POLL: LCD or CRT for DOOM 3

Harkamus

Supreme [H]ardness
I'd like to know what people will use for DOOM 3. If you choose LCD, please list the resolution and size of the actual screen; that way I know if you're playing on the native resolution or not.

I just got a Dell 2001FP and will probably play at 1024 x 768 even though native res is 1600 x 1200.

the main drawback for an LCD I think will be the dark gameplay will make things hard to see. It's hard for me to see dark images on my second PC which has an LCD.

I'll be using a 21" CRT.

Harkamus said:
I just got a Dell 2001FP and will probably play at 1024 x 768 even though native res is 1600 x 1200.

Native for the 2001fp is 16x12 but if I remember correctly from a review that 1280x1024 is just as good or native as well for the Dell.

I will try to play Doom3 at 1600x1200. Can't wait to see if this game makes my rig puke and make me invest in a watercooling system for overclocking everything.

I have a Solarism 17" LCD, bright as CRTs. I'll be Dooming at 12x10 (if my Gateway X800XT pre-order ever comes in).

monsterfraglan_47s.JPG

monsterfraglan_49s.JPG

I'll be using one hell of a CRT that I got for free from a VERY generous member here, a sony Trinitron tube 19in CRT in perfect condition. Plan on gaming 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 if my rig can handle it (grabbing a 512mb video card for the second time around).

I'll be using a Dell 21" P1110 Trinitron CRT... I don't like LCDs for gaming because of the native resolution.

CRT, of course. Will be running 120 Hz on it @ 1024 x 768. Looks good, very good. Even if there's a 60 FPS cap on it, it will be extremely smooth. I can always adjust the monitor resolution if I can't settle with 1024 x 768 and it'll still look fine. I don't like the ghosting and 60 hz and wonkiness with the nativeness thing.

-J.

Never giving up my 19" Sony G400 for anything but a 30-inch apple display!
does 1600x1200 @ 85hz!! Goes all the way up to 2048x1536, and at that rez you really don't need AA! (same goes for about 1600x1200)

CRT, the game is going to be dark. I used to play games on my LCD until I started playing UT2003. With the grey and dark colors, I had to get a 17" CRT to put on the side. Now I just use the CRT for games and the LCD for anything besides.

I have a 23" mistubishi crt......(that I got for free btw)but alas unless I get a new video card I won't be playing Doom3 anytime soon......doom 1 or 2 but not 3 :(

-Rikus

1280x1024, 19" LCD, with proper setup looks quite good. I bought a 6800GT just so I would be able to handle that rez, at least for single palyer mode. Fragging my fellows, I go lower on rez if I need to because frags is all that counts there...

i will be using my 22" NEC FP1350. it gets really bright, so dark areas will be no problem, and it supports a very wide range of resolutions and refresh rates. just as a reference, the doom 3 beta runs at 16x12 on the system in my sig, i dont know how much they will change for the final version though.

Rob94hawk said:
Native for the 2001fp is 16x12 but if I remember correctly from a review that 1280x1024 is just as good or native as well for the Dell.

I will try to play Doom3 at 1600x1200. Can't wait to see if this game makes my rig puke and make me invest in a watercooling system for overclocking everything.

Yeah, the 2001FP has several resolutions it will deal with and scale properly. :)

I'll be using one as well. I find the picture quality excellent and I don't get the eyestrain I did with my 19" Sony Trinitron CRT.

RikuS said:
I have a 23" mistubishi crt......(that I got for free btw)but alas unless I get a new video card I won't be playing Doom3 anytime soon......doom 1 or 2 but not 3 :(

-Rikus

don't worry, it will run on your machine

Rikus, your mp3 player has a bigger hard drive then your pc :) just thought i would point that out to you :)

lcd - viewsonic vp171b. since it's 1280x1024 native, i'll try that, but i imagine details will have to be turned down a bit on this 9800 pro.

22" CRT, NEC 2141sb. I need 1600x1200 + 21+", and i don't want an LCD enough to spend $1000+

For those of you with LCDs, the problem are LCDs' inherent difficulty in very dark color contrast. Even if you have a Solarism 800cd/m monitor, the very dark shades may not be well defined. Pumping up the brightness may help some, but having a screen too bright will also limit the contrast overall. The problem is LCDs ARE bright. So bright in fact that they have trouble rendering black as black while keeping white as white. Most people have their LCDs far too bright anyway (if you have it at manufacturer's default or higher, that's almost gauranteed you have it too bright).

If I get my video card upgraded, I'll be using a 17" LCD.

Heh, I spent the better part of 2 whole days tweaking mine to get it just right, comparing to the SONY CRT that I was replacing the whole time. I'm happy with the image for most things, don't know how D3 will be, but you can bet I'm dying to see. :D

For those of you with LCDs, the problem are LCDs' inherent difficulty in very dark color contrast. Even if you have a Solarism 800cd/m monitor, the very dark shades may not be well defined. Pumping up the brightness may help some, but having a screen too bright will also limit the contrast overall. The problem is LCDs ARE bright. So bright in fact that they have trouble rendering black as black while keeping white as white. Most people have their LCDs far too bright anyway (if you have it at manufacturer's default or higher, that's almost gauranteed you have it too bright).

I currently am using a 21'' CRT monitor and it can run 1280x1024 @ 85Hz. At 1600x1200 it can only draw @ 75Hz. Anyways I enjoy the size of the screen, more for your peripheral view. I cannot wait to play Doom3 on this monitor.

Any LCD of this size would run me well over $1000 for a good one, and my wallet is pretty tight right now so I'll be sticking with this big fucker for a while. Not to mention its a great heater for the winter time (and the summer of course :rolleyes: :) )

definitely CRT for the crisp gaming.

I'm going to try to play it at 2048 x 1536 on this monitor. The monitor can handle it fine but I doubt my video card can give me acceptable framerates though.

19" LG Flatron

Can do 2048 if I want to, but my 9700 is already dieing, I dont want to kill it::p

ViewSonic E90f+ 19" CRT monitor

Just got a brand new about 3 weeks ago after I RMA'd my old one that was about a year old.

samsung syncmaster 700ift 17", hopefully at 1280x1024

it does 85hz at 1280x1024 which cant be said for a lot of 17 inchers!

21" Hitachi CM823F. Usually I run my desktop and games my rig can handle at 1600x1200. Probably not for Doom 3 though.

I'll be running it on a CRT, and old 21" Hitachi Superscan Elite. It's a great monitor, but because it's so old it is absolutely huge and gives off a lot of heat.

I'm still using my IIyama Vision Master Pro 21" CRT and will probably keep using it until it craps out. Which it sounds like for Doom 3 will be the better route anyway.

I'll be running my HP L2335 23" LCD display. What do you think my framerate will be @ 1920x1200 w/ max detals on a 9800XT... 2, 3 fps? :rolleyes:

I'll be using a Samsung 172t 17" LCD at 1280x1024, although a CRT would be better for D3. At times, I wish i still had my Sony 19" CRT, but then I remember the massive footprint which consumed all of my desk space. Hopefully, the Gigabyte X800XT-PE i have on backorder will arrive around the time of Doom 3's release, otherwise I'll be using a 9700Pro for a while.

I have a Samsung 192N 19" LCD that I'll be using. Hopefully I'll be able to do all my gaming at 12x10 native res with my new 6800GT that BB says will be here tomorrow.

My Viewsonic p220fb 22"

Will do 2048x1536, but I just run 1600x1200, probably try to play doom at 1280x1024, will be upgrading video card before christmas.

Yogi said:
but because it's so old it is absolutely huge and gives off a lot of heat.
I hear you on that one... not a good combination with the summer.

I am going to hopefully play it on a DLP projector. Only 800x600 but it is going to be 8" wide. Also as an aside I'm going to move my computer into the lounge for full dolby digital. B&W 603 fronts, CC6 centre and Mission M71i rears. all hocked up to a Yamaha 100WPC Amp (All unfortunatly worth a dam site more than my pooter...Radeon 9500pro only :-(.

Hay Ho

8" huh? That's pretty small for a projector ;)

Anyway, 2001 FP for me probably at 1280x1024. That LCD does a marvelous job of scaling. Thief 3 did show LCDs aren't the best for dark gaming, unless you turn the lights off. But that's how I planned to play Doom 3 anyway.

I'm gonna be using my NEC 1760v 17" LCD. It should be ok, it does have the usual problem with LCD's not dealing with dark areas very well, but it should still be ok. 16ms response time and it's pretty bright for a LCD so I'm good there... :cool:

Back