Plugged my HT system to my PC, need a few suggestions!

EviL-aLphA

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,
I have recently connected my 7.1 home theater system to my computer through a S/PDIF connector. I have read that it only transfers 2.1 sound but i can be incorrect.

I was wondering if it would be smart to upgrade my sound card (which is the onboard Realtek ALC888 that came with my Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L mobo) to something a little more powerful such as the new asus cards or anything else.

My next upgrade is going to either be a subwoofer or a soundcard (if the sound card would be a smarter upgrade) for around $200.

My HT system currently looks like this:
Receiver: Onkyo HT-R550
Speakers (Left/Right): Jamo E660 Floor standing speakers
Center: Jamo C60Cen Speaker
rest of the speakers and subwoofer are stock onkyo ones that came with my HTiB system.

Is my computer holding back my brand new speakers from performing at full potential? I am trying to get the most out of my HT system while its connected to my computer, as about 80% of my HT system usage is done through the computer (i occasionally fire up my x360 or watch TV, but mostly use my PC)

Also my main use for the system while its plugged into my computer is music listening.
I do use Foobar2000 to listen to music and i have it go through a WASAPI filter so it bypasses the windows decoder.

Any detailed suggestions as to what i should change, or upgrade or anything of that sort would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Here are a few pictures of my speaker set up to get a better idea (I know its HORRIBLE but this is just temporary until i move my room around) also excuse the mess, got a ton of midterms and stuff going on right now an im really unorganized:eek:
DSC_0330.jpg

IMG00002-20091021-1411.jpg

Are you playing any 5.1/7.1ch content? Then yes, do what it takes to output DD 5.1 etc. to your reciever.

Hey guys,
I have recently connected my 7.1 home theater system to my computer through a S/PDIF connector. I have read that it only transfers 2.1 sound but i can be incorrect.

I was wondering if it would be smart to upgrade my sound card (which is the onboard Realtek ALC888 that came with my Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L mobo) to something a little more powerful such as the new asus cards or anything else.

My next upgrade is going to either be a subwoofer or a soundcard (if the sound card would be a smarter upgrade) for around $200.

I could be wrong but I believe SPDIF will only transfer 5.1 DTS or the like. It will not transfer the newer blu-ray formats like DTS Master, etc. With that said you will only get 5.1 surround if the source file has 5.1.

Upgrading to a soundcard would possibly allow you to do 7.1 if that's what your after. However, depending on your graphics card (which I dont see in your sig) you may be able to do 7.1 already. Any of the 4xxxx series of ATI cards can do 7.1 audio over HDMI, but unfortunately your receiver will not do audio over HDMI. It requires a seperate audio connection when using HDMI (which I am sure you are aware of already :))

With all that said here are my thoughts.

More expensive better long run alternative:
If you can do HDMI from your video card purchase a new receiver that can decode 7.1 over HDMI. I recommend the Onkyo TX-SR606, TX-SR706, TX-SR806. You can find refurbs for a decent price. This will allow you to run everything HDMI in the future (tis a good thing).

Cheaper alternative that will work with a little effort:
If you don't want to purchase a new receiver then a soundcard would be your best alternative. I will let others discuss soundcards as this is not my forte as I am using HDMI only. Once hooked up using the diagram on page 28 of the manual you would be able to get 7.1 audio to your receiver.

Last edited:
thanks for the suggestions guys!

My main post might of been unclear, but getting 7.1 out of my system (computer that is) is probably the least important thing right now that im focusing on!
My current graphic card is a HD 4850 though which i believe has pretty much the same sound hardware as my motherboard.

Again the main usage that is being done by the HT system is from my computer, and about 80% of my computer usage is music listening and some occasional video game sessions.. Movies and any 5.1 or 7.1 audio is usually done through my xbox360 which is connected via component cables to my receiver. So im trying to get full focus on my computer audio quality.

What i was trying to understand from my main post is, if a new sound card would provide better audio quality from my brand new speaker set up. I am trying to receive the best possible quality to come out of my computer and into my receiver. So by buying a new sound card would that be very beneficial for me, or is my onboard realtek alc888 sound card that is connected to my receiver via S/PDIF enough? and if there are any other ways to get as much potential out of my receiver while its connected to my pc what would these options be?

When i bought my receiver i didn't know that the HDMI port only did video =[ but thats ok for now.

thanks for the suggestions guys!

My main post might of been unclear, but getting 7.1 out of my system (computer that is) is probably the least important thing right now that im focusing on!
My current graphic card is a HD 4850 though which i believe has pretty much the same sound hardware as my motherboard.

Again the main usage that is being done by the HT system is from my computer, and about 80% of my computer usage is music listening and some occasional video game sessions.. Movies and any 5.1 or 7.1 audio is usually done through my xbox360 which is connected via component cables to my receiver. So im trying to get full focus on my computer audio quality.

What i was trying to understand from my main post is, if a new sound card would provide better audio quality from my brand new speaker set up. I am trying to receive the best possible quality to come out of my computer and into my receiver. So by buying a new sound card would that be very beneficial for me, or is my onboard realtek alc888 sound card that is connected to my receiver via S/PDIF enough? and if there are any other ways to get as much potential out of my receiver while its connected to my pc what would these options be?

When i bought my receiver i didn't know that the HDMI port only did video =[ but thats ok for now.

By passing the audio over SDPIF to your receiver your receiver is performing the same functions a soundcard would. Moving to a soundcard might provide some minimal performance increases, but probably not enough to justify its purchase IMO.

Your graphics card can do 7.1 audio over HDMI (but since your reciever cant it doesnt matter currently). If at some point you get a receiver that can you will be able to run a HDMI cable to it and get all your video and audio over HDMI. The main diff is that your onboard sound can only do 5.1 whereas your graphics card can do 7.1. Both would send that signal to the receiver where it is decoded and sent to your speakers.

I also purchase a receiver (2+ yrs ago) that did HDMI pass-through. I didnt know enough to know this wasnt what I wanted. Now its in my bedroom hooked up to my bedroom HT and shortly will be sold to a friend so I can purchase the Onkyo TX-SR606 and finally be all HDMI in my apartment :).

A suggestion would be to look at the bitrate of your music. The lower the bitrate the more likely a good home theater will make it sound like crap as its a highly compressed file. I went back and re-copied all my CD's at a super high bitrate and they do sound better, but they take up 3x more space on my computer, which due to the space I have and a server build in progress isnt a problem for me.

Last edited:
By passing the audio over SDPIF to your receiver your receiver is performing the same functions a soundcard would. Moving to a soundcard might provide some minimal performance increases, but probably not enough to justify its purchase IMO.

Your graphics card can do 7.1 audio over HDMI (but since your reciever cant it doesnt matter currently). If at some point you get a receiver that can you will be able to run a HDMI cable to it and get all your video and audio over HDMI. The main diff is that your onboard sound can only do 5.1 whereas your graphics card can do 7.1. Both would send that signal to the receiver where it is decoded and sent to your speakers.

I also purchase a receiver (2+ yrs ago) that did HDMI pass-through. I didnt know enough to know this wasnt what I wanted. Now its in my bedroom hooked up to my bedroom HT and shortly will be sold to a friend so I can purchase the Onkyo TX-SR606 and finally be all HDMI in my apartment :).

A suggestion would be to look at the bitrate of your music. The lower the bitrate the more likely a good home theater will make it sound like crap as its a highly compressed file. I went back and re-copied all my CD's at a super high bitrate and they do sound better, but they take up 3x more space on my computer, which due to the space I have and a server build in progress isnt a problem for me.

Thanks so, so far it looks like i will be upgrading my Sub if a new sound card wont really do me any good.

Yeah i only listen to 320+ bitrate files, i have been slowly replacing my library with perfect FLAC rips or 320 or v0 settings which are the highest a compressed mp3 should be set at to sound good :D

any more input would be awesome

Thanks so, so far it looks like i will be upgrading my Sub if a new sound card wont really do me any good.

Yeah i only listen to 320+ bitrate files, i have been slowly replacing my library with perfect FLAC rips or 320 or v0 settings which are the highest a compressed mp3 should be set at to sound good :D

any more input would be awesome

Good. That is what I have been doing as well and I have noticed a difference in how they sound. I would also suggest you run the Audysee room correction program on your reciever. It made a huge difference in my home theater room.

What kinda a budget you got for a sub? I would look at some Internet companies (SVS, Outlaw Audio, HSU, etc). You can get a really good sub for your money with those companies.

Back