Planning on building a gaming server, where to start?

I would like to turn my old pc into a dedicated server for the DayZ mod and a gaming server in general. I have no clue how to even begin. My old PC has 4 GB of ram dual core processor, 4870 graphics card etc... Could anyone lend me some advice? Thanks!

Last edited:
The DayZ team will not permit something that old to be an official server, nor could you host it from your home. You'll pretty much need to get a more modern server in a datacenter if you want to be approved.

Most games dedicated servers don't really need a powerful of a system to run. You don't need the graphics card, so if the chip has integrated graphics you can use those (or run headless, without a monitor) which will cut down on power usage. What you will need is a good internet connection (unless you do LAN, like I do as my connection is baad :().

The DayZ team will not permit something that old to be an official server, nor could you host it from your home. You'll pretty much need to get a more modern server in a datacenter if you want to be approved.

How do you even know how old it is? The only part he listed was the GPU. 4GB of ram and a dual core processor should be enough to run any dedicated game server as good as a anything, assuming he had necessary bandwidth, which I doubt.

I would like to turn my old pc into a dedicated server for the DayZ mod and a gaming server in general. I have no clue how to even begin. My old PC has 4 GB of ram dual core processor, 4870 graphics card etc... Could anyone lend me some advice? Thanks!

You planning on running this server out of your house? If so, you are going to likely have bandwidth issues plus the fact nearly all, if not all, US providers prohibit you from hosting your own servers on a home connection. You'd have to move to a business connection if plan on doing this in the home and that's gonna cost ya some big $$$ vs. a home connection.

How do you even know how old it is? The only part he listed was the GPU. 4GB of ram and a dual core processor should be enough to run any dedicated game server as good as a anything, assuming he had necessary bandwidth, which I doubt.
Like I said, the DayZ team has specific hardware requirements and if you do not meet them, they will not approve you. They require a modern quad core processor or better for any server. They also don't permit you to host it from your home, so you pretty much have to colocate it.

•CPU: Modern Quad Core @ 2.0Ghz+ (CPU is the main bottleneck for an ArmA server, so the more powerful the better)
•RAM: 8GB (RAM isn't a big issue in an ArmA server, so don't be overly concerned with having copious amounts)
•Storage: 50GB+ HDD - 500 IOPS minimum. SSD or 15k RPM SAS is recommended.
•Network: 100Mbps+ dedicated. Bandwidth cap must be at least 2TB or more.
•Slots: All servers must be running at 40+ slots, or 30+ in areas where bandwidth is expensive and where permitted. (Usually reserved for developing countries or remote regions)
•Operating System: Windows 2003, 2008, 2008 R2

That what dayz requires.

You planning on running this server out of your house? If so, you are going to likely have bandwidth issues plus the fact nearly all, if not all, US providers prohibit you from hosting your own servers on a home connection.

Why is this so? I hosted a CSS server on my charter cable connection (which sucked, but was setting it up for my brothers fiber).

Back