~PORTAL! Thread~

You get to see my vid of how to kill the turrets?

Yep, but only after I did it my way lol.. felt dumb after I saw how easy it would have been to kill them... I was thinking all the walls were metal/whatever material you can't use the gun on.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

Speaking of which.. I think the writing on the walls might have changed on the advanced maps... at least I didn't remember all of the cube lovin on the heart cube map vs the heart ball one.

Damn it, I just beat the game work and because I wasn't online I got no achievements. Atleast I can get through the game now no problems, love the ending and all of 18 and 19 (twisted smile, the cake is a lie).

For the ending though it would be cool if it altered everytime you go through it so it never the same path. I can't call the last part a maze (no wrong turns, you just don't always know were to go), but the puzzle from hell.

Someone mentioned a cheater status, first time through on of the puzzles I could figure out what to do, but the I found I could bypass that section with as mentioned with well placed portals. I replayed it and figured it out, but at the same time I discovered other areas where you could bypass sections with portals. Great game!

How the heck do you dismount one of the cameras?

This was pretty much the most fun game I've ever played. Took me a little less than 3 hours...I need more...

Ok - now I'm ready for Portal Ep1 :D

I had more fun with Portal than I did Ep2.

I love the challenges...hard as hell, really make you think but once you figure how the way it is supposed to be done, the rest is raw skill and a little luck...
intelligence, skill and luck...

I'm already through the advanced maps and have golds on half of the challenges (13-15)

Best parts of any gamer...

i try to run it but it says i need directx 8..but i have 9...so i don't know. i give up.

Sorry that I didn't read the whole 13 pages of this thread, but how do you get past level 15 where you're in the room you have to jump over and it has the tilted walls? No matter what I tried I couldn't get the energy balls to align with the receptor.

what mod do you use the make your own portal maps? the portal game page says it includes a level editor.

For the Achievement Camera Shy: Detach security cameras from the walls...

How do I do that?

For the Achievement Camera Shy: Detach security cameras from the walls...

How do I do that?

I answered this a few posts ago, but just place a portal behind the camera and when (or if) its open the camera will fall to the ground because the wall is now open space and gravity kicks in.

Not sure how many camera's you need to displace, so just displace all that you can :p

Man Portal was a fun 2 hours or so. The levels got harder and harder, but for me got easier and easier as I really caught on (they were just longer)

the last level was nuts, the computer system must really hate you

and the credits was a riot, the song was funny

Sorry that I didn't read the whole 13 pages of this thread, but how do you get past level 15 where you're in the room you have to jump over and it has the tilted walls? No matter what I tried I couldn't get the energy balls to align with the receptor.

Go back a few pages. There's like 2 videos and a couple writeups on lvl15 already.

ya the levels were very linear and a lot of trial and error and sometimes were oh shit i shouldve of thought of that sooner type of thing.

Go back a few pages. There's like 2 videos and a couple writeups on lvl15 already.

I found that video but it only shows how to get into the room with the tilted walls, not how to align the portals for the ball. Oh well, I'll tinker with it some more.

I found that video but it only shows how to get into the room with the tilted walls, not how to align the portals for the ball. Oh well, I'll tinker with it some more.

Possible spoiler alert...not likely though

They don't actually tell you this but you need to pay attention to the angle the balls enter the portal...sometimes you have to let them cancel out, meaning, if you want it to come out straight, it can't go in your first portal at a 45degree angle....which means you need to let it hit ANOTHER 45 degree angle FIRST...the way I figured it out was to pay attention to the angles and fiddle around with it...another way is to work backwards from where you want it to go...

I loved the main game, but the advanced levels are tedious. Not "hard" tedious, just "couldn't you have put some more levels in instead of putting goo on the floor of the old ones?" tedious.

I loved the main game, but the advanced levels are tedious. Not "hard" tedious, just "couldn't you have put some more levels in instead of putting goo on the floor of the old ones?" tedious.

I found it was somewhat like that, I did them first. The challenges were more exciting because you have to find new, extremely creative ways imo.

One thing I noticed after playing them a long time, you start to see portals in real life, if you are watching tv or moving around you think, "Man I am using too many steps, or I'd put a portal right here and exit there."

After 4.1 hours I finished Portal, not the advance just the regular game. I loved the endiing, and hopefully we will get a sequel or something. I did get vertigo playing between lvl 12 to 17 last night. This was the first "FPS" that did it to me. Well off to playing Half-Life Ep. 2 (hopefully it will be just as fun!).

After starting Ep2 btw, I tried to jump off the waterfall and make myself a portal. I was kinda confused when it didn't appear, and even more confused when I died from falling damage. :D

Not sure how many camera's you need to displace, so just displace all that you can :p

33 for the total achievement. I was able to get the last one on the level where you have the transport that goes directly under a wall while you are on it (so you shoot a portal on the wall behind it and jump around the blocking wall). Not the best describing, but that is the level where I got the last camera and the achievement. I'm pretty sure I got all the possible cameras on every level before that, too.

I have a question, though. On the level with the companion cube (either the regular or bonus), how did you direct the energy ball to it's "socket" in the room where you cannot shoot portals? What I did was just hold the companion cube in front of me and angle it toward the socket...lol. I did that for both the regular and bonus one, and on the bonus one also did the same trick to get the other socket on the slanted wall (where the glass is blocking the spot where the energy ball would have been directed in the regular level).

I'm just curious how you guys did this. Videos would be great if you can. :) I find it really fun to see the interesting ways other people have solved the puzzles.

33 for the total achievement. I was able to get the last one on the level where you have the transport that goes directly under a wall while you are on it (so you shoot a portal on the wall behind it and jump around the blocking wall). Not the best describing, but that is the level where I got the last camera and the achievement. I'm pretty sure I got all the possible cameras on every level before that, too.

I have a question, though. On the level with the companion cube (either the regular or bonus), how did you direct the energy ball to it's "socket" in the room where you cannot shoot portals? What I did was just hold the companion cube in front of me and angle it toward the socket...lol. I did that for both the regular and bonus one, and on the bonus one also did the same trick to get the other socket on the slanted wall (where the glass is blocking the spot where the energy ball would have been directed in the regular level).

I'm just curious how you guys did this. Videos would be great if you can. :) I find it really fun to see the interesting ways other people have solved the puzzles.

i did that too. right pain in the ass in the advanced room.

for the one on the slanted wall, i used an energy ball and just kinda bounced it around with portals until i got it in.

Exactly what I did as well.

Is it weird that the Portal song has made it to my playlist and I just leisurely listen to it now? I feel kind of strange about it, but it makes me happy :)

I extracted and uploaded the entire Portal soundtrack from the GCF files. Included in it is the hit single, "Still Alive!" http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ICVIG610

Err...I don't know how, but the messenger sound for new mail is in the songs every now and again. I kept thinking I was hearing things cause I wasn't running messenger. Might be part of the game or when you converted them? Example: Portal Party Excort 02 at the 2:28 mark, was driving me nuts till I figured out it was the songs. Such relaxing music and then ding-dong.

Picked up the Orange Box Friday afternoon, and, finished Portal Saturday afternoon (not the bonus or advanced levels).

It's heaps of fun! And it quite straightforward so I think my wife may dig it too!
Can't wait for some custom levels, but I will miss the voice!

wow, just finished the standard game, and that was soooo much fun, and freaking HILARIOUS, I seriously almost wet myself during the final credits with the song.

Congratulations to the game developers on making a very fun, extremely creative and, overall awesome title.

I can't wait till we get some cool custom maps

Yep you just have to bounce it off the cube. Adv was a PITA, died a lot :p

Pecan Cake Recipie:

and I uploaded a clip of the credits at GameTrailers:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/116006.html
I found that pretty funny. I thought the game was pretty freaking clever. It has a sick sense of humor. The ending was well worth it although the game as a whole wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I really enjoyed those angled velocity jumps in the 18th level.

-------------8<--------------
Maybe you'll find someone else to help you
Maybe Black Mesa
That was a joke. HAHA fat chance!
-------------->8-------------

First ending that I enjoyed in a very long time.

Time to beat the bonus levels.

Anyone have, or know where the sound clips are posted. I want to play some of the voice clips to some of my co-workers and I am at work right now so I can't just go to my game directory and pull them

Oh, how about a Portal sound scheme for Windows?

Just pull up YouTube, lots of Portal Videos with GLaDOS's comments :D

Back