PNY GTX580 XLR8 and after-market cooler: voids warranty?

OldM3ta

[H]ard|Gawd
Does removing the stock cooler off a PNY XLR8 GTX580 void its warranty?

This statement seems excessivly vague to me:
This warranty applies only on the condition that the product has been installed, maintained and
operated under conditions of normal use and in accordance with the installation guide provided herewith. The
provisions of this warranty shall not apply if, in PNY's sole judgment, the product has been subject to misuse or
neglect, improper installation, damaged in an accident, or repaired or altered in any way that affects its
performance or reliability.

Ripped from here => http://www3.pny.com/support/media/F...a-bd8a152eb045/XLR8 Warranty - 9-01-09_v1.pdf

So if you swap the cooler, make sure to hang onto the original HS/F and screws.

Edit: Also, PNY comes across as a little shady with their idea of a "lifetime warranty." Their idea of "lifetime" is as long as they still manufacture or sell that particular product. So if the 28nm parts come out this fall and your card dies next spring, you're SOL.

Last edited:
" repaired or altered in any way that affects its performance or reliability"

Wow, in my opinion, that statement definitely allows for them to void the warranty should they say "we know you had an aftermarket cooler on it", or "we know you used a different thermal paste".

The card doesn't even have a regular Philips screws on it, but some weird star-shaped one. Thanks.

Also, I agree.. that lifetime warranty succeeded by that huge asterisk is a real kick in the nuts. A shame.

Yes it would probably void your warranty with PNY, as mentioned before, keep your original cooler to switch back if you need warranty support.

No 'if' or 'buts' about it, PNY usually has higher priced products and very strict warranty parameters. Their products are usually pretty solid but it seems they LOOK for ways not to honor a warranty. "Buyer beware"

You can get Torx bits to remove the OEM cooler, but I would install & test the 580 first. If it is 100%, then get the after market cooler. But that will void the warranty IMHO.

IMO any time you replace stock parts on just about any companies products you void the warranty. This has been pretty much a rule except for specialty companies which cater specifically to modders and OC people and they should state right in their warranty it is OK to do this. That being said most will not notice or care if you put the original parts back on. Lets be honest companies this big have low wage labor doing RMAs they have a protocol they run through to check something. And the amount of time it would take to pull a card apart and fight with a customer is often not worth the trouble. Also many times a company knows that you did something wrong but rather than risk an irrate customer and forum posts from hell they replace it anyway. Given their total sales volume and customer base you know most RMAs are probably user fault where they just did not know how to put soemthing together right.

For instance I have RMA'd 2 mobos one I replaced the loud north bridge fan that would fail all the time A8N-E anyone? And the other I had antifreeze spill on. In both cases ASUS and MSI replaced them.

I sold off my PNY. For those who don't care about never replacing the stock cooler, the card did well. I don't care too much about the lifetime warranty, even though it's sneaky to make it sounds like it's a non-expiring warranty. I'm trying my luck with an MSI overclocked 580 gtx now.

Back