PlexiBlack custom 90° case

coolchu001

Limp Gawd
Ever since the announcement of the new Voodoo Omen. I was pretty fascinated about the simple alteration that can improve air in such a way by having everything rotated 90 to the top.

So for the last 2 days, I have been designing my own custom design on this take.
I used SketchUp...

Here is my design:
Frame: it will be constructed using 1/2" and 1/4" 90° bent aluminum or steel (depending what i can find) rods. I will mostly screw the case together since I don't like rivets :p

The hard drive rails will be from a lian li V1000 case. I will also use a lian li mobo tray and psu bracket...

The side panels will be 1/4" thick plexiglass with a dark 5-10% tint, the left side particularly will have a section that will be 20% so that some LED lighting can shine through...

As you can see, the air will be drawn from under the case and exhaust through the top mesh. Each compartment will also be sectioned off. The empty space behind the 5.25" drives can be for things like a radiator, or 120mm fans (didn't bother to draw those in :-P)

Here are some more pictures....

If anyone is interested in getting the sketchup, file feel free to ask!

Well be going to Homedepot for some the materials tomorrow :cool:

UPDATE: (6/16/08am)
Here are some later renditions of the project...
The mobo have been reversed to the other side of the case, PSU now sucks cpu air...
Might do a hinge style top???

UPDATE: (6/16/08pm)
Alright, the initial design was too big for me...so now I have revised it.
The revised version uses all 1/2" angle bent rods thats all I found at HD. Also lot less material is needed to build the case. The plexiglass is now just 1/8" thick, but I might put two layers on the final build.
The HDDs now sit at the bottom behind the 5.25" drives....so there wont be room for a 3x120mm radiator but a 2x120mm would fit and the cages can be remounted under the PSU (but holds 3 hdd can fit)

Here is the smaller version of the case...

only thing i might add is more slits in the front or something so it doesnt look so bland. Looks like a lot of work!

only thing i might add is more slits in the front or something so it doesnt look so bland. Looks like a lot of work!

Yeah I was thinking about that but I like plain fronts, but I decided to put like standoffs for the front for airflow and add a bit of styling...

Pretty cool. Seems like the PSU will be breathing in some hot air from the vid card area in its present location/orientation, however. Perhaps having it intake from the back of the case, exhausting out the top would work?

Or mount it on the horizontal just below the mobo, intaking from the bottom, exhausting to the rear. Then put a 140mm or 120mm exhaust where the PSU currently sits.

Pretty cool. Seems like the PSU will be breathing in some hot air from the vid card area in its present location/orientation, however. Perhaps having it intake from the back of the case, exhausting out the top would work?

Or mount it on the horizontal just below the mobo, intaking from the bottom, exhausting to the rear. Then put a 140mm or 120mm exhaust where the PSU currently sits.

Thats exactly what I want the PSU to do. If the psu gets too hot that way, I can just cover up the hole in the divider and add a 120mm fan under the PSU...;)

Another solution can be reversing the mobo tray to face the other side...

I guess I'm more a proponent of the trend away from using PSUs to exhaust cases.

Here are some advantages to laying the PSU down on your second platform:
1. Cooler running PSU
2. Better COG
3. Shorter runs for HDD and optical drive power leads.
4. Opportunity to use speed-controlled exhaust fan for vid card area.

Drawbacks:
1. Back of case won't be able to reside as near to a wall. It'll need to be at least a couple inches away from wall to accommodate the power cable. If, as I assume, you'll only have monitor, ethernet, usb cables exiting the rear of the top chamber, then back of case can be pushed up as close as an inch to a wall.
2. One more fan making noise.

I guess if your rear divider is removable by screws, you could try either way.

So when does fabrication commence???

Back