Portable app pc tech toolkit suggestions

$ilvano

Limp Gawd
Looking for recommendations for portable apps for a computer repair/cleansing/testing/optimization thumbdrive to use for my new job. This is actually my first thumb drive, so I have no clue what apps work from them, and I'd really like to put together a huge collection so I have everything I need to do spyware/virus removal, hardware testing and diagnostics, and computer optimization. Thanks in advance.

This is all you need, and works on any USB flash drive. I think it works better than the U3 crap as well.

You can also put the lastest version of beta of Everest on there as well, it executes on the drive and just gathers information from the computer. It's a very good info prog.

thanks for the suggestions. added some from portableapps.com and Everest. Also, so far my own findings : http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1123 Auslogics Disk Defrag V1.4.13
CCleaner portable, and clamwin portable (antivirus). Hoping to load up a good portion of this 4 gig thumb drive before work monday, so all suggestions/links or even types of programs I should be looking for are greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

http://portableapps.com/ and http://www.portablefreeware.com/
are both on the USB tab of my igoogle homepage.

Portableapps isn't really a "tech toolbox" solution, but it is great to have. I have portable firefox on my portable drive AND on my hard drives. I agree about clamwin. It is so slow that I have never let it actually finish a full scan.

I have never seen a more extensive list of portable programs than on the portablefreeware site.

putty portable
System information for windows (SIW)

Portableapps isn't really a "tech toolbox" solution, but it is great to have.
Not by itself, no, but the reason I linked it is, you can easily add any portable application to it's menu system, making them readily available for use on any system.

I looked at the portable apps site and couldn't find out how to add non paf.exe's to the menu. Where can I find this?

You add the folder into the program directory, and then refresh the start menu icons, which is a setting. I found this out in their forums. When I get a few minutes, I'd like to find out if I can create folders on it's start menu, since I have mine loaded up pretty well.

SIW system information for windows

This one is definetly nice, thanks for the suggestion :D Any other reccomended portable apps for a pc repair techs thumbdrive toolkit?

Personally I prefer PStart over the PortableApps program launcher. As for applications I use a lot from those sites mentioned above at my work. Specifically.... 7-Zip, AbiWord, ClamWin, CPU-Z, EditPad Lite, FoxitReader, PC Wizard 2008, Putty, winMd5Sum, CCleaner, GPU-Z, HijackThis, HWMonitor, MagicJellyBean, Restoration, Splitter, SIW, SysinternalsSuite, Security and Privacy Complete, UniExtract, Universal Viewer, FileZilla, and many other app's that I use for personal stuff.

thanks for the suggestions. added some from portableapps.com and Everest. Also, so far my own findings : http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1123 Auslogics Disk Defrag V1.4.13
CCleaner portable, and clamwin portable (antivirus). Hoping to load up a good portion of this 4 gig thumb drive before work monday, so all suggestions/links or even types of programs I should be looking for are greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

It seems that Auslogics sucks. http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/2007/05/great-defrag-shootout-iv-auslogics-disk.html Seems that the built in windows defrager is even better then it.

But then again that is a old review, and they have done lots of updates since then.

Starting point: UBCD4Win

If you're truly interested in working with a "tech toolkit" you better have something that's useful outside of Windows. In most situations, you'll probably encounter a situation where you are faced with a machine that simply won't boot into a working Windows session - so all those Windows tools people are speaking of are absolutely useless.

Using the UBCD4Win you get two benefits:

1) It's on a CD (or you could add a shitload of great tools and create a DVD version)

2) Because it's based on BartPE as the PE-environment, as soon as you've completely building your UBCD4Win, you can use PE2USB, a very cool little app that takes any BartPE-based PE CD/DVD and converts it directly to a working USB stick.

So take 1 + 2 above and you end up with the best of both worlds:

A kickass portable tech toolkit that comes on CD/DVD and a bootable USB stick also, identical in all ways, so you have some more options available when it comes to getting the jobs done. Obviously the USB version is somewhat better as you would still have the option to add more tools at a later time without needing to redo the entire UBCD4Win on space left over on the drive - something you can't do with a burned CD/DVD.

Using this as the starting point/base, you can build most anything, with Windows tools that work when you come across a working machine that just needs a helping hand, as well as having the ability to boot up the box in question from CD/DVD or USB stick and still get the job done.

Hope this helps...

Thanks Joe, thats actually alot more along the lines of what Im looking for. Will check into your links and what I can do with it.

Starting point: UBCD4Win

If you're truly interested in working with a "tech toolkit" you better have something that's useful outside of Windows. In most situations, you'll probably encounter a situation where you are faced with a machine that simply won't boot into a working Windows session - so all those Windows tools people are speaking of are absolutely useless.

Using the UBCD4Win you get two benefits:

1) It's on a CD (or you could add a shitload of great tools and create a DVD version)

2) Because it's based on BartPE as the PE-environment, as soon as you've completely building your UBCD4Win, you can use PE2USB, a very cool little app that takes any BartPE-based PE CD/DVD and converts it directly to a working USB stick.

So take 1 + 2 above and you end up with the best of both worlds:

A kickass portable tech toolkit that comes on CD/DVD and a bootable USB stick also, identical in all ways, so you have some more options available when it comes to getting the jobs done. Obviously the USB version is somewhat better as you would still have the option to add more tools at a later time without needing to redo the entire UBCD4Win on space left over on the drive - something you can't do with a burned CD/DVD.

Using this as the starting point/base, you can build most anything, with Windows tools that work when you come across a working machine that just needs a helping hand, as well as having the ability to boot up the box in question from CD/DVD or USB stick and still get the job done.

Hope this helps...

I also am a huge fan of UBCD4Win. I use a custom one for my business. It's funny because I spent countless hours customizing it... yet I have never used it once in the field. Most of my issues are networking related or too much bloat/spyware.

I also use Hiren's BootCD.

Back