidth. Look at the issues XR4 is having having due to DP1.4 requiring everything to run OpenXR and DFR otherwise you're playing at a Quest 3 resolution.
That would make it easier for them, but they could use 2 cables if they really wanted to, one driving each screen. It might be a bit beyond Pimax's capabilities, or what they want to take on, but it's definitely doable.

Back