Pirated Windows 7 Builds Botnet with Trojan

They aren't "giving it away". You sign a EULA remember? There are HUGE implications when it comes to the copyright. Mostly, when it turns it self off next year.

If you don't sign thier EULA and get a legal key from them then you are pirating the software. (Unauthorized use = piracy).

Furthermore, the torrents were up a day or two BEFORE it was released for "free".

The windows 7 RC build is not shareware.

This post gave me a headache.. :rolleyes:

First of all, no one "signed" anything. Second, yes they are giving it away. When they publicly released the beta, they gave all public downloades one out of the same ten keys. Those same keys still work for the RC. If they were so worried about their copyrights, which there is no reason they would have to, then they'd make sure that every key was unique and that some system was in place to validate or blacklist they key that aren't legit or have been used too many times.

If you installed it, you had to "digitally" sign thier EULA. It doesn't matter if they only gave out 1 key. You still signed the EULA. If you are using thier software without signing a EULA then you are now a criminal.

If you installed it, you had to "digitally" sign thier EULA. It doesn't matter if they only gave out 1 key. You still signed the EULA. If you are using thier software without signing a EULA then you are now a criminal.

Really, tell me what law is being broken?

lol...

Prove it.

Oh, by the way. Here's the installation terms of the Win7-RC EULA

1. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. Software License. You may install and use any number of copies of the software on devices on your premises to design, develop and test your programs for use with the software.
You may not use the software in a live operating environment unless Microsoft permits you to do so under another agreement.
b. Time-Sensitive Software. The software will stop running on June 1, 2010. You may not receive any other notice. You may not be able to access data used with the software when it stops running.
c. Term. The term of this agreement will expire on June 1, 2010. You have the right to use the software under the license terms of this agreement during this period. If you do not have a product key, you may need to reinstall the software every 30 days.
d. Font Components. While the software is running, you may use its fonts (including software, metrics and data) to display and print content. You may only:
· Embed fonts in content as permitted by the embedding restrictions in the fonts; and
· Temporarily download them to a printer or other output device to help print content.
e. Icons and other visual assets. Subject to these license terms, you may not copy or modify the images and other visual assets in the software for any other purpose.

Later on it talks about being repsonsible for keys assigned to you, and not sharing them. But if they give everyone the same key or set of keys, it's kinda hard to enforce that clause isn't it?

So, any information on how to find out if a particular machine is infected? Does it use a rootkit or can you just check for the presence of files and/or correct size/etc of system files?

Oh, by the way. Here's the installation terms of the Win7-RC EULA

Yes, and if you didn't sign the EULA then they have given you zero rights to thier software.

Later on it talks about being repsonsible for keys assigned to you, and not sharing them. But if they give everyone the same key or set of keys, it's kinda hard to enforce that clause isn't it?
Enforcement is irrelovent. If you speed on the way to work, but did it while no one was around, you still broke the law. If you murder someone but can't prove it, you are still a criminal.

Futhermore, it is easy for them to tell if they gave it to you or not. You have to sign in and enter in information. If they have no record of you signing into thier site then it's going to be pretty easy for them to say you didn't.

Who would be stupid enough to download pirated software off torrents? Prepare to be owned.

Even for Linux I won't dl off torent...I stick with the official repos.

Then i take it you only used build 7000 and build 7100 as all other builds were not available directly from MS for most people.

You agree to the EULA during install.

I don't understand your point.

Vengence said:

is it bad that i just read this entire thread solely for the lulz? i got to that one guys post about finding a crack for the RC and it said banned next to his name. he obviously wasnt banned when he posted that 2 hours ago. i couldnt wait to get to the part where kyle smashed the poor guys skull in with the banhammer. :D and then of course the constant flames for peoples' inability to use google. lmgtfy.com is a good site for that too.

oh and to make sure this post is on-topic... nvm i dont have anything important to say. carry on.

Yes, and if you didn't sign the EULA then they have given you zero rights to thier software.

Enforcement is irrelovent. If you speed on the way to work, but did it while no one was around, you still broke the law. If you murder someone but can't prove it, you are still a criminal.

Futhermore, it is easy for them to tell if they gave it to you or not. You have to sign in and enter in information. If they have no record of you signing into thier site then it's going to be pretty easy for them to say you didn't.

You're examples are flawed. I can murder someone and not be charged for a "crime" because it was done lawfully. MS fully intended and knew that the builds they gave out would be torrented and spread, it was cheaper for them to distribute a few copies and let those people put the ISO's up on torrents to spread the software, thus MS doesn't have to eat the bandwidth bill every time they released another multi-gb ISO x2.

Try not to play the holier than thou, never done something illegal in your life crap. By your own definition if you went just 1 mile over the speed limit your are a criminal. Didn't signal your turn in the approriate distance, failed to yield right of way, the list goes on on stupid little things that we never think abotu that would make you a law breaker.

You're still going on about this? The EULA has no provisions regarding obtain the software.

Enforcement is irrelovent.
How's it irrelevant? If they're giving everyone the same key, how the hell can they possibly tell that you haven't "protected" it?

If you speed on the way to work, but did it while no one was around, you still broke the law. If you murder someone but can't prove it, you are still a criminal.
Again, you're talking about an actual law vs an agreement between to companies. EULA's are not law. Breaking it does not make you a criminal. Not agreeing to it does not make you a criminal.

Wrong again. There is no user identifiable information tied to activation or validation. Even there were, there's no requirement to enter the same information used to obtain the software to install.

ianken - bit torrent is a protocol, not a place.

Don't make blanket statements about bit torrent, unless you want people to snicker when they read your comments.

There are many legitimate downloads available through the bit torrent protocol - even Asus is using bit torrent to distribute drivers.

Obviously, downloading something from an untrusted source, regardless of protocol is a bad idea. That's the issue here.

No shit? Really? A next you'll tell me GOOGLE is a web search provider and not a verb?

Please, more clues! I'm here to learn from the master! :rolleyes:

And I stand by my statement: if you download executables from some cloud run by "some dudes" with bins provides by "some other dudes" you're a fucking idiot. 99.9% of trackers are just that: run by people you don't know tracking swarms seeding content you cannot validate.

You're examples are flawed. I can murder someone and not be charged for a "crime" because it was done lawfully.
You can not legally murder someone. Perhaps you do not know what murder means.
Websters said:
Murder 1: the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought

MS fully intended and knew that the builds they gave out would be torrented and spread, it was cheaper for them to distribute a few copies and let those people put the ISO's up on torrents to spread the software, thus MS doesn't have to eat the bandwidth bill every time they released another multi-gb ISO x2.

Umm... yeah, that's why the released it to download.com and other mirrors so they could get free bandwidth. Oh wait, they didn't. Download.com will push you back to microsoft.com. Microsoft wants to control how it released the client, and it has.

Try not to play the holier than thou, never done something illegal in your life crap. By your own definition if you went just 1 mile over the speed limit your are a criminal. Didn't signal your turn in the approriate distance, failed to yield right of way, the list goes on on stupid little things that we never think abotu that would make you a law breaker.
I am a criminal. I have broken several laws. Some laws I break on a daily basis. Please point to where I said I was "holier than thou" or that I have never broken a law.

downloading anything from a public tracker is like sleeping with the town whore...you may get what you came for, but you'll likely get something else as well..generally that something is viral

EULA's are not law. Breaking it does not make you a criminal. Not agreeing to it does not make you a criminal.

This. At worst they could try to file a civil case against you, but there's absolutely nothing criminal about ignoring / breaking an eula. Only exception would be of course if something in the eula you broke actually is illegal, however that doesn't really have anything to do w/ the eula itself.

You can not legally murder someone. Perhaps you do not know what murder means.

Umm... yeah, that's why the released it to download.com and other mirrors so they could get free bandwidth. Oh wait, they didn't. Download.com will push you back to microsoft.com. Microsoft wants to control how it released the client, and it has.

I am a criminal. I have broken several laws. Some laws I break on a daily basis. Please point to where I said I was "holier than thou" or that I have never broken a law.

there are legal forms of murder...

You're still going on about this? The EULA has no provisions regarding obtain the software.
Your downloading a copyrighted work from an unauthorized source. EULA has nothing to do with that.

How's it irrelevant? If they're giving everyone the same key, how the hell can they possibly tell that you haven't "protected" it?
The word key. It means it's locked. It means you have restricted access to less than everyone.

Again, you're talking about an actual law vs an agreement between to companies. EULA's are not law. Breaking it does not make you a criminal. Not agreeing to it does not make you a criminal.
Using the software without agreeing to the EULA and you have violated thier copyright.

Wrong again. There is no user identifiable information tied to activation or validation. Even there were, there's no requirement to enter the same information used to obtain the software to install.
There is a requirement to enter the key you got from their site. In order to get the key you must register on thier site. If have not registered on thier site then you do not have a valid key.

People who run executables from bit torrent deserve to get pwn3d. It's like walking into a prison shower and screaming "HEY, I GOT LUBE!"

So when I downloaded Fedora 10 off of the bit torrent link on the Fedora home page I was dropping the soap? Hmmm you got a C in reading comprehension in school didn't you?

The enforceability of an EULA depends on several factors, one of them being the court in which the case is heard. Some courts that have addressed the validity of the shrinkwrap license agreements have found some EULAs to be invalid, characterizing them as contracts of adhesion, unconscionable, and/or unacceptable pursuant to the U.C.C.

The enforceability of an EULA depends on several factors, one of them being the court in which the case is heard. Some courts that have addressed the validity of the shrinkwrap license agreements have found some EULAs to be invalid, characterizing them as contracts of adhesion, unconscionable, and/or unacceptable pursuant to the U.C.C.

Your right, if you managed to prove the EULA invalid then any argument pertaining to the EULA would be invalid.

I personally would find it hard to argue that for a solicited, free piece of software.

So when I downloaded Fedora 10 off of the bit torrent link on the Fedora home page I was dropping the soap? Hmmm you got a C in reading comprehension in school didn't you?

i think a lot of people believe bt is some sort of centralized source such as lamewire or kazaa

OMG ANYONE WHO DOWNLOADS ANYTHING ON HTTP IS TEH STOOPID AND SHOULD GET PWNT LOLOLOL

as far as I'm concerned killing anyone is murder. some times we put cute names on it like manslaughter. the subjective nature of life is interesting huh?

....clearly the stuff I'm smoking isn't anywhere near as good as the stuff your smoking.

How are they "pirating" Windows 7 when MS is giving it away? I like that just because it is download via bit torrent it automatically gives the media the ability to call it piracy.....

New flash should be: Don't download something from untrusted sources...

Or at least have the intelligence to check the md5 sums.

Copyright. The EULA transfers a liscense for you to use thier copyrighted work. Without the EULA you are violating thier copyright on the work.

Yes, but

You agree to the EULA during install.

I don't understand your point.

You agree to the EULA during install NOT download. The fact that you may have gotten the file via snail mail, torrents, carrier pigeon, etc is moot.

As for the fact that you have to log in to get a key? That's how I obtained my original(Beta 1) key anyways, why does it matter if I downloaded my copy via another method?

Also I just doubled checked <right now>, even though you have to log in to get a key, there is NOTHING, no EULA, or set of rules, no agreement, NO NOTHING you must agree to. I mean, they ask for your name and what reason you want to use it for, but they do not make you "sign" or agree to ANYTHING, digitally or otherwise, to obtain a key.

Hell I even made a "step by step" picture set of proof for you
000kva.png

111u.png

222u.png

<snip>

content you cannot validate.

:rolleyes:

Sure you can, ever hear of md5 hashs? Its built into the torrent file, but even if it wasn't you can check after the fact, takes all of 2 seconds.

Torrent = Protocol, IT IS NOT a service like the gnutella network(limewire, kazaa, etc), and even then you could check the md5 hash after the fact. ;)

as far as I'm concerned killing anyone is murder. some times we put cute names on it like manslaughter. the subjective nature of life is interesting huh?

Do you understand what you're saying? Lawful / unlawful is not subjective to your personal moral perspective. You need to read the definition.........a few times...........and think very, very hard.

BTW, I agree. Wut U smokin? Can you send me some plz?

people arguing about illegally using windows 7 seriously need to kill themselves. now. please.

people arguing about illegally using windows 7 seriously need to kill themselves. now. please.

Thats the thing though, its not possible to pirate or use windows 7 illegally.

That's like saying that I pirated ubuntu last week, it can't really be done.

Thats the thing though, its not possible to pirate or use windows 7 illegally.

That's like saying that I pirated ubuntu last week, it can't really be done.

it is copyrighted.. Do you understand that?

Back