pinless p4 ?

Ren H

Limp Gawd
picked up this chip at garage sale:
2.66ghz/1m/533

It has no pins! Just circular contacts.
What's up with that? Can somebody tell me what sort of socket this chip is for?

picked up this chip at garage sale:
2.66ghz/1m/533

It has no pins! Just circular contacts.
What's up with that? Can somebody tell me what sort of socket this chip is for?

That P4 is one of more recent ones made for Landing Grid Array (LGA) 775. It won't work in Socket 478. You need a mobo with a 775 socket (also called Socket T or LGA 775).

Relax it isn't damaged if that's what your thinking. Don't make it into a key chain.

So these sockets don't use pins, seems odd, ok thanks.
I wonder if I can clock this up at all...

the socket on the motherboard has pins, and those circular contacts sit on the pins.

One of the newer chipsets should still accept the chip though seeing as how the socket hasn't changed, correct?
Or are c2d sockets different?
I'm thinking I could use this as stepping stone, get good current board and great price on ram now, upgrade chip later

One of the newer chipsets should still accept the chip though seeing as how the socket hasn't changed, correct?
Or are c2d sockets different?
I'm thinking I could use this as stepping stone, get good current board and great price on ram now, upgrade chip later

You can do that, however you won't be able to once Nehalem comes out. Nehalem will use a different socket.

Intel "3 series" chipset (G33, P35, etc) does not claim support for the P4 LGA775's. Their stated position is that they do not support it. If it works - great, if not - don't come crying. So I wouldn't spend money on getting that cpu to work in a c2d motherboard.

You'll find your C2D looks exactly the same way - Intel chips stopped having pins in like 2006.

Intel "3 series" chipset (G33, P35, etc) does not claim support for the P4 LGA775's. Their stated position is that they do not support it. If it works - great, if not - don't come crying. So I wouldn't spend money on getting that cpu to work in a c2d motherboard.

You'll find your C2D looks exactly the same way - Intel chips stopped having pins in like 2006.

My P4 630 worked fine with my G35 though, and manufacturers like ASUS claim that they do.

FYI, a dual core Celeron E1200 is only $50, so you won't be saving much.

How much did you pay? :D

including a pair of Diamond 3dfx sli boards, three audigys (audigy, audigy2, audigy2 ZS), a gforce 2 gts and nice old hercules sound card, $40
:D

now a friend has given me an ecs p4m800pro-m (takes both ddr and ddr2 533) along with a celery of the same speed

looks like I've got some playing around to do! (and maybe update that sig too hehe)

Not bad eh? Now I just have to decide which audigy I should give my friend. He's abandoned Vista so it should work, hehe.

Thinking of picking up some fast ddr2, for future upgrade, I just hope the bios doesn't choke on it, don't suppose it would but you never know...

Would you know if this stock fan that came with the celeron (.42Amp, 1-1/4"*3-1/2") would be the same as for the P4, or what yours was?

Back