Pimp My Hardware

Makes sense in a way, if the owner spends $500 on WC gear he deserves to have a free case pimping....

madmat said:
Makes sense in a way, if the owner spends $500 on WC gear he deserves to have a free case pimping....

ROFL, but I think they are planing on doing it in video or as a local TV thing in Berlin. :D BTW, do you really think $500 is a lot of money to spend on your water cooling system when people often invest in expensive cases, exotic hard drives, extravagant sound systems, state of the art CPU's, motherboards, and video cards? You probably don't want to know how much I have invested in my water cooling setup. ;)

Top Nurse said:
ROFL, but I think they are planing on doing it in video or as a local TV thing in Berlin. :D BTW, do you really think $500 is a lot of money to spend on your water cooling system when people often invest in expensive cases, exotic hard drives, extravagant sound systems, state of the art CPU's, motherboards, and video cards? You probably don't want to know how much I have invested in my water cooling setup. ;)

Since I have a pretty nice AC setup, I would guess 1500 :) ! Give or take a couple hundred.

I'd happily spend $500 on a water cooling system that both met my requirements and looked sweet while doing it. $1500 is starting to get silly (okay, it's actually past silly IMO). No offense Top Nurse, I know what you're working on and can't wait to see it.

I prefer to balance the expense of cooling everything and just upgrading everything.

If you're watercooling to accomodate an overclock, at some point you're better off just buying a new processor (or whatever). Even some of the most expensive chips are -$1000, while watercooling is fun enough to afford a couple extra hundred it's way I can't imagine I'd ever drop those kind of bills on it.

But to each his own. Without the Aquaero I'm ordering in the next few weeks, the loop I'm planning is about $300. Throw the Aquaero on top and I top $500 but nowhere near the investment TN has made. Of course, noone is going to drool over my rig either when put next to TN's.

GokuSSL said:
Since I have a pretty nice AC setup, I would guess 1500 :) ! Give or take a couple hundred.

Close ;) But I would imagine a few hundred more when I get the three silver blocks :D Just want to make sure that I can't get a silver TwinPlex Pro before I order three silver TwinPlex's to go with my silver XT.

BellaCroix said:
I'd happily spend $500 on a water cooling system that both met my requirements and looked sweet while doing it. $1500 is starting to get silly (okay, it's actually past silly IMO). No offense Top Nurse, I know what you're working on and can't wait to see it.

I prefer to balance the expense of cooling everything and just upgrading everything.

If you're watercooling to accomodate an overclock, at some point you're better off just buying a new processor (or whatever). Even some of the most expensive chips are -$1000, while watercooling is fun enough to afford a couple extra hundred it's way I can't imagine I'd ever drop those kind of bills on it.

But to each his own. Without the Aquaero I'm ordering in the next few weeks, the loop I'm planning is about $300. Throw the Aquaero on top and I top $500 but nowhere near the investment TN has made. Of course, noone is going to drool over my rig either when put next to TN's.

Well some might think it is crazy! My brother certainly thinks so, but he drives around on the weekends in a 60 foot yacht which I think is definitely crazy :eek: Funny part is that I have an A8N-SLI Deluxe with a 3500+ Winchester, two Asus 6600GT's and a Gb of Corsair XMS Pro memory that I have never turned the juice on yet. Been thinking lately that I should ditch the hardware till I get all the case mods done, water cooling stuff in, and then buy whatever is the hottest thing out. :D I also look at the case and water cooling thing as an investment because it will last through many MB, CPU, and video card upgrades. Besides if things get tough I will have a whole bunch of metal that will be easily barterable for food and weapons when the lights go out.

Top Nurse said:
Been thinking lately that I should ditch the hardware till I get all the case mods done, water cooling stuff in, and then buy whatever is the hottest thing out. :D
mushkin redline memory, all the way!

although, scrap steel prices have been pretty competetive in the face of the chinese economy with their increasing auto and building production.

by the same token, with their northern oil resources having recently dried up........USA inc. could very shortly become a wholly owned subsidiary of the people's republic.

Top Nurse said:

Well, yeah I think $500 is a lot to spend on watercooling considering for that same $500 plus a bit more, say about $40 pre-shipping, I could buy a TDX, a Maze4 GPU, 7 feet of tubing, a fillport kit, a BIE 2x120mm rad with fans, D5 pump and a Lian Li V2000 case. So yeah, $500 for just WC gear seems a bit absurd to me.

madmat said:
Well, yeah I think $500 is a lot to spend on watercooling considering for that same $500 plus a bit more, say about $40 pre-shipping, I could buy a TDX, a Maze4 GPU, 7 feet of tubing, a fillport kit, a BIE 2x120mm rad with fans, D5 pump and a Lian Li V2000 case. So yeah, $500 for just WC gear seems a bit absurd to me.

Then don't buy it. BTW, what kind of car do you drive?

I don't own a car. My last car was a '94 Buick LeSabre though if that means anything, I bought it used in 2002 for $6800. The one before that was a '01 Daewoo Leganza new off the showroom floor and prior to that a '90 Pontiac T/A with about $7000.00 worth of stereo equipment in it.

Top Nurse said:
Then don't buy it. BTW, what kind of car do you drive?

I know where you are going with this TN and before I go to bed I want to say your favorite car to watercooling analogy is very fundamentally flawed, im tired so I will tell you how later tomorrow when I get back from work if you wish.

P.S. - I drive a passat...that would be a GERMAN car, so dont think I have a bias against germans....I mean I am like 1/4 or 1/3 german or something.

I ride motorbikes.

>$200K car performance all wrapped in a $12K package.

Performance tweaked and tuned exactly where it's needed and no added baggage. 0-60mph in 2.8s, 0-120mph in 7.5s, and 180mph top-speed.

Can argue about cars all you want, but a bike will run rings around any car unless you're talking about stupid amounts of money being spent on the car, and what is a bike if not a minimalist performance oriented device with a highly efficient 1000cc engine (pump), a huge radiator to cool the engine, a highly efficient low-energy loss drive system (chain-drive equating to big-bore ID tubing), and a power-to-weight ratio not matched by anything short of a very heavily worked (turbo/supercharged) car.

Oh how I used to enjoy it when some guy in his new Ferrari decided to try to drag me off with his girl-friend sitting beside him, only to be spanked each and every time.

Yes, you can spend lots of money and look good, or you can spend your money wisely on a performance tuned machine that loses the baggage.

So yeah, there's MY vehicle vs watercooling analogy. :D

Back