Please tell me how Ea and Steam works for These games...

sina13

n00b
Hey guys im CRAZY confused!!! I want to play BC2 multiplayer. So i was wondering if i buy BC2 or Starcraft 2 from Steam will i play it on steam or Ea downloader? like i see on ebay people are selling CD keys for like 25 bucks but it said you can download the game from ea download manager but i wanna use it on steam. So how would it work. But if i cant do that my other choice is buying it from amazon. If i buy it on amazon will i be able to play it on steam or do i have to play it on ea downloader manager. And on the Ea download manager do they share the same servers as the Steam servers Like do ppl that downloaded it from ea downloader manager play on the same servers than on steam or what? whoeveer explains this to me it would be gladly appreciated

grey keys can end up being banned, i'd watch out for that if i were you

- If you buy the CD-key, you will have to register the game to EA Downloader and download the game from there.
- If you buy it from Amazon, you will get the retail box and all you will need to do is install the game from the disc like most games.
- If you buy it from Steam, you will play it from Steam.

Only Steamworks-enabled games can be registered to Steam if purchased at a retail store instead of Steam's online store. Bad Company 2 is not a Steamworks game.

No matter where you buy the game from, you will play on the same servers.

And StarCraft 2 will not be on Steam.

1. BC2 keys from retail (amazon and ebay probably) will not register on steam, only retail games listed here will register on steam https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php+++++++7480-wusf-3601.

2. The EA downloader is basically a download manager and is only needed if you bought the game online from the EA store.

3. If you buy the game off steam, it will download and run off steam. So if you absolutely want BC2 on steam, you'll have to buy it from steam! You can always just add BC2 as a non-steam game with a retail copy, BC2 isn't really integrated with steam in any significant way.

4. Steam and retail copies play on the same servers

5. Starcraft 2 will not be on steam

edit: Einhanderkiller beat me to it, I'm slow :(

hmm what is the disadvantages of having it on a non-steam game?

most of it is convenience, i.e....patches aren't automatic, you'll have to reinstall from disc (Steam allows unlimited downloads/installs), etc..

you can still add BC2 as a non-Steam game, but you won't get any of the features that I've listed

ugh.... how did u guys get ur games? and is the 50$ worth it for steam? cuz i have a collection on steam myself...but right now money is tight for me..

If you know somebody who works at EA, you can get games for super cheap from the EA employee store.

I got Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for $75 total.
7Xhrm.jpg

If you buy BC2 from steam you can use the key with EA downloader as well.

I think it's worth the 50 bux, though I initially had problems running the game with windows 7. After dual-booting and installing it on Vista 64 it works perfectly for me.

yeah i just bought one from eBay for Mass Effect, hope it's gonna work. The seller got positive feedback and even refunded a couple people, so we'll see

one last question.. In order to get the M1grand u need to have 2 BF games. I have Bad company 1 for ps3 does that count?

Back