Poor performance with EVGA GTX 1080 FTW

V3|!UM

Limp Gawd
Hey Guys,
So a few months back i was still rocking out with my trusty GTX 580. I play CS:Go a lot and I was getting about 300+ FPS with that card. IT haD finally died and I was using my bro's 7950 and was getting 200-250 FPS. Well Now I got this shiny new badass and WTF it barely Hits 200 FPS. I get CS:GO is a CPU intensive game BUT, why can I not at least match the FPS I was getting with a previous card that apparently should be getting smoked by this new card? Settings are the same as they were before. I am Running the latest drivers as of last night. I ran DDU in safe mode and cleaned out everything before the driver install. Even then all i installed was the display driver and PhysX. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cs:go codebase changes and affects fps, you can't make a direct comparison over time like that

What's the point of getting 200FPS (or >300) when the best monitors will only hit around 144Hz?

cs:go codebase changes and affects fps, you can't make a direct comparison over time like that

How can I not compare it? the day before rocking out a 7950 i was getting higher FPS than after i switched to a video card that should be destroying those numbers.

What's the point of getting 200FPS (or >300) when the best monitors will only hit around 144Hz?

I would be happy with 300, I'm not even hitting 200 though.. For CS:GO in particular the game is more responsive with a higher FPS count..

I would be happy with 300, I'm not even hitting 200 though.. For CS:GO in particular the game is more responsive with a higher FPS count..

Try a couple different versions of drivers. The latest (from last week I think) had a memory issues with Pascal cards which was killing performance. Should be fixed via a hot fix driver or a new WHQL driver soon.

Check the card load and performance while the game is running. Is the card maxed out? What base/boost speed is it operating at? What about memory speed?

Try a couple different versions of drivers. The latest (from last week I think) had a memory issues with Pascal cards which was killing performance. Should be fixed via a hot fix driver or a new WHQL driver soon.

Check the card load and performance while the game is running. Is the card maxed out? What base/boost speed is it operating at? What about memory speed?

The funny thing is the card was showing 22%-29% usage. it was maxing out at 1300mhzish, some games it would hit 1737mhz but it was OC'd when I use XOC and use the K it was hitting 2070's and like 5400 on memory.. it never went over 55C.. Its wierd its like boost works when it wants to, something is holding it back..

Maybe you have one of those nasty bitcoin mining viruses on your rig. Start looking for clues in your application and system logs in windows.

The funny thing is the card was showing 22%-29% usage. it was maxing out at 1300mhzish, some games it would hit 1737mhz but it was OC'd when I use XOC and use the K it was hitting 2070's and like 5400 on memory.. it never went over 55C.. Its wierd its like boost works when it wants to, something is holding it back..

Go into the nv control panel and select "prefer max performance"

Go into the nv control panel and select "prefer max performance"

I actually tried that last night. The Card is maxing out at stock speed but boost never kicks in. I also gave a little OC and it's not being read on XOC.. The memory OC is showing up but the core OC is not budging past 1721.. my temps are under 55C

Have you powered down the machine, and /unplugged/ it for 30 seconds. NV cards have been known to wedge their configurationm across reboots.

Or there is just not enough load and the GPU, at those speeds, produce 200 FPS for you. I know with my GTX 1080's in rocket league for example, even though I have the cards overclocked to about 2100 Mhz boost, in game for rocket league I am only running at about 1300 - 1500 Mhz but still at 100+ FPS. Yet in GTAV or Titanfall 2, Gears etc...... the card will hit full load and ramp up to my max boost ~2100 Mhz. I think just the load is not there to ramp the card up high enough that it feels it needs "moar juice".

Or there is just not enough load and the GPU, at those speeds, produce 200 FPS for you. I know with my GTX 1080's in rocket league for example, even though I have the cards overclocked to about 2100 Mhz boost, in game for rocket league I am only running at about 1300 - 1500 Mhz but still at 100+ FPS. Yet in GTAV or Titanfall 2, Gears etc...... the card will hit full load and ramp up to my max boost ~2100 Mhz. I think just the load is not there to ramp the card up high enough that it feels it needs "moar juice".

That my man is exactly what I think is happening... Its just a little frustrating. Given that I was getting higher FPS with a less powerful card..

That my man is exactly what I think is happening... Its just a little frustrating. Given that I was getting higher FPS with a less powerful card..
But like the others have stated, unless you have a monitor that can actually produce 200+ FPS, then you are seeing (with your eyes) no difference. And they have a point.....

Hey, look at it this way, it's consuming less power, staying cooler, and STILL giving you the same, more FPS than is usable, gaming expereince :) - Welcome to Pascal

Well, fps_max 0 might not even work at all. It couls be that there was a change in nvidia control panel when you changed the gpu and the game is just running at some higher quality settings. Also, some maps have spots where there is a huge impact on fps. My 980ti goes from 300 to 30 on de_lake, for example, when looking from the far side of the map.

When you used DDU, you cleaned both the Nvidia drivers AND the AMD drivers? Because you had both installed on the system.

I recommend running a registry cleaner. CCleaner has a demo version that works fine - just run the registry cleaner portion 3 times to make sure that it got everything.

That said, do you have a spare drive/partition to test out a clean Windows install? That's the nuclear option.

When you used DDU, you cleaned both the Nvidia drivers AND the AMD drivers? Because you had both installed on the system.

I recommend running a registry cleaner. CCleaner has a demo version that works fine - just run the registry cleaner portion 3 times to make sure that it got everything.

That said, do you have a spare drive/partition to test out a clean Windows install? That's the nuclear option.

Already ran that and yep did it for both..

not really explaining all your symptoms but just in case did you check that you are not running into a CPU bottleneck ?

Back