Pineview? Tiger Point?

mpichescs

Limp Gawd
I started shopping around for a 10" netbook and I come across a news item that states intel is going to start introducing the Pineview processor and Tiger Point chipset for 10" netbooks in september. I read about it here.

Does anyone know any details about these? I'm wondering if I should wait until september or just pick one up now. Do you think Intel would go for better performance or less power?

For what its worth here's the Inq's take on things: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1050519/intel-pineview-hit-shelves-half-09

From what I've read, it seems like an incremental update. Likely, it will draw slightly less power and be slightly faster.

I bought an Eee 1000HA for my girlfriend, upgraded the RAM to 2GB, and am soon to receive a fast 4GB SDHC card for ReadyBoost. (I did install Vista on it, 32-bit; though the Atom is listed as being 64-bit capable it seems the motherboard doesn't support 64-bit--I bet the a desktop Atom platform would handle it though.)

I guess it depends on your exact situation, but if you don't already have a laptop, I'd say go ahead and get one now. The hard-drive based netbooks are bottlenecked by the hard-drive anyway. (Lots of people upgrade the HDD, sometimes to 7200 rpm ones). If you're looking to save money, slickdeals.net frequently features deals on refurbished netbooks. You get a limited warranty, of course, but the savings can be quite substantial.

Back