Poker Pros Face off With Computer

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
Apparently computers are not quite as masterful at poker as they are with checkers, but that doesn’t mean the upcoming shootout of poker pro vs. machine won’t be an interesting one.

NEW YORK - Poker champion Phil Laak has a good chance of winning when he sits down this week to play 2,000 hands of Texas Hold'em — against a computer. It may be the last chance he gets. Computers have gotten a lot better at poker in recent years; they're good enough now to challenge top professionals like Laak, who won the World Poker Tour invitational in 2004. But it's only a matter of time before the machines take a commanding lead in the war for poker supremacy.

The next step, naturally, is to rig one of these into an online poker site (or several...), and watch the profits roll in. I can't wait.

The next step, naturally, is to rig one of these into an online poker site (or several...), and watch the profits roll in. I can't wait.

A similar suggestion, to use something like the Chessmaster computer games under "Grandmaster" level, or something similar, in online chess games.

For the record, I played against "Pokibot" for years and kicked its butt. They wouldn't let it play in the pot limit game though, as it would have been busted in a heartbeat. :eek: :p :D

It stayed in the limit poker games and slapped little kids about the head and neck. :rolleyes:

I'll be happy to re-match for $50,000. :cool:

Back