Please do not try and get us to replace something like this:

VanFanel89

2[H]4U
Seriously, don't even bother...

picture001cx4.jpg

I do have to admit - the die is remarkably intact...

Ahh, the "our warranty doesn't cover acts of God" defense. What? That wasn't caused by a lightning strike? ;)

Is that a Barton proc? I'm guessing it is something from before the days of thermal protection on CPUs.

Well, that's what it would look like if the HSF was removed and had it run long enough... :eek:

CRAP!!! well, it was worth a shot. ;)

J/K maybe frame it and hang it up as "post modern 'fried that shit yo' processor artwork".

No wonder I haven't got any reply regarding my RMA yet, it ends up here ;) J/K

What on earth happened to it?

Looks like maybe the computer caught fire while the heatsink was attacked?

What on earth happened to it?

Looks like maybe the computer caught fire while the heatsink was attacked?

The heatsink must have been attacked with napalm :D

Seriously though, that's a nice, even cooking :) Maybe a house fire or some such

Yeah, the PCB is clearly melted, as you can see some of the resistors are pointed in different non uniform directions, the CPU wouldn't of lasted long enough in a motherboard giving it the kind of voltage to fry the PCB like that.

Obviously this CPUs death wasn't as cool as putting it in a motherboard with 3+ volts, taking the heatsink off and letting it explode. The die is intact, just gives you an idea the kind of temps those things are built to withstand.

The interesting thing is that this customer managed to do a bunch of earlier RMAs with a "burned processor" description... unfortunately the previous boneheads of warehouse employees did not really bother even checking. This was actually caught by one of our new logistics warehouse employees - shows dedication.

The interesting thing is that this customer managed to do a bunch of earlier RMAs with a "burned processor" description... unfortunately the previous boneheads of warehouse employees did not really bother even checking. This was actually caught by one of our new logistics warehouse employees - shows dedication.

Glad you caught that, lord knows we wouldn't want Hector to lose money off his next bonus. :rolleyes:

:D Spot on,and ouch !

sorry, thats the bitterness of a $200+ opteron 185 speaking. I'm stuck in that nasty spot where I can upgrade everything for more, but not horribly more, or I can spend way more than I should have to for an outdated processor just to extend the life of my 939. Damn you AMD.

sorry, thats the bitterness of a $200+ opteron 185 speaking. I'm stuck in that nasty spot where I can upgrade everything for more, but not horribly more, or I can spend way more than I should have to for an outdated processor just to extend the life of my 939. Damn you AMD.

Understood.I too have s939 hardware thats a dead end.

I've got 3 of those procs laying around. Want to do a comparison as to what gets it in that state?

1. Volt mod to +3v
2. House fire/grill
3. Tell George Bush terrorists are hiding behind it

tehehe.

I must of picked the best possible time, cost me 75 dollars for my 4200+ on newegg, overclocked easily to 2.85 ghz, but then again I had the proper setup to overclock it, it cost me more to upgrade my 939 than it would have for an equivlant AM2 processor, it would cost me more if I wanted to goto 4 gigs of memory, but I got pciE, DD1 is still plenty good. I can't get the latest, best, most overclockable steppings, nor can I get phenom, but phenom isn't working on alot of existing AM2 motherboards. 939 wasn't outdated, it was abandoned by greed.

Ill trade you my 420 dollar X2 3800+ for your 200 dollar opty :D Thats just what happens when you invest in a new technology at the beginning of its life when they are still trying to pay for its dev cost, tooling up, etc... And they know somone who wants to be first will pay that much.
Perhaps its also to help them get past expenses like this guy who musta bought a bunch of computers from an office fire and started RMAing them.

Ill trade you my 420 dollar X2 3800+ for your 200 dollar opty :D Thats just what happens when you invest in a new technology at the beginning of its life when they are still trying to pay for its dev cost, tooling up, etc... And they know somone who wants to be first will pay that much.
Perhaps its also to help them get past expenses like this guy who musta bought a bunch of computers from an office fire and started RMAing them.

Naw, you misunderstood. I too have an x2 3800, and want an opteron 185, but the price is outrageous.
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Naw, you misunderstood. I too have an x2 3800, and want an opteron 185, but the price is outrageous.
Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Back in early summer, I wanted to get two 290 Opterons (2.8GHz) for my main system, but they were priced rapaciously, something around $900 each on eBay, forget your typical vendor. So, I decided to purchase two 280s instead. Even presently, Opterons are not competitively priced for their performance levels. It's the established server infrastructure that are keeping prices high. Businesses are looking to make simple upgrades without replacing entire systems.

Back