Plextor not running right anymore

3l3m3nt

Limp Gawd
My plextor used to burn dvd's fine... and then it started burning pretty bad like the buffer would go up and down and when it went all the way up it would burn... and then when it would start going down it would stop and wait for it to go back up again which took a long time to finally complete burning something... i did the firmware update on this 712A which didn't do anything... any ideas?

Check your task manager to see if any programs are using up CPU power/memory which can cause the buffer to drop.

Nope done that... nothing is usually running when this happens... i've even restarted to make sure that the problem is with the burner itself... since it's a couple years old could that be the problem?

There have been unconfirmed reports of plexi's doing that. I dont know what to make of it. Mine's coming up on its 1 year warranty expiration :D

I think you might be running into the DMA timeout bug in windows, myself. Check the device manager for your IDE controller and make sure its in DMA mode.

device manager->IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers -> (appropriate controller and channel properties).

I am unsure the exact means to fix it if its in PIO mode, but a google or forum search for "DMA Timeout" should get the appropriate fix for you.

Tried it and it's still running bad.... i'm not sure what the problem is... max reading speed is just less them 1mb/s and when i'm trying to burn at 7.5 mb/s it has to wait for the buffer to get back up to 100% then burns for like 5 seconds until the buffer drops back down and then when it goes back up it burns for another 5 seconds... just weird. Since it's a year old i'll just buy a new one i guess or try an older firmware update.

Alright i figured out the problem... i reinstalled an older firmware then the newest one they released and everything is running good now...

Back