Please help troubleshoot hardware problem

-iLLuZioN-B18C1

Limp Gawd
I turn on my PC and screen is completely black as if its not connected.

This PC has been running for 4 years with NO changes whatsoever. It worked last night. Tried to fire it up today with no luck.

Things ive done so far.

1. My monitor works, tested on a different PC.
2. My vid card works, tested on a different PC.
3. I tested working ram from different PC with no results.
4. Power supply is working and everything is getting power.
5. Although I have yet to put my HD in a different PC, Im pretty sure it works b/c I hear it booting up (Raptor drive)

So I'm down to mobo or fried cpu? Any thoughts on any other tests I can check? Also, how can I determine if it is mobo or cpu?

Thanks

just took out the little battery from the mobo and put it back in, its working now.

What causes this? Just curious?

You fixed the problem by replacing the battery? (Did you actually buy a new battery, just in case?)

What does your system look like? Which (specific) PSU are you using? How long have you had everything for?

No, I took out the CMOS battery for a few minutes and put it back in. I have had everything for roughly 4 years. Its a E6400, gigabyte ds3, gskill ram, and some random PS :p

I've fixed computers that way too. Removing the CMOS battery causes the Bios to reset. The thing I try before that is a cold boot. At least what I call a cold boot...I turn off the PS and hold down the power button for 10 seconds.

What random PSU? You may want to replace that (and get a new CMOS battery) to minimize the chances of you having to "troubleshoot" your system again.

What causes a corrupt BIOS? power issues, ram issues, dying cmos battery, shutdown issues, etc. If its a crappy PSU, definitely replace it.

Back