Poll: New Macbook vs. Macbook Pro

Which laptop would you prefer / do you have?

• I will be getting the new Macbook

Votes: 64 51.6%
  • I will be getting the Macbook Pro

Votes: 38 30.6%
  • I already own a Macbook Pro but will buy a Macbook

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • (God forbid) I Already have a Macbook (In which case I am a crazed fan boy) but will be getting a Ma

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • None

Votes: 19 15.3%

• Total voters
i think i'll be buying a macbook at the end of the fall semester....hopefully for christmas

Im the 1 person that voted for macbook pro lol. I cant stand intel graphics. I game to much so I think i will fork over the extra 650 for the pro.

Maybe the MacBook sometime late summer. Apple usually run iPod + system bundle deals for back to school. And with the new iPod nearing.... :)

Apple is perhaps the only company out there selling more portable laptops cheaper than less portable ones. This always struck me as odd... Macbook is a better choice than what IBM or Sony offers at this portability in terms of price/performance compared to Macbook Pro's. Macbook Pro's are way too much expensive for their performance IMHO, there are much better PC alternatives at much more reasonable prices... So I won't buy anyone soon, not until I get a new job but if I were to I would go the Macbook route as I have two powerful gaming rigs already...

I already have a laptop (Dell) but since that is technically the property of my empoyer, and I am likely switching jobs soon, that will have to go back.

If I do decide to buy my own laptop (and if my new job doesn't give me one) I am very interested in the MacBook Pro 17" model.

Not only do I not really see the appeal in tiny laptops, the specs on the regular MacBook leave too much to be desired. Screen is too small, screen resolution is too low, no dual link DVI, integrated graphics, and no firewire 800. The 17" model seems to have it all however.

The lowest-end Macbook seems like a worthy replacement of my iBook G4, but I just don't see the point. Right now, I need more performance, period. Not more portable performance. It's more appealing to sell the iBook and buy a stationary. Or keep the iBook and build a stationary... we'll see.

I was seriously looking at the new MacBook, but when I saw the vid card specs for it I shied away...

mm i can't wait to buy my 13" macbook. I was contemplating the 15" but 13" is nicer for frequent flights and really who can argue with an intel core duo mac laptop for around a grand (or less :D )

-esr

i have an AmEx Blue card on its way (0% for 15 months WOOT) ... and as soon as it comes ill be getting a black, 2 gigs of RAM off ebay, and hopefully a cover for it (i carry my iBook EVERYWHERE... literally... you can often find me leaning out of the shower to read the [H] j/k)

I think I'm going to pick up a macbook in 2 or 3 weeks. I want to see what people say about them a little first. If not a macbook then an ecs g420 if I can find one. I want a better graphics card but I think at this point I'll give up and just get this with the intel graphics.

For those of you who are not happy with the integrated video setup, it is somewhat an improvement over the iBooks. The iBooks has a 32mb ATI9550 while the MacBook has a 64mb integrated video. Its all what you might think; they might just be comparable.

If I were looking to buy right now I would get a MacBook, but my T40 still has some good life left in her.

for me it is:

macbook
pros:
I like the user serviaveable hd (one for os x, one for xp/whatever)
smaller (currently have 12" powerbook)

cons:
video choice
glossy lcd

macbook pro
pros:
video

cons:
size
nonuser serviable hd

so what will I get? neither right now I will hold tight on my 12" powerbook for a while yet.

I am some what in the same boat right now. I want the 15" 2.0 Macbook pro, but the money is the biggest problem for me. I would love to have designated video and the back lit keybored. I would be using it for video editing and this would be my first mac. I guess I would have to test the two side my side to make a decision..Do you think apple will offer good deals on back to school for the Macbook pro?

Don't americans get an education discount like us Canadians? Any college student gets 200$ off the mbp... I can get one for 1999$ CAD + Tax.

I think I will be either getting the Macbook Pro of the G5 Desktop. Still not sure yet. I do love that both the Macbook and the Pro versions have a integrated camera.Looks beautiful.....*sniff* :(

ATI9700Pro said:
I think I will be either getting the Macbook Pro of the G5 Desktop. Still not sure yet. I do love that both the Macbook and the Pro versions have a integrated camera.Looks beautiful.....*sniff* :(

Unless you almost exclusively use the Apple made apps, and you need the native PPC stuff to run really well right now, I'd stay clear of the G5 towers. While Apple is likely going to continue to support the PPC binaries for quite some time, I have a feeling a lot of smaller and independant developers are going to be making the switch exclusively to x86 shortly after Apple shifts all of its product line.

just stopped by the apple store, i'm going with the black, i'm not a huge fan of that grey color on the inside of the white macbook... and i miss the old keyboard... oh wells. It felt soo much faster then my old 15" powerbook 1.5ghz g4 (duh). nice.

-esr

NulloModo said:
Unless you almost exclusively use the Apple made apps, and you need the native PPC stuff to run really well right now, I'd stay clear of the G5 towers. While Apple is likely going to continue to support the PPC binaries for quite some time, I have a feeling a lot of smaller and independant developers are going to be making the switch exclusively to x86 shortly after Apple shifts all of its product line.
I wrote up a large post about why most developers won't scrap PowerPC support, for technical AND marketing reasons, but at the end, I just thought "ah, to hell with it." So here's a more concise reply:

NO.

Black Morty Rackham said:
I wrote up a large post about why most developers won't scrap PowerPC support, for technical AND marketing reasons, but at the end, I just thought "ah, to hell with it." So here's a more concise reply:

NO.

I don't think the big ones will drop it anytime soon, but think about the smaller or individual operations. If you only have 1 - 10 or so people writing your code, are you going to delay release dates to do it for PPC and x86 or just do it for the system that has more market share? Of course, that depends on how fast the x86 macs overtake the PPC is total userbase.

NulloModo said:
I don't think the big ones will drop it anytime soon, but think about the smaller or individual operations. If you only have 1 - 10 or so people writing your code, are you going to delay release dates to do it for PPC and x86 or just do it for the system that has more market share? Of course, that depends on how fast the x86 macs overtake the PPC is total userbase.
You don't seem to grasp how simple it is to maintain a version for both PowerPC and x86 for most developers. For most applications, it's literally just the matter of checking a box or two and compiling a universal binary.

Discussions are alright, just keep them respectful and no fighting please..

I am suprised how many people voted for the MBP.

For those of you that have handled the new MacBooks, how does the plastic compare to that of the old ibooks, I always thought the hinges and case itself felt pretty cheap compared with the powerbooks. Have they built these pretty sturdy?

i want the white one, already got an imac, a lil macbook would be nice to have something portable for email and junk

I too want to know how the plastic feels. I am afraid that the glossy finish will atract a lot of scratches, and that the hinge will be cheap or feel cheap..for those of you lucky enough to own one, gie seom reviews if you have the time..

NulloModo said:
Well I will be probably wanting to run Bootcamp, but use quite a few mac apps. I am not quite sure what you mean by your post above as I am not too familiar with the recent macs. If you could PM me and explain and bit more that would be great!

NulloModo said:
I already have a laptop (Dell) but since that is technically the property of my empoyer, and I am likely switching jobs soon, that will have to go back.

If I do decide to buy my own laptop (and if my new job doesn't give me one) I am very interested in the MacBook Pro 17" model.

Not only do I not really see the appeal in tiny laptops, the specs on the regular MacBook leave too much to be desired. Screen is too small, screen resolution is too low, no dual link DVI, integrated graphics, and no firewire 800. The 17" model seems to have it all however.

with the exception of physical screen size, how many average consumers (target market for the macbook) actually need or will touch any of the other features you listed?

NulloModo said:

the point of the universal system is that your coders make one set of code, and magic xcode makes both ppc and x86 binaries. there is really no reason not to make a universal. that's my understanding of the system anyhow.

bahula03 said:
the point of the universal system is that your coders make one set of code, and magic xcode makes both ppc and x86 binaries. there is really no reason not to make a universal. that's my understanding of the system anyhow.
Yes, that about sums it up. There is no reason what-so-ever not to make it universal. There are only two compilers for Mac OS X Intel, and only one IDE. Only people who write assembler would want to avoid universal binaries.

bahula03 said:
with the exception of physical screen size, how many average consumers (target market for the macbook) actually need or will touch any of the other features you listed?

For the target market, not many probably. It would still be nice to see the MacBook support it though. Then again, I suppose that is why users like me keep the companies in business. I will pay extra for a feature even if know I will probably never use it, just to have it ready 'just in case'. I have 4 firewire ports on my current PC, and have never used any of them, yet I still want firewire 800 just because it is better.

Greetings all. I'm definately late to the party, but I thought I'd throw in my .02. ;)

I bought my first Apple product about 2 years ago. I got a "used" 12" Apple PowerBook laptop with 768MB Ram, SuperDrive, 40GB HD, Bluetooth and Airport Express. It had a ding on one corner, and the "bezel" around the LCD wasn't perfect... but the system ran great and I got a good deal.

About 6 months later, I wanted more HD space. And rather than pay $350 or so for HD and installation, I bought the hard drive myself, a small screwdriver and torx kit from Radio Shack, and did the work myself. It worked out great, and I've been REALLY happy with the extra space.

So then the MacBook Pro came out, and within a couple weeks one of our Apple reps had purchased a new one. He had Boot Camp installed within 48 hours of it's release, and hearing he was running FEAR and other games was just too much to handle. First chance I got, I bought an OBR here at work myself... and let me tell you, it's AWESOME.

My only issue has been trying to decide how to work HD space. I've got the Apple OS with a 45GB partition, and the Windows OS with a 47GB one. This works ok, but after installing Office, and a few other apps on each notebook... it's already starting to fill up. I need to figure out how to "Uninstall" the iWork "demo" or whatever it is... but more than that, I'd like a LOT more HD space without a significantly large external to carry around.

I started out with a spare 40GB notebook drive in a small external enclosure running FW400. I installed Tomb Raider Legend onto the external drive and was able to run it from there just fine. I also put music out there, and that works obviously. But the space was limited, so I took my OWC 250GB external enclosure with USB 2 and FW400, formatted it FAT32, and I'm using that ENTIRE drive for both OS's now. It's bigger and more of a hassle to deal with than the notebook drive... but the space is making up for it. ;)

Overall, I'm extremely happy with this setup. Though I'm gonna need to sell several computers to justify these purchases. A Shuttle SB86i, Soltek EQ-3701M, the 12" PowerBook, a 17" Dell Inspiron 9400 w/ 7800 video card... these all really should go. Between the MacBook Pro and a Sony XL1 media center system in the last two weeks, I need all the money I can scrape together to pay for it all.

That said, I love the MacBook Pro and can't imagine giving it up. I got the bluetooth working under windows with my MX900 mouse, and it can do everything I throw at it. Now if someone would create a front end software that lets you "swap" OS's on the fly, but gives you the functionality of Dual Booting. So I can work in XP, then switch to OS X to complete a document, then switch back and send that document to a user from XP. That would be SWEET! :D

I'll be buying a Macbook once all of the little glitches are worked out and I can scrape some cash together.

i second the omnidisk sweeper program.... as well look at monolingual.sourceforge.net

that will remove all the languages you dont use like hebrew, chinese, japanese, etc... there are like 1000 languages that take up like 2 gigs... i left the 4 i use the most and removed the rest...

swatbat said:
I think I'm going to pick up a macbook in 2 or 3 weeks. I want to see what people say about them a little first. If not a macbook then an ecs g420 if I can find one. I want a better graphics card but I think at this point I'll give up and just get this with the intel graphics.

Consider checking out the asus w3j or w3v.

Yeah... the integrated graphics are really, really turning me off. As you can see in my sig, my PC is more than gaming capable... and I'd like my laptop to be too.

I'm planning on taking only my laptop (MacBook, IF I get it) to dorm in the Fall, and I don't know... will I survive without gaming?
:'(
Before you suggest it, though, the Pros are out of the question. For that price, I'll just get an Alienware... -shudders

NulloModo said:
I have a feeling a lot of smaller and independant developers are going to be making the switch exclusively to x86 shortly after Apple shifts all of its product line.
Doubt it. Until the PPC computers are completely removed from Apple's OS support, Universal Binaries will be the way the devs go.

I don't know what to do at this point. I went by the local Apple store and looked at both and found myself in a tough place. I am coming from a 14" T41 Thinkpad and LOVE how portable it is. Screen size isn't a big issue for me. I was blown away by the pricing of the Macbook because it makes me feel like I'm not getting a gigantic amount more PC for the price if I go up to a Macbook Pro.

I don't game at all but I'm no longer a student either and all I hear is "Macbook is great for students/teenagers" etc etc.

Argh! Decisions, Decisions!

Back