Please help with purchase of new HDTV

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this question. I hope you guys and gals can help out me though.

I am in the market for a new HDTV that will be used primarily for gaming. I hope you can help me narrow down the choices as the current amount of HDTV's on the market is staggering to me.

I will be primarily using the HDTV to play games on the 360, PS3, and the Wii. I will also be using it to watch TV (obviously). I would also like to be able to hook it up to my PC if so desired. I am not opposed to any kind of HDTV (Plasma, DLP, LCD) as long as the price is reasonable compared to the image quality.

The TV will sit in a room that is lit primarily from the right side (but I will most likely be playing and watching in the dark). For the most part, I will be sitting directly in front of it (but it would be good if I had a TV that was viewable from all angles with decent image quality).

I would also like a TV that has a good refresh rate (response time, whatever the correct terminology is) for playing games.

I would go for a DLP which will be way way under your budget for even a 1080p one. The picture quality will look amazing. The viewing angles won't be as good as a plasma though.
I had the same debate this past month; i ended up getting a DLP and I'm definitely not disappointed. The only drawback is that the bulbs will have to be changed. But there are some new DLP's from samsung which use LED lights which will never have to be replaced which you should look into. :)

sony new xbr with 120Hz and 10bit panels with deep color/xv color hdmi 1.3.. will come during summer,, so maybe June to August? 72inch xbr with led backlight (and all the other goodies)...soon..

I have a Samsung 61" DLP that does 720P and it's awesome. With that budget you couldgo for the 1080p no problem.
Excellent picture quality at 720p - Progressive scan DVD's look amazing and my 360 is even better.

I really really enjoy my LVM-37w3

I found mine at pcnation. I highly recomend newegg. :)

They say shopko has them instock from time to time. As well as bestbuy and sam's club.

If I had no budget restrictions I would get the sony KDL-46XBR3

Good luck!

I am most impressed with what I have read about the 52D92U so far. The only thing that concerns me is talk of "banding". Should I be concerned about that or not? I am sorry if that is a stupid question, I dont know alot about HDTV's.

I have also looked at the Sony Bravia 52" XBR, how would the viewing angles be on that TV? The other two TV's I have looked at are the Samsung HL-S5679W, and the Pioneer Elites (but those seemed a little pricey compared to the Sony and the Sharp). How would the viewing angles on the Samsung be and how can I tell the response time.

I actually think the Samsung DLP is lowest on my list right now as it has the lowest contrast ratio. The Sony and the Sharp seem to be pretty close price wise and feature wise. I think I will go take a look at some stores tomorrow. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your help!

don't get something huge i recommend around 42 inch should fit your need.

*i have a 62inch sony wega hdtv great for console games but no computer :(

LCD TV used for computers, the most important thing is the ability to do 1:1 pixel to pixel on full 1080p. with no overscan... of which the sony`s XBR2/3 line can do.

Back