Please help me with my HDHomerun Prime setup

Hello all. I am in the middle of networking a bunch of 'alternatives' to Comcast's X1 set top boxes. One of the things I would really like to do is use the HDHomerun Samsung app for my SmartTV (Samsung PN51E550) so I can eliminate either a cable box or SFF PC.

My problem is that the router is upstairs and the app requires a hard line connection. I tried using a pair of TP-Link AV200 power line adapters but the images were all garbled and it was constantly buffering. I then bought a paid of used TP-Link AV500. The images were fine for the most part but every few minutes (mostly during commercials) it would buffer and a few channels (KPIX HD) would always be garbled.

Is it worth trying to get an AV600 / Gigabit kits or is my TV simply not powerful enough to decode the MPEG2 stream?

I have tested my HD Home Run Prime over 802.11g wifi with mostly positive results. Channels were slow to update, but I was able to play back uninterrupted assuming my signal strength (and bandwidth) were good enough. Unless there is some serious interference in your power lines, I would not assume their bandwidth is the problem.

On another note, the prime units do seem to be particularly sensitive to different network equipment. It is a possibility that there is a conflict with your model of network equipment, or some settings that may be adjusted to improve performance. I'd dig through the silicon dust forums for more ideas.

How were you able to stream over wifi? I take it you were using WMC / Plex or some such? My TV's built in HDHR app will not even start if no hardwire is detected :(

How were you able to stream over wifi? I take it you were using WMC / Plex or some such? My TV's built in HDHR app will not even start if no hardwire is detected :(

You could always hardwire to an AP behind the TV, which then connects via WiFi to the rest of your network. The TV would see it as a hard line.

You need to test the throughput using the TP-Link AV500 kit. Keep in mind, MSO's deliver a lot of the HD channels in variable-bit-rate MPEG2 from 10-19Mbps (fios channels usually top out around 18-19Mbps).

I've never used a powerline kit, but I know the speed depends highly on the quality on the lines and distance it has to travel. I'd imagine you'd need a reliable 30Mbps+ connection to use HDHRP without issues for HD channels.

I was not using a tv at all, I tested with both WMC and the HDHR viewer on a laptop.

Hello all. I am in the middle of networking a bunch of 'alternatives' to Comcast's X1 set top boxes. One of the things I would really like to do is use the HDHomerun Samsung app for my SmartTV (Samsung PN51E550) so I can eliminate either a cable box or SFF PC.

My problem is that the router is upstairs and the app requires a hard line connection. I tried using a pair of TP-Link AV200 power line adapters but the images were all garbled and it was constantly buffering. I then bought a paid of used TP-Link AV500. The images were fine for the most part but every few minutes (mostly during commercials) it would buffer and a few channels (KPIX HD) would always be garbled.

Is it worth trying to get an AV600 / Gigabit kits or is my TV simply not powerful enough to decode the MPEG2 stream?

Is one room a bedroom. SInce about 2000, by code all homes must use Arc Fault Interrupters in the main circuit breaker box which are different from ground fault interrupters (AFCI v.s GFCI) in bedrooms. Arc Faults design causes higher frequencies to be interfered with which is was the Powerline adapters use.

What I read on the topic claimed 2 of the 3 manufacturer's designs were this way, but I found the 3rd manufacturer's to also cause severe impairment of the performance.

Imho, if one of the rooms is a bedroom, you're hosed for powerline.

Try MoCA if the rooms have coax, otherwise you'll have to run ethernet all the way or to a room you can then use powerline from.

Last edited:
Back