playing w/ Sage TV Demo, now should i try others?

Xeero

Gawd
well i just downloaded sagetv4 a couple of days ago.

i love how its so easy to use. now i'm not too sure if i want to switch over to mce2k5 anymore. i bought a combo package from pcalchemy which has mce2k5, mce ir remote, nvdvd, and 150pvrmce. but after playing w/ sage, i don't know if i want to go through the hassle of using mce front end.

Since you own it, try it out. MCE is pretty decent.

The only reason I went with sage is the client/server setup. I'm up to 5 clients and counting.

well, the thing is i don't have mce installed. i'm still running home version. is it worth the hassle of installing a brand new windows just for the front end?

In that case, not really. If you already have a copy of XP then why'd you get MCE?

Well if it was me, I would take the time to try MCE. I personnally use SageTV and rather like it. However I wish I had taken more time to test out other clients before commiting the machine to "production" use (wife gets mad when the PVR is down). I tested only Sage and BeyondTV, did not feel like paying the admission price to try MCE, however would if I could have.

if you have the copy of MCE, try it. you can install sage ont he MCE install and directly compare them. try media portal, meedioTV, and beyond TV as well. they all have free demos (mediaportal is entirely free) and all have quality products. If meedio supported client/server like sage, I would go that way in an instant.

valve1138 said:
Since you own it, try it out. MCE is pretty decent.

The only reason I went with sage is the client/server setup. I'm up to 5 clients and counting.

I have never tried Sage nor know much about it.

So, I have a few questions about the client/server thing:

- can the client watch live tv?
- if so, who controls changing the channel?
- if multiple tuners, can multiple clients change channels independently?

- yes
- client
- yes

think of it as DHCP for TV. the server takes all the tuners and puts them in a pool. When a client wants to tune a channel, the server assigns an availalble tuner and takes it out of the pool. Same thing happens if a recording is scheduled. all of the recording is done on the server and the clients basically stream it off of the server's hard drive. All recordings are available to all clients as well as all other media on the server. Clients don't have to be on if you aren't actively watching, just the server. Very cool.

Back