PNY Optima 512MB - Single Sided?

xxaaqq

[H]ard|Gawd
Can anyone verify if PNY Optima 512MB 184-pin PC3200 DDR is single or double sided? The PNY Technologies web site didn't seem to have very good specifications. I need to find out if it'll work in a Gigabyte GA-8i848P-L motherboard along with two other single sided dimms. (If it's single sided, yes, if not, no!)

S'ok, I re-read the manual, and realized it'll work as long at is in DDR1 (first slot).

xxaaqq said:
S'ok, I re-read the manual, and realized it'll work as long at is in DDR1 (first slot).

Be careful with the PNY Optima PC3200 memory (based on my experiences). It is rated for the loosest timings that JEDEC allows for DDR400 memory: CAS 3-4-4-8. And even at those loose timings, you may need a manual DDR voltage setting of 2.7V to 2.75V just for that module to run stable.

Furthermore, the package carries a warning to use that memory only on DDR400 systems (this means that the motherboard chipset must officially support DDR400 memory in order to use the PC3200 version of the PNY Optima DDR modules). If your motherboard chipset does not officially support DDR400 memory, then you are advised to pick the PC2700 version instead.

For the record, the modules of that memory that I had were double-sided. In that case, if you're going to use all three DIMMS on that GigaByte GA-8i848P-L motherboard, only one of those three modules may be double sided - and the double-sided module must be placed in the first DIMM slot - in order to run the memory at DDR400 speed; otherwise, it will default to DDR333.

I actually have a 512 MB stick of PNY 2700 and a 512 MB stick of PNY 3200 RAM in my FTP server right now.

Both are double sided modules, as expected.

The only source of single sided 512 MB modules that I know of comes from Crucial.

Yup, put it in DDR1 like I said, and it all seems to be working great. Will have to verify that it's running at 400Mhz, but it should. The chip is a 2.4C (800Mhz FSB) so 400Mhz operation would be good (especially since it doesn't have the benefit of dual channel).

Back