Please don't laugh, I need a new graphics card

I'll skip the editorial. The last game I played was COD-MW. For someone who doesn't game much (any more) my Radeon RX570 let me play it at what I considered an acceptable level. Yes, I can feel you all cringing right now.

I miss the heyday when (great) FPS games were coming out 3 times year. The reason I've stayed behind the curve is because I just don't see why I should invest in a "great" card when it might only be used on 1 game a year. But I digress...

I'm looking for something around $700, preferably AMD. Obviously from what you've read I don't need anything bleeding-edge, I'd just like something that will perform decently.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (32gb Ram) on a Gen 4 capable Asus Mobo

RX570 still works fine, I have one too - although I moved it to an offline Windows 7 machine for older games. 6950XT for $600 is one hell of a card, but if you have a Microcenter near you they have 7900XT models in store that are $699.

What resolution do you play at? What is your target fps? You might be better served by grabbing something like a 6750XT and bumping your CPU up to a 5800X3D.

I swapped out my RX570 (which was getting daily use) for a 6750xt at the end of last year. I agree with a previous poster that you should look into the 6700xt/6750xt and maybe a CPU upgrade. There's no reason for you to spend $700+ on a video card when it's not needed and won't be any better than one half that price.

I'll skip the editorial. The last game I played was COD-MW. For someone who doesn't game much (any more) my Radeon RX570 let me play it at what I considered an acceptable level. Yes, I can feel you all cringing right now.

I miss the heyday when (great) FPS games were coming out 3 times year. The reason I've stayed behind the curve is because I just don't see why I should invest in a "great" card when it might only be used on 1 game a year. But I digress...

I'm looking for something around $700, preferably AMD. Obviously from what you've read I don't need anything bleeding-edge, I'd just like something that will perform decently.

AMD has new mid-range cards releasing in September. Probably the 7800 XT and the 7700 XT.

Otherwise, you can currently get 7900 XT for ~$700. Sometimes less, if you look for deals.

I agree with the suggestions to consider throwing a 5800x3d(or even a 5600x3d) in that system if you get a decent gpu upgrade. I went from a 2700x to a 5800x3d in my current system and it made a much bigger difference than I thought it would.

I also think the suggestions to look at the 6000 series card is good and that they offer the most value in the midrange right now, AMD is supposed to be launching some more 7000 series cards this quarter but if current trends hold out I doubt that they'll be worth waiting for.

I'm in love with my 7900xt - got it for $720 a few weeks ago and I have no regrets. At 1440p UWS, this thing just absolutely smacks anything I throw at it.

One of the reasons I picked the 7900xt over the 6950xt is the 7XXX series drivers are consistently improving, making the 7900xt THAT much better each month. The 6950xt is capped and it's an incredible card, but for $100 more, you're getting upwards (key word is upwards)of a 30% bump in framerate in certain games. And that's going to rise even further as drivers get better.

IMHO, that's the better value if you can get the 7900xt at that price point.

Yeah, if you have a MicroCenter nearby then it's a no brainer. Get a 7900XT. Then eventually a 5800X3D if you're strapped for cash. Otherwise get both and it'll be a brand new computer. What speed is your ram, btw?

I would say a 6800 would pair well with your CPU. Anything faster would be wasting money until you upgrade that 3700x. In fact....
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dxfwmr

AFAIK the $700 7900XT deal at MC has been gone for a few days now.

Thank you, a lot of great info here.

To answer a couple of the above questions....
1. I'm running 3200 Ram
2. Running 32in Monitor 1440 @165hz refresh

Thank you, a lot of great info here.

To answer a couple of the above questions....
1. I'm running 3200 Ram
2. Running 32in Monitor 1440 @165hz refresh

What specifically is the ram you have? Ram based on Micron E die or Samsung B/D die can easily OC to 3600 Cas 16. 1usmus has a couple of really good tools you can try to get that up to speed without needing a new kit. Free performance boost.

Really anything you can get right now is fantastic. 7900 XT or 6950 XT for a GPU. Get a 5800x3d or 5600x3d.

Also while your at it. If your not running a NVMe SSD. Look into it. Prices on them have dropped through the floor and you can get a 2TB one to use as your system/fast game drive for under 100$

Don't feel ashamed. I just upgraded to a 6800xt from an rx 470 that I purchased like 7 years ago. I mostly play indie and older games so I didn't need anything better. Loving my new card though.

At $600 for AMD, it would be the 6950XT.

If you wanted Nvidia it would be the 4070 which can be found for under $600 at Amazon.

Yeah this is why I suspect maybe that or a 5600X3D since hes near microcenter with a midrange GPU would be better.
I'm running an i7-7600 non-K and going from an RX 470 4GB @1080p to an RX 6800XT with a FreeSync Premium Pro 4K display was like when I went from amber and black to 4-colour CGA: a total revelation.

I vote getting a 6950XT or a 7900XT if you can.

I'm running an i7-7600 non-K and going from an RX 470 4GB @1080p to an RX 6800XT with a FreeSync Premium Pro 4K display was like when I went from amber and black to 4-colour CGA: a total revelation.

I vote getting a 6950XT or a 7900XT if you can.

I think the 6950XT is the better deal but they're getting hard to find for a good price now, and 7000 series prices are going up too.

I think the 6950XT is the better deal but they're getting hard to find for a good price now, and 7000 series prices are going up too.
When? Who says? AGAIN?!? They just increased (again) in Canada. So, the price is increasing in the U.S.? That means they'll go up again in Canada, too, then. I don't think they're even selling much. I don't know anyone who has bought one and I was told at the local chain (CC) - that they are often returned. I dunno what that means as I didn't request the sales guy to explain. Also, that was about a month ago.

When? Who says? AGAIN?!? They just increased (again) in Canada. So, the price is increasing in the U.S.? That means they'll go up again in Canada, too, then. I don't think they're even selling much. I don't know anyone who has bought one and I was told at the local chain (CC) - that they are often returned. I dunno what that means as I didn't request the sales guy to explain. Also, that was about a month ago.

I've returned two 7900XTX. One for constant crashing and the other for ungodly coil whine that made me not want to even use the damn computer.

I've returned two 7900XTX. One for constant crashing and the other for ungodly coil whine that made me not want to even use the damn computer.
I hear you. I had an EVGA 3060 XC and it was way too loud. I was glad my friend was interested in upgrading their 1650 - and didn't mind the noise. I am afraid of getting a card with coil whine. I now sold my 3080.

It seems the 7900 series has more complaints of coil whine than the Nvidia 40 series (although, it has its fair share) - high performance/high tier graphics cards - more likely to have it but unfortunately, for AMD and enthusiasts - these are high power consumption cards - which get pretty hot. Also, there seems to be more cards this gen on both sides - that have coil whine - it's so bad, now - that ppl call it 'the lottery' whether you get one or not (that has it).

I can't remember what you tried?: different power supplies? Some ppl claim the psu used makes a big difference or can. That's another thing I have to worry about? My psu is a Corsair Rm850x - so, it's not exactly low - but, many ppl are using 1000+ watt power supplies with these high performance cards. I hope my psu is of a high enough quality and enough wattage - I really don't want to be looking at upgrading my psu too.

I hear you. I had an EVGA 3060 XC and it was way too loud. I was glad my friend was interested in upgrading their 1650 - and didn't mind the noise. I am afraid of getting a card with coil whine. I now sold my 3080.

It seems the 7900 series has more complaints of coil whine than the Nvidia 40 series (although, it has its fair share) - high performance/high tier graphics cards - more likely to have it but unfortunately, for AMD and enthusiasts - these are high power consumption cards - which get pretty hot. Also, there seems to be more cards this gen on both sides - that have coil whine - it's so bad, now - that ppl call it 'the lottery' whether you get one or not (that has it).

I can't remember what you tried?: different power supplies? Some ppl claim the psu used makes a big difference or can. That's another thing I have to worry about? My psu is a Corsair Rm850x - so, it's not exactly low - but, many ppl are using 1000+ watt power supplies with these high performance cards. I hope my psu is of a high enough quality and enough wattage - I really don't want to be looking at upgrading my psu too.

I tried a lot of stuff. I thought at one point I had solved it but it turned out I had accidentally capped my game at 60fps. Undervolting, underclocking, multiple power supplies, tested in 3 different systems, Radeon chill, vsync, old drivers, if someone on the Internet tried it I tried it too. I was even willing to settle for 120fps rather than running up to my refresh rate of 165 but even 120 was screaming.

Reactions: pavel
like this
Anything less than 4080 / 7900XTX and you are wasting time.
Also get a 5800X3D.
I would put DDR4 3600 as last on list.

Buy used.

Once you have all of the above apply DLDSR (if Nvidia and upscale all your games to 4K).

Hold on to your panties.

700 or 1000 bucks is all the same. Don't eat for like 10 days. Totally worth it. ;)

RX 570 (esp. 8GB variant) is still a completely decent card. I just replaced my son's MSI RX 570 8GB only because it was getting too hot/loud for him even after repasting the card, it for some reason just runs much hotter than it used to. I've been constantly surprised at how well it plays any games he's wanted at 1080p ultrawide and with a VRR display any dips below 60 FPS are unnoticed.

But like others have said, I recommend upgrading to Zen 3, ideally the 5800X3D or at least a normal 5800X, and then to whatever card your budget allows for afterwards. Prolly a 6800XT at least would serve you well for the foreseeable future. I recently upgraded my 2700X to the 5800X3D and in the few games I tested it mostly just helped the 1% lows and generally smoothed out performance in games that would fluctuate a bit beforehand.

RX 570 (esp. 8GB variant) is still a completely decent card. I just replaced my son's MSI RX 570 8GB only because it was getting too hot/loud for him even after repasting the card, it for some reason just runs much hotter than it used to. I've been constantly surprised at how well it plays any games he's wanted at 1080p ultrawide and with a VRR display any dips below 60 FPS are unnoticed.

But like others have said, I recommend upgrading to Zen 3, ideally the 5800X3D or at least a normal 5800X, and then to whatever card your budget allows for afterwards. Prolly a 6800XT at least would serve you well for the foreseeable future. I recently upgraded my 2700X to the 5800X3D and in the few games I tested it mostly just helped the 1% lows and generally smoothed out performance in games that would fluctuate a bit beforehand.

It's the new drivers that make Polaris go so hot now. My 580 Red Devil ramps up the fans to top speed in any game, but with older drivers, it doesn't happen. Problem is those older drivers won't support more modern games, so one must upgrade. I find Polaris a fantastic rig.

However, I grabbed a Fighter 6700XT, paired with a 13600k and 32GB of cheap 6000MHz DDR4 to replace the old 6700k/580/16gb and it's night and day. The 6700XT keeps up with anything at 144Hz, 1080p (it explains my processor choice) at top settings. It costed me a fraction of what a Nvidia/AM5 combo would do. I'm very happy with the new system.

I've been super impressed with the 5700X I picked up to swap out my 1800X. Under $200 and its a split-CCD chip so the heat management is easier. Also the IMC is absolutely amazing compared to my the 5800X I had when those launched, I can run DDR4 4000 with zero issues on my $79 B450 board, and I've pushed it as high as 4266 before I started getting errors in testing.

I've been super impressed with the 5700X I picked up to swap out my 1800X. Under $200 and its a split-CCD chip so the heat management is easier. Also the IMC is absolutely amazing compared to my the 5800X I had when those launched, I can run DDR4 4000 with zero issues on my $79 B450 board, and I've pushed it as high as 4266 before I started getting errors in testing.
Yeah, I almost added the 5700X too, which is prolly the best value chip there is for Zen3. I was going to get one of the two soon if I hadn't impulse bought a BNIB 5800X3D in FS/FT for $260 a couple months ago.

I must have been as lucky as some of you were unlucky in the coil whine department on my 7900xtx. The only time I've been able to detect any coil whine was with the side off the case and right next to my head and then going into a menu that ran at >1000fps, even then I could only hear it because the room was quiet.

I recently upgraded my 2700X to the 5800X3D and in the few games I tested it mostly just helped the 1% lows and generally smoothed out performance in games that would fluctuate a bit beforehand.
I made the same jump and IME it depends on the game, some games run the same but it makes a huge difference in others. For instance with the DX12 version of Witcher 3 on the 2700x it ran at about 30fps in the busier parts of Novigrad and had horrible frametime spikes while with the 5800x3d it stayed above 100fps and was gpu limited at that point.

i just upgraded from a GTX970 to a 6700XT this past november...no shame at all, if it works then it works.

my attitude with hardware is much the same as i have with my vehicles. what you get from selling it used is usually sweet F.A. in comparison to purchase price. might as well run it into the ground firmly and get your moneys worth out of it. only reason i got into overclocking years ago was because i was going to college and couldn't afford a new video card. that was a voodoo 3, got me an extra year out of it...even if barely.

Back