Planetside 2

So basically take the usual MMO rules and apply them to this game? In other words, wait several months for several robust patches and possibly a price drop?

Is this worth even downloading or is it the same buggy, boring pos it was 2 months ago?

It has been patched heavily in the past two months. I find it very enjoyable. But, I was also long time PS1 player, and my computer plays it tolerably. If I "only" had a 3.4GHz q6600, I probably wouldn't play it.

Runs perfect on my system. High frame rates and I even got the textures maxed higher then in game settings.

Protip: Nvidia cards lack in geometry (or it seems that way...). Turn the "Models" option to 'Medium' and I guarantee you can max out everything else. I am. The motion is beautiful.

There is one issue I am having.
The game crashes on exit. EVERY time.

Last edited:
I am happy to find that im not the only one that crashes on every exit.

The game really is fun, the low fps gets frustrating though. I changed my settings from medium to high and my frame rate stayed the same, 20-30.

The game really is fun, the low fps gets frustrating though. I changed my settings from medium to high and my frame rate stayed the same, 20-30.

It happened in the beta too.
The only difference I saw from beta to release is that they disabled the GPU Physics option.
And it is disabled. You cant even force it through cmd line anymore. They confirmed in the forums, but gave no reason for disabling it or when it would be enabled. Kinda weird....

But yeah, that crash happened in the beta too.

Ah, that's true.

I'm surprised by some of the negative feedback I've seen.

Shame too.
I fixed my issues just by playing with the settings during the beta. The release version was the same. From what I remember GPU physics was disabled in the beta too. I've never seen those awesome effects in game. Once they fix all those issues, this game is gonna be boss. I mean, it already is, but even better. Maybe thats the problem.... theres a few things missing.

Its supposed to look like this:
one1jq53ywski.gif

BTW, I've played 10 hours since the release, according to steam :)

I will post the screenshot later, but we took the entire continent of Esamir lol. I was hoping they would let you completely wipe the enemy off the map for some kind of bonus, no such luck :/

Shame too.
I fixed my issues just by playing with the settings during the beta. The release version was the same. From what I remember GPU physics was disabled in the beta too. I've never seen those awesome effects in game. Once they fix all those issues, this game is gonna be boss. I mean, it already is, but even better. Maybe thats the problem.... theres a few things missing.

Its supposed to look like this:
*amazingly beautiful GIF*

BTW, I've played 10 hours since the release, according to steam :)

Wow. I really hope they add those physics back into it.

So far, I got about 7 kills and then the server rebooted. However, during those glorious few minutes, the game ran perfectly and looked pretty damn good.

Game is ok. There are a ton of little pain in the ass things that add up. My couple gripes are balance issues really.

Tanks IMO are just too cheap. Christ sake, was in one battle where there were more tanks than infantry. It did look pretty badass though.

Heavy Infantry needs a deadlier stock gun. And a less obvious shield ability.

Night vision scope is sick.

A thorough in game tutorial would be nice.

Game obviously isn't optimized.

Off the top of my head.

But for a free game, It is pretty damn sweet.

I would hold off unless you like low frame rates.

They've fixed a lot. Give it a go. General consensus from my outfit is 50/50 same or better. I gained 10fps average and even more messing with the .ini

Heavy Infantry needs a deadlier stock gun.

A thorough in game tutorial would be nice.

Game obviously isn't optimized.

VS and TR stock HA weapons are amazing.

They've added lots of tips. Also 9 in depth videos on the official youtube channel

It's a LOT better than it was. Big improvements since late beta.

Last edited:
downloading now, excepting the game to run like it did in beta
40% gpu utilization and <40fps, considering all the people posting the same results.

Not to shocked. Anything like a Phenom II or Core 2 series is extremely CPU bound. Sad really with the visual difference between high and low.

Not to shocked. Anything like a Phenom II or Core 2 series is extremely CPU bound. Sad really with the visual difference between high and low.

Either of those processors would be perfectly fine if the game wasn't so poorly optimized. The developers have admitted that the game needs to be optimized and that is why a lot of people are having performance issues.

I have read enough threads on this issue with people using i3 or i5 processors, and they get maybe 5-10 more fps than I do. The battles are where it really hurts, people going from 60+ fps to 15-20 is ridiculous.

How would the game run with the specs in my sig? I'm thinking of dloading it but I'll just wait till they optimize it if its really bad. I don't mind settings at medium.

How would the game run with the specs in my sig? I'm thinking of dloading it but I'll just wait till they optimize it if its really bad. I don't mind settings at medium.

I would expect to run decently TBH. People with i5 processors run circles around the Phenom II CPUs, its more than 10 FPS as well. With yours overclock it should run high.

I would expect to run decently TBH. People with i5 processors run circles around the Phenom II CPUs, its more than 10 FPS as well. With yours overclock it should run high.
Cool thx :) I was just concerned because I've read mixed opinions over the last few weeks and some comments of bad performance were from people with decent rigs. I'm definitely a fan when fps like this and Tribes Ascend are free :D

Just to throw my bit in here. I have had zero framerate problems during beta with a Phenom 2 980 and a HD 6870. I did enter a few battles with 30+ vehicles on screen.

Don't expect this game to run like an FPS, it'll run like a 25 man WoW raid in the middle of a boss fight, in big battles. So, not very well.

It's new, hoping they optimize performance once things have settled down for the devs.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/quick-note-on-optimization.49152/

That is the Thread on the PS2 forums where a dev talks about poor FPS. An i5 wont run circles around the Phenom II's because the code is not optimized and as such hurts everyone. The i5 will get better frame rates, but it isn't going to be more then 10 or so FPS during battles.

i5's and Mhz is what this game loves. I have min running at 4.5 ghz and see excelent fps even in big fights. It will dip to the 30's in some instances, but most of the time it big fights its around 50.

On my rig I've seen PS2 bounce between 40 and 80 FPS, with occasional dips into the mid-30s (pretty consistently upon my character's inevitable death), with everything cranked to High at 2560x1600; I tried changing Model Quality to Medium as suggested earlier in the thread, but it didn't seem to change anything. That said, I have yet to encounter any significant lag in this thing at all...but I'm inclined to put that on my fiber connection.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/quick-note-on-optimization.49152/

That is the Thread on the PS2 forums where a dev talks about poor FPS. An i5 wont run circles around the Phenom II's because the code is not optimized and as such hurts everyone. The i5 will get better frame rates, but it isn't going to be more then 10 or so FPS during battles.

Yes it does run circles around Phenom II. I've been in beta since July and read numerous performance threads, I know how this game performs. My 7950 is awesome with my 2500K, but is fucking awful with my Phenom II.

Last edited:
Games been smooth with the pc in my sig at 1920x1200. Infantry, tanks, aircraft all on screen at the same time. No lag issues either. Been great so far.

I would say I'm sorry to see you go but you strike me as the kind of player that spawns a Sunderer and then drives off by himself with it.

For me, P2 was not fun to play at all. Kudos to the devs for offering up a free game, but at the end of the day is it really free, when you can pay to win? Personally, I don't care if a game is "free" or not, all I care about is if its fun and worth my time. For me BF3 and Halo CE PC are much more fun and entertaining versus the mess that is P2.

On my rig I've seen PS2 bounce between 40 and 80 FPS, with occasional dips into the mid-30s (pretty consistently upon my character's inevitable death), with everything cranked to High at 2560x1600; I tried changing Model Quality to Medium as suggested earlier in the thread, but it didn't seem to change anything. That said, I have yet to encounter any significant lag in this thing at all...but I'm inclined to put that on my fiber connection.

With your card and at that resolution, I don't think geometry is your problem.
Makes sense that you see no difference from changing just that setting.

I reached battle rank 7 today, and I dropped $20 cash since it's double station cash right now. I know they've had triple before, so I'll save any more spending until around Christmas.

I'm becoming more and more familiar with "how to play". Simply put, I'm loving this game. It's what I've wanted online FPS to be - open world huge battles.

My brother runs a Q6600 and HD 6850, and we've got some tweaking to do to make it run better. I do agree that they need to work on optimizing this game, because right now it seems like only the i5/i7 processors can take it (even in larger battles). The game seems to utilize maybe 2 threads worth on my machine, and my GPU usage is an average 70-75%. While I'm pretty much holding 40fps in large battles, we're a good few years away from the average user having the power that my computer chip has right now, so hopefully they get on this asap.

Last edited:
For me, P2 was not fun to play at all. Kudos to the devs for offering up a free game, but at the end of the day is it really free, when you can pay to win? Personally, I don't care if a game is "free" or not, all I care about is if its fun and worth my time. For me BF3 and Halo CE PC are much more fun and entertaining versus the mess that is P2.

If you are playing this game right now solo, and not enjoying it try it with a medium or large outfit and it will change everything, I promise. I'll throw a cheap plug in here for my outfit www.sghq.com

Back