Pondering GTA IV...is my rig capable?

erf

[H]ard|Gawd
Though my rig is keeping up for the most part I'm kinda worried that GTA IV is going to bring the old beater to its knees.

I know it's only 8 bucks right now and I will have it in my Steam catalogue for when I upgrade but how do you guys think my system will handle it? Would I atleast be able to run it on low/medium???

1280x1024 is my native res btw.

yeah the system should play the game fine at that resolution with medium settings. just dont expect it to look amazing.. even with the game maxed out it looks crappy..

You really need a Core i7 for GTA 4, since you really do want to max out the graphics. And the game is stunningly beautiful on the PC. I have no idea what this guy above is talking about? GTA 4 on the PC is mind blowing.

you might be able to pull off a lot of low with some medium at native res and still maintain good frames. my old q6600 + 4850 rig could barely maintain 30 fps with mostly medium at 1680x1050 though.

But you know, even with the graphics turned way down it'll at least par or look better than it does on the 360 (don't know about PS3). The real challenge is getting it to run without glitching on you, but hopefully the recent patches have solved all those issues ( i needa update).

You really need a Core i7 for GTA 4, since you really do want to max out the graphics. And the game is stunningly beautiful on the PC. I have no idea what this guy above is talking about? GTA 4 on the PC is mind blowing.

Haha pass me what you been hitting on all day! :p

To provide some comparison for the op. On my old monitor with my old setup (E5200 @ 4.1Ghz & 9800GTX (815/2025/1225) ) I managed to get med-high settings with average frames of 27-35. With some dipping into the low 20's.

One thing Wabe did say correctly was that the game does look nice, Its not meant to be the best looking out there but with some tweaking and with mods out there it can look decent.

I played it on a 4200+, 8800GTS(320) 2 or 4GB memory and got 23 FPS, No matter the settings

Haha pass me what you been hitting on all day! :p

To provide some comparison for the op. On my old monitor with my old setup (E5200 @ 4.1Ghz & 9800GTX (815/2025/1225) ) I managed to get med-high settings with average frames of 27-35. With some dipping into the low 20's.

One thing Wabe did say correctly was that the game does look nice, Its not meant to be the best looking out there but with some tweaking and with mods out there it can look decent.

Driving games need more than 60 fps to be fun though.

that 4200 X2 is going to make things really slow for the majority of the game. even at 1920x1080 I got a 5fps increase in the benchmark by overclocking my E8500 to 3.8 and I still have some slow downs. your 4200 X2 isnt remotely close to being as fast so I cant imagine you getting a decent expereince.

an i7 is really the cpu to have for this game. as you can see even the 6000 X2 struggles to even get remotely playable framerates so I cant even imagine a 4200 X2 being acceptable. http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...ead-of-Core-2-Quad-in-CPU-benchmarks/Reviews/

yeah the system should play the game fine at that resolution with medium settings. just dont expect it to look amazing.. even with the game maxed out it looks crappy..
um wrong because his 4200 X2 doesnt even meet the minimum requirements and turning down the graphics isnt going to help that.

Just to put things into perspective, I played GTA IV on medium settings with my old system: E6750 @ 3.2GHz, ATI 4850 512mb. The game ran relatively smoothly and I managed to play it through with only 1 or 2 crashes (before the patch). At the OP's resolution, the 9800 can handle it fine but the slower CPU and 2GB of RAM might cause some lag.

Just to put things into perspective, I played GTA IV on medium settings with my old system: E6750 @ 3.2GHz, ATI 4850 512mb. The game ran relatively smoothly and I managed to play it through with only 1 or 2 crashes (before the patch). At the OP's resolution, the 9800 can handle it fine but the slower CPU and 2GB of RAM might cause some lag.
there is no might to it. his 4200 X2 cpu is only about half as fast as your E6750 at 3.2 and in a cpu intensive game like this that will kill him. his cpu doesnt meet the min requirements to even play the game and we all know that those are usually a joke even if you do meet them.

Dude my system maxes out GTAIV at 1920x1200 with no problem and it looks alright, but not mind blowing.

Dude my system maxes out GTAIV at 1920x1200 with no problem and it looks alright, but not mind blowing.
yeah the graphics are pretty bad compared to many modern games. I cant believe anybody would call this game stunningly beautiful and mind blowing.

Yeah GTA4 doesn't look that great. To even think about maxing it out you need a quad core and as much video ram as possible.

Graphics are not mind blowing but they are not bad either. I would say they are more then acceptable considering the gameplay is mind blowing.

The gameplay was far from mindblowing. It was like DRIVE, DRIVE, DRIVE, KILL TARGET, BAD VOICE ACTING, DRIVE, DRIVE, DRIVE. I couldn't even finish it, not to mention the Rockstar social club shit was beyond horrible. I can see how some people would like it, but I was not into it.

this game demands too much from the CPU and GPU ram, you could say bad port, but with all those things, I still enjoy playing it anyway, I'm a fan of GTA series. it's not bad a game, but with that much requirement it could be better.

all in all if you're not really into GTA (that you'll play it even if it's only 20fps), then I suggest not to buy it, but surely the price tag is so inviting.

this game demands too much from the CPU and GPU ram, you could say bad port, but with all those things, I still enjoy playing it anyway, I'm a fan of GTA series. it's not bad a game, but with that much requirement it could be better.

all in all if you're not really into GTA (that you'll play it even if it's only 20fps), then I suggest not to buy it, but surely the price tag is so inviting.

Part bad optimization and part Euphoria being a resource hog.

Part bad optimization and part Euphoria being a resource hog.

Yeah, not to mention the fact that an entire city is being generated... with cars everywhere, with people everywhere, with subway trains hurtling by overhead, with the lights of the city popping up all around you and reflecting everywhere, with the light of day constantly changing and impacting the city all around you... nah, that wouldn't have anything to do with it at all.

Seriously, Rockstar did too good a job of creating a city. It's so realistic that gamers have taken everything for granted. The lighting in this game is mind blowing, but people don't understand how much work went into that. Nor do they understand how much effort went into creating a city that appeared to be weathered and corroded. Each block of Liberty City is its own block. Most people don't seem to 'get it' that the buildings in this game weren't just slapped down by some graphic artist using an editor.

All of this was explained in the art book which was bundled in the special edition.

But if you just stand there on a corner somewhere, you'll see so much stuff happening that it really is mind blowing. It's just that you're so used to seeing you own city in real life that you think nothing of it. And then people rave about the silly little jungle in Crysis... ooh look at those palm trees!

I'm a gta fan and I picked up a pc copy the other week for $20(wish I waited since it was $7.50 yesterday on steam). I already have the game on 360 with both DLCs all beat so I really bought it for mods and screwing around with. It does run well on my i7, if I recall the benchmark tool gave me 60-70fps @ 1680x1050 max settings except view distance around 60(game won't let me go past 64).

Yeah, not to mention the fact that an entire city is being generated... with cars everywhere, with people everywhere, with subway trains hurtling by overhead, with the lights of the city popping up all around you and reflecting everywhere, with the light of day constantly changing and impacting the city all around you... nah, that wouldn't have anything to do with it at all.

Seriously, Rockstar did too good a job of creating a city. It's so realistic that gamers have taken everything for granted. The lighting in this game is mind blowing, but people don't understand how much work went into that. Nor do they understand how much effort went into creating a city that appeared to be weathered and corroded. Each block of Liberty City is its own block. Most people don't seem to 'get it' that the buildings in this game weren't just slapped down by some graphic artist using an editor.

All of this was explained in the art book which was bundled in the special edition.

But if you just stand there on a corner somewhere, you'll see so much stuff happening that it really is mind blowing. It's just that you're so used to seeing you own city in real life that you think nothing of it. And then people rave about the silly little jungle in Crysis... ooh look at those palm trees!

A little over the top don't you think? I don't care how much time they spent on it, I had more fun with Crysis. Couldn't even finish GTA4.

I bought the game out of curiosity as well and let me tell you, it demolishes my poor E7300 and 2GB memory LOL. Definitely need a quad-core and a wealth of memory for this game to even think about running smoothly.

I bought the game out of curiosity as well and let me tell you, it demolishes my poor E7300 and 2GB memory LOL. Definitely need a quad-core and a wealth of memory for this game to even think about running smoothly.
well i finally finished downloading the game and after scouring the web and applying a few of the tweaks the game is without a doubt very playable. i don't know what it is about certain games but even when this game dips in the 20's you can't tell. i think it may have to do with the graphic tweak i'm using....not sure.

the only time i feel like i really need 60 fps is when i'm playing a fast paced fps. with the tweak that i'm using the game looks quite a bit better than the 360 version i would say. overall i'm satisfied with the performance and will probably actually play this game through. :cool:

well i finally finished downloading the game and after scouring the web and applying a few of the tweaks the game is without a doubt very playable. i don't know what it is about certain games but even when this game dips in the 20's you can't tell. i think it may have to do with the graphic tweak i'm using....not sure.

the only time i feel like i really need 60 fps is when i'm playing a fast paced fps. with the tweak that i'm using the game looks quite a bit better than the 360 version i would say. overall i'm satisfied with the performance and will probably actually play this game through. :cool:
I can most certainly feel the 20s in GTA 4 yet Crysis doesnt really bother me. in fact I had to oc my E8500 just to keep GTA 4 from going to the low 20s at times.with Crysis the framerate was more conssitent but in GTA 4 I can be at 55fps and then wham I am at 25. I would not even attempt to play this game with your 4200 X2. I guess with your tweaks and lower personal standards of playability it may work for you but not for most. also the screen tearing in this game is so bad at times that I finally had to use vsync and thats probably hurting my performance too since I was only averaging in the low 40s to begin with.

Back