Planar PX2611W 26"

Well, I just got my Planar PX2611w; paired up with a NEC LCD2690WUXi.

It is definitely the original version which just one DVI-D port, but I don't really care since that's all I will need. More importantly, there are no dead pixels and no backlight issues. The screen is a little more reflective than the NEC which could be due to the fact that the PX2611w does not have an A-TW filter.

The only real gripe at this moment in time (since I've only been using it for about 4 hours is the limited available height adjustment. At maximum adjusted height the Planar is near the low end of the NEC adjustment range. It appears I will need to buy an adjustable for the Planar. Shame, that's gonna add another $150 to the cost.

The only real gripe at this moment in time (since I've only been using it for about 4 hours is the limited available height adjustment. At maximum adjusted height the Planar is near the low end of the NEC adjustment range. It appears I will need to buy an adjustable for the Planar. Shame, that's gonna add another $150 to the cost.

I was pretty disappointed by the stand as well; it's not very good considering the price range of the monitor. Granted, I'd been a bit spoiled by the Ergotron I put on the Soyo 24" I had before. Sadly the Ergotron I have doesn't support the Planar -- it only allows square VESA mounting and it isn't tall enough to support a 26" panel, only 24" and smaller, so I'm stuck with the stock stand for now.

I was pretty disappointed by the stand as well; it's not very good considering the price range of the monitor. Granted, I'd been a bit spoiled by the Ergotron I put on the Soyo 24" I had before. Sadly the Ergotron I have doesn't support the Planar -- it only allows square VESA mounting and it isn't tall enough to support a 26" panel, only 24" and smaller, so I'm stuck with the stock stand for now.

For anybody shopping Ergotron, take their spec warnings seriously, and all of them. Don't just look at weight. For instance, I got the LX desk mount arm for the Planar. The Planar is within the supported weight range, but I didn't pay attention to the depth limit, and the LX droops down with the Planar attached. I'm guessing the center of gravity is too far forward on the Planar, causing too much strain on the LX. Sometimes I can micro-tweak it just right to where it finds that one precise spot where it'll work, but if my desk moves at all the mount sags again. IIRC, the MX wasn't available when I bought the LX, but if I had to do it over now I'd get the MX for sure.

And whatever arm you get make sure you get the 100mm x 200mm plate, as that's what the Planar uses.

I recently purchased one of these monitors, but for some reason I'm unable to set it to portrait mode? Does this monitor not support that (I guess I was always under the impress that its the graphics card that drives that, but perhaps I was mistaken)? I could've sworn I read multiple places that you can do it, you just need a new stand as the one that ships with it only does landscape. I'm running this with the newest ATI Catalyst drivers and its being powered by a 5870.

I'm trying to go to Display Properties and then rotation, but the Rotation option is greyed out. I'm hoping I'm just doing something wrong, but I thought it should be just as easy as what I was trying to go.

Thanks in advance.
Chad

Hi Silent,

Well I figured out my problem, even though i disabled the other monitors it was still part of an eyefinity group and wouldn't let me adjust the rotation. As soon as I removed the other monitors from the group it allowed me to. Thanks for the input, I knew there had to be a way..

Last edited:
Hi I am bit late but I finally got a PX2611W and it comes with a new base wich is very good it even rotates.
I have work around the colors setting and even inport some profiles from the forum and set accordingly some of your suggestion but it did not work out well.
In some case all was greenish so I toke my chances and move them around and I am ?happy.
What concern me is that my sarpness is up to 100% in order to make the fonts look solid and dark.
I wonder if I am doing this right I talk to the nontechnical help at planar and they could no found anyone to blame, for before I hang up.
So I come to you guys for help the only resort in the whole web that talk about this dinosaur.
Here is my setting
On Text Mode Using Profile PlanarPX2611W and version (Firmware?) 1.00PGGK00
Bright 15.6%
Contrast 50.0
Sharp 100.0

Red gain 87.7
Green gain 82.6
Blue gain 100.0
Red offset 5.0
Green offset 25.0
Blue offset 50.0
Saturation 0.0

DDC/CI ON

Side Color
Red 10.8
Green 10.1
Blue 10.0

Dont know how the decimal happen I did not choose them the monitor did.
If anyone have some suggestion.

I keep sharpness at 40 and it's fine there. I always keep it in 'text mode' as the other modes look bad to me. I have a different firmware than you - 1.00MGGK0. Did you get your monitor new or used? Maybe it's broken.

On my model, brightness and contrast both at 50 work well. If I have brightness at 15% it will be much too dark except maybe in a very dark room. If I have contrast above 50 the highlights 'blow out' and it looks bad so I never go above 50 contrast (50 looks perfect).

Had my PX2611W since July 2007 and it's still working great.

teladoy I had another idea. Check the cables or try another one if possible. Also check the video card's sharpness setting. I think the nVidia cards have that feature. Also, Windows has a text optimization wizard. Re-run that. I think it's in control panel.

My settings are virtually identical to Toasty's old settings and it works fine. I can't stand having the sharpness any higher than 40 and the brightness any higher than 20% (usually leave it in the 10-12% range).

Before you started fiddling with profiles or anything, did you ensure the monitor was at 40% sharpness, your preferred level of brightness, text mode, and switch to the User color profile (6500K)?

Side question... are you using a MiniDP -> DVI or MiniDP -> VGA adapter for your Mac? It's always possible there's a cabling or connector issue if you're using a VGA adapter.

Thank you guys one at the time my respond but let me say that besides my sharpness been hight the picture is beautiful every were movie, games and editing only worried that, my letters in the browser "Google" seem a bit unhealthy no the I can read them but a bit light compare with the rest.
LittlemeEgo I am a Mac user, and the monitor is new before I own a 24" and I keep the cables I will switch them for the new one, I have the sharp at100% because I note that by increasing it the letters got fuller. And last yes I am in a very dark room with windows but dark.
Omophorus I when for Toasty's setting but they did not work for me so I modifier them a bit but they are base upon his. Is User (6500K?) because that what I have and the profile is factory could no find any for mac so I wen back to factory. And yes I can see the different between colors in operator system. I am connect to mini to DVI and I will use the new cables in the next 10 minutes I need to shot down also this one came with a HDMI to DVI cable that I will like to try.

I will wait for your respond TK

OK change cable pretty tick a bit of improvement thank you I hope keeping sharp at 100% is OK.

Fix Ugly Fonts on External Displays
If you attach a non-Apple external display, you might find fonts look a little faint or gritty because the font antialiasing hasn’t been correctly set. The fix is easy—open a Terminal window (Finder􏰀Applications􏰀Utilities􏰀Terminal) and type the following, logging out and back in afterward for the changes to take effect:
defaults -currentHost write -g AppleFontSmoothing -int 2
Should this method not work for you or if you’re unhappy with the results, open a Terminal window and type the following, logging out and back in again for the changes to take effect:
defaults -currentHost delete -g AppleFontSmoothing

Hope it will help someone.

Back