Playing games behind a router?

Geekling

Limp Gawd
I just installed my Network Everywhere (Linksys) router for my 2 computers to share files and my net access. Its loading the pages fine....but when I try to play a game like counter strike:source I get a very high ping and it can only find a few servers. What can I do about this? any suggestions?

If it is a wireless router and you are using the wireless networking on the affected systems try changing the chanel in the router config.

I personally have an 802.11b Linksys router and I have never had any problems playing oinline games with mine.

Its wired. I've had it setup before without any problems. I don't know why its causing this now. I am using a different cable modem and some different cables. That wouldn't cause the problem. Would it?

this might be a stupid question but

is the new cable modem registered with the cable company?

(its yes if they came and installed the new one)

Not sure? The only reason its a different modem is because I cancled my cable awhile ago and then decided to get it back. Would it matter if it was?

well you could check the ports that are blocked, and then open the ones that cs:source needs... generally outgoing ports arent blocked, but mayne this is an exception... also, make sure your other computer isnt accessing on the net.. even if my dad loads a big webpage, i can see that in my ping

The other computer is right next to this one. It wasn't doing anything with the net. :( I'll have to look into the ports(Not sure where to go or what to open).

If you are not hosting games, I don't see why you would need to open ports as you are intiatin g conversation with the server, not the other way around. Network Everywhere is a REALLY cheap supsidy of Linksys equipment. I have had to open up no ports on my WRT54g to game so I would blame the router.

IceWind said:
If you are not hosting games, I don't see why you would need to open ports as you are intiatin g conversation with the server, not the other way around. Network Everywhere is a REALLY cheap supsidy of Linksys equipment. I have had to open up no ports on my WRT54g to game so I would blame the router.

yeah i was saying that, you generally dont need to open ports of outgoing connections.. but maybe this time... just going through all possibilities.. ;)

Back