Playstation 3 Firmware Update 1.92

AaronP

[H]F Junkie
It's out, I just started downloading it. I don't know what it does yet but supposedly it has some game fixes and what not in it.

Jeez, just inching closer to the supposedly big 2.00 update. Anybody think there will be a 1.999999 before 2.00 comes out?

Well, after I applied it I can't log into Warhawk anymore. Hopefully they'll fix that soon. :(

Supposedly the controllers will auto-power off after a certain time idle. Thank god. Cuz it really is a pain when you are watching a movie using the BD remote and you have to remember to turn off your controller if you have been playing games.

You can use flash backgrounds. I don't get it though. Does anyone know how to make a flash file? Because I always wondered if since we can apply our own background, if they could be animated like the default PS3 one.

That's odd. The official Sony website hasn't updated yet from 1.90.

http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/network/updates

Jeez, just inching closer to the supposedly big 2.00 update. Anybody think there will be a 1.999999 before 2.00 comes out?

Yeah, I know what you mean. To be totally honest, i'm getting a little impatient with Sony. Anything significant with them seems like it's so far away from being released. Like even now that Lair released, and it got that terrible review, it got me down a little bit. Whatever... this month, and the ones leading up to Christmas are going to bleed my wallet.

Supposedly the controllers will auto-power off after a certain time idle. Thank god. Cuz it really is a pain when you are watching a movie using the BD remote and you have to remember to turn off your controller if you have been playing games.

Hmmm. Interesting. I actually just use the PS controller for movies so I like that it stays idle if I need to pause something an hour or two into a movie. Hopefully it's a toggle. The 360 controller times out pretty quickly, but then again - it also runs out of batteries a lot faster, too. I don't think I've charged my PS3 controller in weeks and I'm still at 2 bars.
With the 360 pad (especially if you use it with your PC) it keeps it's charge for only about 1/2 as long.

Hmmm. Interesting. I actually just use the PS controller for movies so I like that it stays idle if I need to pause something an hour or two into a movie. Hopefully it's a toggle. The 360 controller times out pretty quickly, but then again - it also runs out of batteries a lot faster, too. I don't think I've charged my PS3 controller in weeks and I'm still at 2 bars.
With the 360 pad (especially if you use it with your PC) it keeps it's charge for only about 1/2 as long.

I agree, I like having my controller on all the time as well since they keep a charge for so long anyway. I am always having to click back on my 360 controllers after a while but since they don't stay charged for very long that is better for them. Hopefully you can turn off this feature if that is what has been added with the update.

The reason why 360 controllers seem to last less is because they have rumble motors in them :)

The reason why 360 controllers seem to last less is because they have rumble motors in them :)

That does make sense. Still, I'll take that trade. I've never felt that my controller shaking added anything anyway. If I want to shake - I turn up the subwoofer.

Nice! anytime Sony releases an update thats a plus! They are pretty good on the updates. Thanks!

I knew that was the reason, and I dont miss rumble. I like the light weight, long lasting controller.

I knew that was the reason, and I dont miss rumble. I like the light weight, long lasting controller.

The xbox360 controllers do last twice as long with rumble off, but I prefer it on. Replaceable batteries take 2 seconds to swap out.

I didn't know how much I was used to rumble until I played a PS2 game on the PS3. Then I found that I missed it. I think that the Dual Shock design is in need of an overhaul. I don't really like the controller for FPS games and it just seems to me that they didn't have any decent alternative designs to the boomerang controller so they just hacked up the Dual Shock controller. It's not a bad design, just needs an update.

I think if they had included rumble and motion controls, they would have had to a redesign to make room for a bigger battery pack.

So...what is actually on this update?

google ftw

You can now display an image as the background of XMB™ (XrossMediaBar). You can also use emoticons in messages to your friends. You can now use a USB keyboard to enter text directly into text entry fields of Web pages. The PS3 now supports upsampled output of audio CDs. You can find a complete list of details after the break.

Other new or revised features in version 1.92 (with 1.90):

Settings

* [44.1/88.2/176.4 kHz] has been added as an option in [Audio CD Output Frequency] under [Music Settings].
* [Type 2] has been added as an option in [Bitmapping] under [Music Settings].
* [On] has been added as an option in [BD 1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI)] under [BD/DVD Settings].

Video

* The [Image Quality Adjustment] option in the control panel has been changed to [AV Settings].
* You can now play AVCHD-format video files that are saved on Memory Stick™ media or on the hard disk of a video camera.
* You can now operate the Slow Back (Slow (Back)) and Frame Reverse (Frame Reverse) functions when playing video files saved on storage media or on the hard disk.

Game

* New for 1.92: Playability status with the PS3™ system has changed for some PlayStation®2 format titles. To check on the latest status, visit the search site for compatible titles (coming soon).
* You can now adjust screen display settings while playing PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 format software.
* You can now sort games that are saved on the hard disk.

Network

* [Add to Bookmarks] has been added as an option in the [File] menu of the Internet browser.

Friends

* When an avatar is displayed during a voice / video chat, the avatar now moves in response to audio.

Overall

* [Eject Disc] has been added in the options menu for discs.
* You can now select [Group Content] when changing a file or folder icon.

You can update your system software by any of the following methods:

* System Update
Update using the PS3™ system’s System Update feature.
* Update using a PC
Download update data using a PC and save on storage media* or a USB Mass Storage device. Copy the update data to the PS3™ system’s hard disk and perform the update.
An appropriate USB adaptor (not included) is required to use storage media with some models.
* Update using disc media »
Update using update data that is included on a game disc.

via Playstation.com

"You can now adjust screen display settings while playing PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 format software."

What does this mean? You can stretch the PS2 game to fit a large HD screen?

"You can now adjust screen display settings while playing PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 format software."

What does this mean? You can stretch the PS2 game to fit a large HD screen?

I'm pretty sure you could do that before, I played Kingdom Hearts 2 a few weeks ago and it filled the whole screen, unless my monitor did it by itself.

I thought the last update allowed to re-arrange the game Icons... I couldn’t ever figure out how to do it.. maybe this is a fix. :)

Good news though!

I thought the last update allowed to re-arrange the game Icons... I couldn’t ever figure out how to do it.. maybe this is a fix. :)

Good news though!

You could do it on the last update. You just hit Triangle and it let you sort by game type or creation date.

Which isnt good enough IMO cuz im frickin hating that the puzzle fighter 2 HD music kicks off right as i boot into the PS3, cuz its annoying as shit. Id much rather keep Tekken up there ont op which has no music. Unless there is an option to turn that annoying music off somewhere else.

You could do it on the last update. You just hit Triangle and it let you sort by game type or creation date.

Which isnt good enough IMO cuz im frickin hating that the puzzle fighter 2 HD music kicks off right as i boot into the PS3, cuz its annoying as shit. Id much rather keep Tekken up there ont op which has no music. Unless there is an option to turn that annoying music off somewhere else.

Yeah, I had Motorstorm in mine for a while, but I yanked that disk out. Not only is the music for the icon annoying, it's scarily loud.

Yeah, I had Motorstorm in mine for a while, but I yanked that disk out. Not only is the music for the icon annoying, it's scarily loud.

LOL yeah, motorstorm is killer, its like BOOOOWWAANNNGG BOOM CHICA CHICA WOoWOOoo

Back