please help me out of my 680i

0tolerance

Weaksauce
tonight was the last draw. My evga board finaly killed my ram. I started gtting crazy lag in cod4 with my 8800gt and low settings when ever a bomb dropped or anythign id go from 97 fps to 10. i also noticed i was getting lag in windows just random tasks. I got so mad at the boardtemps i went to a watercooling solution. The board was also over volting my 8800 gt and the temps were hitting 98c . finally i installed my 8800 in my back up box and the gpu idles 72C and maxs at 94C when things get hot and heavy. Im sick of this board after 9 months of battling with it and am looking to my hardforums friends to help me out.

Where should i go.....

q6600
8800gt scc edition
680 hiper psu
2g xms2 ddr 800 <-- prolly fried now
2 rapotr 80's

p35? x38? and 780 id rather shoot myself in the face.

anyhelp or suggestions is apreciated.

thanks, zero

finally i installed my 8800 in my back up box and the gpu idles 72C and maxs at 94C when things get hot and heavy.

I have several concerns, what watercooling ? did you make sure to provide airflow to the cpu voltage supply circuitry around the cpu socket when you ditched the heatsink/fan ?

The above video card temps are way out of line, watercooling does not eliminate the need for good case airflow, those temps are high esp the idle. I would be looking at adding a gpu block to the loop and a pci slot fan to blow air on the rest of the video card to cool the memory and the voltage requlator chips. But that is a little extream, first make sure you intake fan in the bottom front is in good working order and if it is a single 80mm fan, dump the case and go with one with a 120mm fan. Fancy cases are nice but many block the front intake with HD cages, restrictive cheap stamped out fan grills (get out the tin snips !! ). This is acutally a excellent OCing case and it has a place (the bottom grill) to let that video card exhaust the hot air it produces. You can even mount an exhaust fan there if you want. It is a crappy cheap case, but for Airflow/cooling is it as good as anything on the market. The point is that when heavy gaming you must get cool air and lots of it, flowing through the case and get the hot air out. The front and rear 120mm fans (only the rear comes with the case shown, allow this to happen without sounding like a jet taking off.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147074

IP35-Pro would be my suggestion for a motherboard.

i have a modded lian li case and swiftech h120 on the cpu and nb. I installed the card in my other pc and it idles 70 C and reachs 94c in cod4 with the fan being auto controlled. I Talked with EVGA and they said that that was noramle temps and to not be worried. I tested my memory last night and had no errors i just dont understand why i get 10 fps in cod4 when bombs drop or the chopper comes my other pc whcih isnt half as mean as my gaming rig plays it flawlessy witht he 8800gt intalled in it.

IP35-Pro would be my suggestion for a motherboard.

Seconded. It's realy quite a great board, and I see no compelling reason to even touch X38, as it did not live up to the feature expectation that everyone had for it. Hopefully, X48 will be a different story. That swiftech kit should do a decent amount of cooling for the CPU. I would like to know why you think your RAM is fried (and FYI, my 680i A1 killed a set of PC2-8000 Firestix...so yeah, I know all about it)? Have you memtested the RAM on a known good board? Your vid card temps look normal...which is scary to think that they're running them so hot these days, but that's their (nvidia's) schtick.

with stuttering like that, I'd point it at a few possibilities:

1) something in the background kicked up while you were playing the game, causing lag in game
2) something is wrong with your HDDs (yes the beloved 80gb raptors...had a pair of them myself) - run a SMART check and a sector test
3) your RAM is toast - again, check with mem test, put it into another system if possible
4) your video card is borked - put into another rig, re-confirm full functionality, and no issues
5) Your COD4 CD (or other game CD) is running in an IDE drive that is having issues, and causing IDE timeouts, choking your system (not likely, but confirm drive function)
6) Windows is paging something, for some reason - check your virtual memory settings, DO NOT ALLOW WINDOWS TO RESIZE AS NEEDED. just set the min & max to the same size
7) Hard drives are severely fragmented, in addition to #6 - defrag

A lot of those seem unlikely culprits, but I've seen some weird crap in my days. Let us know.

Josh

Back