Planning Project: OSIDIAS (SFF taken to the extreme)

I had a little more time tonight, and was able to get the vacuum assembly finished. As of now, the vacuum table is completely ready to use. I am pretty happy with the way that things turned out. It's compact, easy to maintain, and fairly cost effective. Of course, none of that matters if the table doesn't perform as expected. Well, I'm happy to report that it performs even better than I had hoped. I know everyone is anxious to see how it turned out, so let me walk you through the rest of the setup process...

There are really only 3 major components needed in a vacuum table setup. The first is obviously the table itself which I covered in the last update. The second is the source of the vacuum itself. For this, I went to industrial parts supplier Grainger, and picked up a vacuum pump. I selected a two stage tangential unit capable of 97 CFM and 81.8 Hg vacuum. There were more powerful units available, but this one was an outstanding deal, and worth taking a chance. So, let's take a look at the pump...

p4230323.jpg

Now, I should mention that although this is a vacuum pump, it's also a blower by it's inherent design. Unfortunately the only fitting for attaching a hose is on the blower end. That meant I had to get a little creative and epoxy a fitting over the vacuum hole. It was a simple fix, but just one more step I had to take before I could move forward.

p4260315.jpg

Okay, now we've got two of the three major components out of the way. The third? Well, that should be easy. We've got to have tubing connecting the table and the vacuum pump. This shop vac hose kit offered the perfect solution.

p4250312.jpg

p4250313.jpg

As you can see the shop vac hose was a perfect match for the tubing adapter and splitter that came with the table.

p4250314.jpg

Now all that was left was to route the tubing and hoses, mount the pump, and connect everything together. As you can see, the whole assembly is pretty clean and simple.

p4260316.jpg

p4260318.jpg

At this point I was pretty anxious to kick it on and do some testing. I'll try and get some video of that up in the next day or two, but as I mentioned above, I was very happy with the results. I could lay a block of wood in the center of the table, and with the pump running, it was surprisingly hard to move laterally. Keep in mind that this was without blocking off any of the other holes in the table. Doing so would increase the vacuum significantly. I'm pretty confident that as long as my feed speeds are appropriate, and my end mills are sharp, nothing is going to move while vacuum is applied. The only way to know for sure is to actually cut something, and I'll be doing that very soon!

Well, here it goes guys. After more than a year of planning, I've decided to officially to start Project OSIDIAS. Granted, I still have other projects I'm still working on, but I don't want to delay this any longer. I can't promise daily updates, but I have a feeling you all will keep motivated to keep my work as updated as possible.

OSIDIAS will take everything I've learned from my Rogue project, and double it, in both scope and ambition. I've got some pretty unique things I'll be attempting here, and I've got no assurances that everything will work out as I've planned. That doesn't matter though, as I enjoy the challenges of problem solving on the fly. Even though at this point, almost every detail of the case is planned, there are still going to be things I decide to change. However, due to the way the case is designed, there are certain things that must remain set in stone. The overall exterior of the case and the carbon fiber shell for example.

So, where do we begin? Well, for those that may not have been following along up until this point, this video gives the best project overview. If you've got 20 minutes to spare, this should catch you up to speed.

Now, although this is the first official post of the project, I've only got a few pics to show you. Don't worry, I've got more incoming, but I this should get things started. :D

This case will be the first time I move away from aluminum as my primary construction material. There will still be plenty of it in this case, but I figured it was time for something more exotic. That's where carbon fiber comes in to the picture. Actually, carbon fiber, as well as a carbon fiber/kevlar blend. The carbon fiber will be placed around molds that I'm currently building, and them vacuum bagged. This is a proven technique for manufacturing, but the first time I'll be attempting it. There aren't many computer mods made from CF, let alone molded as in what I'm trying, but that's where the fun part comes in! I've got to give full credit to MKmods for his advice and input regarding working with carbon fiber. With any luck I'll not end up with a very expensive mess on my hands...

I mentioned having to make the molds, and that's where the following pictures pick up. Thanks to the help of my Romaxx CNC machine, I was able to accurately cut out a few pieces of the OSIDIAS core. These pieces will sit in the center, while an aluminum 'clam-shell' sits around it. After the carbon fiber and vacuum bagging, the idea is to push the center core out, and then remove the shell from the inside. This will leave a solid CF case, from which I will make the needed cuts.

Here are the blank pieces of MDF ready for the Romaxx CNC.

p4180312_0.jpg

After the CNC cut...

p4180313_0.jpg

p4180314_0.jpg

And finally, I've got a stack of them.

p4180315_0.jpg

Next up, we've got the core assembly!

SWEET bro. Glad to see you finally have the CNC setup! :)

Thanks guys! Are you ready for another update?

My last post left off with the cut MDF pieces for the core of the case. What I needed now was some simple way to fasten those pieces together, while still providing strength. I went round and round with possibilities until I decided on the following method. It all started with a trio of 22mm holes courtesy of the Romaxx.

p5310350.jpg

Thanks to the CNC's accuracy and repeatability, I ended up with 6 pieces just like this.

p5310351.jpg

With the first piece laying down, I tapped 3 sections of PVC pipe into the holes. The fit was just tight enough that there was no movement once in place, but taps with a hammer could still allow any needed adjustment.

p5310352.jpg

Now finally, here is the assembled core. It's lightweight, yet very strong. The PVC pipe not only serves to hold the structure together, it also has a secondary purpose. Since the carbon fiber will be vacuum bagged, the pipe will allow for pressure equalization between the front and rear of the mold.

p5310353.jpg

With the core done, I'll be moving on to the 2 part aluminum shell that fits around it. Thanks for reading!

With the core of the mold done, it's time to get some aluminum wrapped around it. It's a pretty simple concept, but I need perfect execution. The aluminum needs to fit the MDF perfectly, as it ultimately will determine the shape of the carbon fiber on top of it.

I'm starting by using some AC Ryan 1mm sheets that I had lying around. I've had these for quite some time courtesy of the Rogue project's bit-tech Mod of the Month win almost 2 years ago already. I figured it was time to put them to use.

p6010354.jpg

One of the newer pieces of equipment in my shop is this metal brake. I've retired the little 18" unit I had, and moved up in the world. To say that it's a huge improvement, is understating the obvious. So, I marked out the aluminum, and slid it in place for the first bend.

p6010355.jpg

A second bend later, and things are looking good!

p6010356.jpg

An additional 4 bends brought me to this.

p6020357.jpg

A quick test fit, and it was looking pretty good. Well, good enough to move on to the other side. At least for the moment...

p6020358.jpg

I made the second panel, and after evaluating it's fit, I decided to remake the first one. Ultimately I just wasn't happy enough with the way it fit the contours of the MDF core. It couldn't have been more than a single millimeter off in the way that it fit one of the edges, but it was still too much for me. I sometimes tend to set standards for myself that seem unreasonable, but when something is bugging me, I just can't let it go. So, the red panel is gone, and it's been replaced with blue and green...

p6020348.jpg

Since I was pretty happy with the fit of the new panels, I now needed to get them marked and cut to fit. I need perfectly flush mating on the top and bottom joints, and I'll cover that in the next update.

p6020349.jpg

Glad to this project picking up again :) good work Craig, professional bender

Haha, there's nothing like the smell of a warm Dremel on a beautiful Thursday night... With my last update, I was ready to trim the top of the aluminum shell down to size. A few minutes of cutting and filing left me with a prefect fit. It's absolutely straight with no gaps.

p6030348.jpg

Now it was time to do the same thing on the bottom. I always mark first with either a pencil or fine point Sharpie, and then follow up with tape. When I cut, I get as close to the tape as possible, then finish up with a file. I find that it's easier to follow the edge of the tape, than it is any regular line.

p6030349.jpg

p6030350.jpg

Once again, after cutting...

p6030351.jpg

Okay, so what's next? With the aluminum shell done, I've got to prep for layering on the carbon fiber. Since I'll have multiple layers basically rolled on the mold, I needed an easy way to apply the CF. The following method is what I came up with. I've got a pair of sawhorses and a piece of aluminum channel through the center pipe on the mold. This will allow me to roll the mold in to any position, yet the square planes of the channel means that it won't roll away when I don't want it to.

p6030354.jpg

Now let's take a look at my box of goodies from Aerospace Composites. I've got a vacuum generator, check valve, associated vacuum bags, and peel ply. I'll be using all this to ensure as flawless a finish as possible.

p6030353.jpg

At this point I decided to do a small resin test. I've seen far to many instances where resin doesn't set, and I want to make sure I've got a workable ratio. The last thing I need is a mess on my hands. Up next, the fun part!

p6030352.jpg

Ready guys?

Well, working with the carbon fiber was an interesting experience. I got completely prepped and ready to go last night, so that I could start wrapping first thing this morning. I'll admit to being a bit nervous. I didn't have any room for error, and with my OCD about having things perfect, the pressure was on.

I woke up this morning, headed to the shop, and cranked up the music. A little Zune Pass with Breaking Benjamin as the starting point, and things were underway! What you'll see here is the mold ready to go, with the carbon fiber strips sitting on a tube right behind it. This would allow me unroll the CF onto the mold with minimal handling.

p6050349.jpg

It was now time to mix up the resin. I was using a marine grade clear epoxy with a 109 medium hardener. This stuff has a pot life of about 30 minutes, so there was no time to do anything but get underway. With the resin mixed I was on the clock. I slipped on my rubber gloves and hit the mold with a layer of resin from a 4" lint-free roller. The first layer of CF was on soon after.

I continued wrapping and rolling, taking extra care not to deform or stretch the CF in any way. I also had to be sure that all the corners had the fiber nestled in them without issues. I thought I was making good time until I went to apply a little more resin, and the roller started to pull up on the CF. Crap! That meant my resin was hardening. Had it really been 30 minutes already? Well, it didn't matter. I couldn't do anymore at this point. I needed to wrap peel ply around it and get it bagged. I still had one layer to go, but there was no way I could get it on without causing serious issues. So, bag it, I did...

p6050350.jpg

I smoothed the bag out a little and left it under vacuum for about 2 hours.

p6050351.jpg

Now, aren't you all excited to see what's next? Yeah, I am too, but I had to head out of town for the rest of the weekend. The next update will likely be late Monday or Tuesday night.

So, overall, the experience wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, but I was cutting it close with the resin cure time. I also know I'll have a few ridges in the resin from the bagging process, but that's really not an issue right now. I can sand and add more resin. In addition, I'll likely go ahead and add the last layer of missing fiber. I'll update early this week guys!

I apologize for not updating last night guys. I've been struggling with a pinched nerve in my neck, and subsequent pain in my right arm. It was really bad yesterday, and I didn't even make it down to the shop. I'll be having an MRI done tomorrow, and likely have a surgery in my future. It sucks, but I'll keep plugging away. Despite being in a little pain, I'm gonna show you the CF. What you are looking at is the final layer of fiber needed on the case. I'll have to lightly sand a few small air bubbles, but otherwise it's cosmetically pretty darn good. I'm also going to apply one more layer of resin before I remove the mold. I want to be sure the CF is well protected from damage. It's a whole lot easier to sand and fix resin than have a blemish in the fiber itself...

p6080348.jpg

p6080349.jpg

p6080350.jpg

p6080351.jpg

With the weekend come and gone, it's time I update all of you on my progress. It's not much, but as always, it's still a step forward. So, how about we get the case out of the mold? I designed the mold so that not only would it be reusable, it would be easy to remove. The first thing I did was to set the case on the workbench, and start tapping the core from one side to the other.

p6140348.jpg

p6140349.jpg

A few more taps...

p6140350.jpg

The core removed.

p6140351.jpg

Now it was a matter of removing the aluminum shell.

p6140352.jpg

It's finally free! The case is completely removed from the mold. You can see a few small voids on the interior, but those are a non-issue at this point. Anything that remains after the exterior holes are cut, will be filled in with resin and leave a smooth surface behind.

p6140353.jpg

p6140354.jpg

Now, I'll add a few comments about the case itself. It's strong! In fact, it's shockingly strong. Sure, everyone knows carbon fiber has excellent strength properties, but until you experience it for yourself, it's a little hard to quantify. This case has almost no flex or deflection. I can press on the center of both sides with about all the strength I can muster, and it just barely moves. It's just that solid. On top of it's strength, it's also incredibly light. Also, I'm saving the rest of the surface work until after all the holes are cut. This thing will be as smooth as glass once completed. All in all, this was the perfect building material for this case, and I can't wait to start making my first cuts in it. Stick around for the fun coming up next!

Thanks man!

Time for another update!

Now that the case is out of the mold, I need to get it cut down to size. I use my trusted tape marking method, and prep the Dremel. That's really the only practical way to cut the case with it's uneven contours.

p6140348-2.jpg

The first cut done. Would you believe that the CF cuts like butter with a reinforced disc? You can't drop the disc in and do a continuous cut without binding, but it you drop in every centimeter or so, it works very well.

p6140349-2.jpg

p6140350-2.jpg

Not only does the fiber cut extremely well, it takes to filing beautifully too. This pic was taken after filing and a quick bout with a fine grit sand paper. After cutting, I could finally get a measurement on the actual cross section of the case. It measures just under 2mm. That's even better than I thought.

p6140351-2.jpg

p6140352-2.jpg

With the first side done, it was time to mark the other side.

p6140353-2.jpg

All done! The case now measures the perfect 40.6cm I needed. Up next, I'll be marking out and cutting all the holes needed in the case. Until then!

p6140354-2.jpg

I have always wanted to play with carbon fiber.....but wow you have done so well!

Can't wait to see more!

Oh dear...

This is amazing craig....

When are you going to start offering services? (hoping...)

Thanks! I'm not sure what the labor on something like this would cost... ;)

I have always wanted to play with carbon fiber.....but wow you have done so well!

Can't wait to see more!

Thanks!

Well guys, I've got some bad news, my quest for perfection is going to cause a delay in moving in with part of this project... I've decided I'm not happy with a few things. I don't feel the outer edges are 'sharp' enough. I think a side effect of the initial multiple layers of CF and the resin hardening too soon, have left things more rounded than I would like. The only way to fix this is to sand the case down, and add another layer of fiber. I can't just sand down what I have and resin because I'll have to sand through a little CF to get it flat. Obviously that will kill the cosmetics. While most of you think it looks great, it's just something that I've decided will bug me. I can't put countless hours into it, only to wish I had fixed it. So, what now? Well, luckily I still have work to do... I'll go ahead and start on the side panels. I've got to order more fiber, and the side panels will allow me to fill the time until it arrives.

Well guys, I've got some bad news, my quest for perfection is going to cause a delay in moving in with part of this project... I've decided I'm not happy with a few things. I don't feel the outer edges are 'sharp' enough. I think a side effect of the initial multiple layers of CF and the resin hardening too soon, have left things more rounded than I would like. The only way to fix this is to sand the case down, and add another layer of fiber. I can't just sand down what I have and resin because I'll have to sand through a little CF to get it flat. Obviously that will kill the cosmetics. While most of you think it looks great, it's just something that I've decided will bug me. I can't put countless hours into it, only to wish I had fixed it. So, what now? Well, luckily I still have work to do... I'll go ahead and start on the side panels. I've got to order more fiber, and the side panels will allow me to fill the time until it arrives.

Sorry to hear that, and I understand however I normally don't have that much motivation to redo it completely I would have sanded down the areas I did not like a bit farther and relaid some of the CF in those areas (of course matching them to the rest of the case)
However that would probably leave some lines that would have been otherwise on the bottom of the case.

Good luck on your second round lets hope you get it done to your standards :)

WOah :eek:... *subscribed* :cool: :D

Thanks man!

Sorry to hear that, and I understand however I normally don't have that much motivation to redo it completely I would have sanded down the areas I did not like a bit farther and relaid some of the CF in those areas (of course matching them to the rest of the case)
However that would probably leave some lines that would have been otherwise on the bottom of the case.

Good luck on your second round lets hope you get it done to your standards :)

I'm not redoing it completely. I'm just sanding my current outer layer to flatten things up, and then I'll add one more layer of fiber. The current fiber in the case costs way too much to scrap. :eek:

You'r project is making me want to fab up carbon fiber side panels for my supercomputer rack now.

Wouldn't you need an outer mold to get the edges sharp? Otherwise I don't think you'll get and even edge or an edge at all.

*Edit*

After reviewing the process again, I don't see a good way to get the edges sharp. Folding the fiber at the edges perhaps? Is that feasible? Only other way I can think of is fiber panels, but putting seams on the outside would suck I imagine. I don't think you can wrap it and get the edges-at least I can't think of how.

Just brainstorming a bit...if you have it figured out just ignore me...

Wouldn't you need an outer mold to get the edges sharp? Otherwise I don't think you'll get and even edge or an edge at all.

*Edit*

After reviewing the process again, I don't see a good way to get the edges sharp. Folding the fiber at the edges perhaps? Is that feasible? Only other way I can think of is fiber panels, but putting seams on the outside would suck I imagine. I don't think you can wrap it and get the edges-at least I can't think of how.

Just brainstorming a bit...if you have it figured out just ignore me...

Well, maybe I shouldn't use the word sharp so much... As designed, all corners have a 2mm radius, and multiple layers will exaggerate the radius on the outside. I don't have a problem with that except on the top corners. You see, there is about 1.5cm between the two edges of the corners on each side. What I'm unhappy with is that the area between those edges. The overall shape is far too rounded.

I think the biggest reason it bother me, is the fact that the top two corners of the case are 45 degree angles, just as the top of the side panels are. There should be a parallel plane in transitioning from the case to the side panel, and there's not. It would go from the angle of the side panel, to a rounded surface, and that just doesn't seem right to me. I don't know if I'm explaining it well, but it all makes sense in my head.

In any case, I've got the case sanded down, and once I had one more layer of fiber, I'll be pretty happy with the results.

Are you worried at all about structural integrity when you sand down the corners? You're going to end up bringing in the breaking strength at the bend points, significantly. Very nice progress thus far.

Are you worried at all about structural integrity when you sand down the corners? You're going to end up bringing in the breaking strength at the bend points, significantly. Very nice progress thus far.

No, not at all. It's not so much the corners that are being sanded, so much as flattening the area between them. It's so freaking solid right now, it's really hard to put in to words (and I've already done the sanding. It seems to be comparable to some 4mm aluminum I have, and the CF is only 2mm.

Thanks man. While I'm waiting to order more fabric, I'll be working with the carbon fiber/kevlar blend on the side panels. That should prove interesting. :D

Well, maybe I shouldn't use the word sharp so much... As designed, all corners have a 2mm radius, and multiple layers will exaggerate the radius on the outside. I don't have a problem with that except on the top corners. You see, there is about 1.5cm between the two edges of the corners on each side. What I'm unhappy with is that the area between those edges. The overall shape is far too rounded.

I think the biggest reason it bother me, is the fact that the top two corners of the case are 45 degree angles, just as the top of the side panels are. There should be a parallel plane in transitioning from the case to the side panel, and there's not. It would go from the angle of the side panel, to a rounded surface, and that just doesn't seem right to me. I don't know if I'm explaining it well, but it all makes sense in my head.

In any case, I've got the case sanded down, and once I had one more layer of fiber, I'll be pretty happy with the results.

Ah, I see what you mean now. I actually though the top portion had round corners, but looking again I see exactly what you mean. Think it might become rounded due to the wrap not having enough length/space to fold over? Seems like since the distance between edges is short it curves around instead of following the angles.

Either way, sounds like you have it worked out. Definitely a cool idea man, and will look kick ass at any rate. :)

Back