pny 580

its sad that people are so lazy/afraid to do watercooling that they buy these shitty kits.

no way in fucking hell would I only use a 120x1 rad for a gtx 580... and they want to do the GPU AND CPU?

Last edited:
its sad that people are so lazy/afraid to do watercooling that they buy these shitty kits.

no way in fucking hell would I only use a 120x1 rad for a gtx 580... and they want to do the GPU AND CPU?
We can hear the guffaws already from water cooling enthusiasts; cooling a CPU and GPU with a 120mm radiator is a joke. And we'd normally be one of the first to agree with you. But after getting these cards on the bench, we'll admit we were forced to eat our own objections.

3rd or 4th thread about the same card, BUT.. First one with a review. Thanks for sharing.

We can hear the guffaws already from water cooling enthusiasts; cooling a CPU and GPU with a 120mm radiator is a joke. And we'd normally be one of the first to agree with you. But after getting these cards on the bench, we'll admit we were forced to eat our own objections.

Nice ;)

If you read the review kinjiwing you would have seen that what cannondale is saying above is in the article. This card seems to fucking rock! :)

I dont care what a review says.. you cannot cool a gtx 580 at full load with a 120 rad.. not unless you want 60-70c which defeats the purpose in the first place.

I dont care what a review says.. you cannot cool a gtx 580 at full load with a 120 rad.. not unless you want 60-70c which defeats the purpose in the first place.

I suggest you read the review ;)

47c at full load
pny_gtx580lc_tempsgpu.jpg

Hear that sound? That was my jaw hitting the floor. The GTX 580 XLR8 Liquid Cooled posts results that are 40°C cooler than the reference air cooler. That's nothing short of outstanding. Keep in mind, this is WITH the CPU running at full tilt on Prime95 as well. And with a Delta of only 13°C, the load temps aren't much higher than idle, certainly nothing like the 49°C difference on the reference card.

Now let's take a look at the CPU temperatures:

pny_gtx580lc_tempscpu.jpg

Wow. The PNY GTX 580 Liquid Cooled manages to beat the vaunted Noctua NH-D14 and claim the top spot for CPU cooling. Remember, this is with FurMark running on the GPU full tilt as well, so the results would be even better with only the CPU loaded. This is quite a shockingly pleasant surprise, to say the least.

Holy DICK. That's impressive, AND a 5 year warranty if you register the card, not their crappy "lifetime" one.

That is not bad at all.

I havent looked for pictures of this disassembled, however; it seems like this kit also has an aditional radiator within the graphics card since it is still 2 slot design that includes a fan!

ALSO! That is one beefey looking radiator!

Looks like possibly the liquid cooling on the card is GPU only. Using HSF to cool the rest of the card. VRM's, RAM, etc... Smart move looking at the performance figures. I'm assuming that the HSF likely does a better job than the reference design at cooling the other components.

I have done a lot of WC in my days and the 580 on one rad is easily accomplished. I was suprised to see how well the GPU+CPU combo worked though.

i see one small issue
what if you have to RMA the card?
you have pull your CPU cooling as well kinda a pain

I havent looked for pictures of this disassembled, however; it seems like this kit also has an aditional radiator within the graphics card since it is still 2 slot design that includes a fan!

Dude I think you hit the nail right on the head. Your guess HAS to be right. It makes sense. I even questioned why the hell is there a fan on it anyway. It may have some tiny proprietary rad in the card that can also help dissipate an additional 100 watts or so. That is the only thing that can make sense as kenjiwing is right in that normally a 120mm Rad shouldn't be able to do all of this.

i see one small issue
what if you have to RMA the card?
you have pull your CPU cooling as well kinda a pain

Good point. Well while it's away for RMA assuming it's your only videocard your SOL anyway. Or if you have SLi, simply put the stock cooler on your cpu that comes with it and set the clock speeds to normal or a slight oc on the cpu. Well with rumors of the new Ivy bridge or SB E series not coming with coolers this could get tricky ;)

If this card is a reference design, I wonder if other cards could use it?

pny05.jpg

The PNY setup we reviewed actually surprised us when we tested it, we did not expect to see such great results considering that it was also cooling the CPU.

The PNY setup we reviewed actually surprised us when we tested it, we did not expect to see such great results considering that it was also cooling the CPU.

I enjoyed the review. I notice there is no extra radiator under the shroud on the card which I posted above sounded right how does it do all of this with a single 120mm rad? It boggles the mind :eek: :D

Let's put this way; we're all know a single rad of that size can dissipate up to 200W or more of heat. An overclocked 95w TDP CPU can only put out the maximum of 150w of heat. I estimate the GPU outputs around another 100+W because the MEM & VRMS are cooled by heatsink and fan therefore no extra heat dump into the GPU block.

Also, I thing it may have two blocks/pumps, if it is then it will boost the thermal performance.

Only people never deal with water cooling will be really surprised with the results. GPU temps instantly cut to half as soon you put it on water even with a single rad.

Keep this in mind, the test bed in the review was done on the open bench, that's about 5°C difference from in an enclosed case.

What's the point of Furmark these days? Isn't it throttled by NVIDIA's drivers?

Yes it is afaik. However the author puts that there because although it is throttled it still puts a heavy load on the gpu, it just makes sure that your power consumption doesn't go through the roof. It's just for the author to show and emphasize how well the card handled the stress cooling the CPU ALONG with furmark running on the gpu which should heat up the whole loop even more.

Isn't power limit is also sensing the temp as well?

If that the case then the temp never reach the threshold (97°c), therefore the power limit wouldn't have kick in yet.

Why people so concern with Furmark?

I've tested my OCed card with Furmark and passed it a flying color but it crashed instancely with 3DMark11.

Back