Possible HD: 160 GB Maxtor SATA 40$ no rebate.

VanFanel89

2[H]4U
Call your local staples and ask for item #561785. If they have it in stock verify the price is 39.50.

If all is correct, ask for them to hold it for you (they should, new policy and all) and haul ass.

39.50$ before taxes for a 160 GB interna SATA Maxtor drive. :D

beautiful price. and im in the market too. if only i didnt just paypal tormond for his 2005fpw id feel ok about getting this.

They had this up 2 months ago, except it was just an ATA drive. They had 4 in stock in one of the southern Chicago suburbs (forget which one, my friend got them for me). I think I may get another one!

Can anyone link to the actual harddrive this is? I tried using that number at staples site and get nothing. I'd like to see some specs.

If you click on "Order by part number" on staples.com and put in the number, it says it's been discontinued so you won't be able to get info off their site. Anyone pick one up?

Edit: it gives you the model number so I looked it up and Newegg has this on their site (from google cache, newegg doesn't have it listed anymore):

Specifications
Part #: L01M160

Capacity: 160 GB
Average Seek Time: 9.3 ms
Buffer Size: 8 MB
Rotational Speed: 7,200 RPM
Interface: Serial SATA 150
Form Factor: 3.5"
Features: With an 8MB cache - four times larger than that of ordinary 7200 RPM hard drives, the drive is up to 20% faster than regular hard drives. Equipped with a Serial SATA 150 interface and an ultra-quiet fluid dynamic bearing (FDB) motor, the drive combines blazing speed with ultra-quiet operation.
Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year

Hi everybody, this is my first post here. Here on Long Island (NY) we have the luxury (?) of having a lot of Staples stores around. I started calling around this morning. I called each of the following stores only to find out that none of them had this disk in stock:

Massapequa
Farmingdale
Bay Shore
North Babylon
Freeport
Hicksville

I was about to give up and decided to try one more: Carle Place. I gave the item number to the guy I was transferred to. He told me to hang on and put me on hold. About a minute later he got back on the line and said, "My assistant thinks we have one. I'm going to go and see if I can put my hands on it. If you give me your number I'll call you back." This guy was on the ball compared to some of the lunkheads I'd been talking to at the other stores!

The phone rang about 10 minutes later and he said, "We have one left. I had to pry it out of the tech guy's hands when he saw the price. I can hold it for you if you like."

EUREKA! :D

Bottom line: $42.91 after tax and NO REBATE hassle. Persistence pays off. Of course, it helps if you have a dozen stores to choose from all within a half-hour's drive.

On my way back I stopped at CompUSA and returned a Hitachi 160GB SATA drive I bought there 10 days ago for $99.99 with a $60 rebate. I hadn't gotten around to installing it yet so it was still fresh in the box. No problem at all. I'll do rebates if I have to but it's so much nicer to avoid the hassle if you can. Besides, I don't like Hitachi hard drives anyway. I'm much happier with the Maxtor.

Just a heads up : Staples retail drives usually carry 1 year warranty from the time they SHIP from maxtor.

Interesting. I'll have to check that out. These are now officially "discontinued" items at Staples so they might have been sitting around on the shelf for months.

Just bought out Colorado Springs :)

They had 3 in stock... Until I told the guy about it, when he snagged one for himself. Damned employee. Anywho, I've got two of them. I'm now up to 805.9GB total storage space in one box... Plus a couple 40GB-ers left over from the olden days. And I've still got a free port on my mobo... Hrm.

TeeJayHoward said:
Just bought out Colorado Springs :)

They had 3 in stock... Until I told the guy about it, when he snagged one for himself. Damned employee. Anywho, I've got two of them. I'm now up to 805.9GB total storage space in one box... Plus a couple 40GB-ers left over from the olden days. And I've still got a free port on my mobo... Hrm.

Rule of thumb at staples - if we have two in stock, it means we have one in stock. :p

i called a bunch of staples in my area(medowlands in nj) andi couldn't snag one. I was told one store has them but they are 99 dollars, but the day before i was told they were 99 dollars i was told they were 40 dollars so who knows. good luck to anyone trying to find one.

mrkram said:
i called a bunch of staples in my area(medowlands in nj) andi couldn't snag one. I was told one store has them but they are 99 dollars, but the day before i was told they were 99 dollars i was told they were 40 dollars so who knows. good luck to anyone trying to find one.

The employees probably saw the price and told you they were 99 so they could keep it for themselves :p.

i got one with no problem in arlington, va the employees had no idea what was going on i might go get some more today if anybody's interested

bunnytrigger said:
is it out of stock?? i jsut called and they seemd to have taken it off teh shelves :(

they are discontinued, however some stores still have a bunch of those in stock

Just called the staples in Ocala FL and had a lady tell me they had one in stock and give me the 39.50 price when my cell phone cut out. I call back, and now no one's ever heard of these things :(

If anyone wants to part with one of their extras for a small premium, shoot me a PM.

Just picked up the last one at the Falls Church store in NOVA. I checked the DC and Arlington stores first (Arlington sold their last one today), none had any in stock. Getting the one from the Falls Church store was a PITA. FWIW, I was told the Maryland stores (New Carolton, Wheaton) still had some in stock.

Getting ready to install it now, thanks to the original poster for the heads up on a hot deal. You have good karma coming to you!

Bought the last two at Campbell, CA.. woot. i called yesterday and the dude lied to me saying that they didn't have any in stocked.. and that san jose had one.. so i called san jose and they told me campbell had 2.. That bastard.. i want to find out who he is so i can key his car.. anyways i'm pretty happy.. 320gb for 86 bucks damn hell of a deal

hmm sounds like going to the store is the best method as alot of people end up getting lucky, tomorrow ill head out and see if i can't find a couple of these!

GisMO said:
Bought the last two at Campbell, CA.. woot. i called yesterday and the dude lied to me saying that they didn't have any in stocked.. and that san jose had one.. so i called san jose and they told me campbell had 2.. That bastard.. i want to find out who he is so i can key his car.. anyways i'm pretty happy.. 320gb for 86 bucks damn hell of a deal

Don't jump to conclusions. We have in our store's inventory 3 Brother printers... only they are no existant in the store. We have yet to find them, altough the warehouse and the inventory system insist it's here. He may not have been able to find it, but I guess the other guy could.

VanFanel89 said:
Don't jump to conclusions. We have in our store's inventory 3 Brother printers... only they are no existant in the store. We have yet to find them, altough the warehouse and the inventory system insist it's here. He may not have been able to find it, but I guess the other guy could.

the funny thing is.. i swear i spoke with the same guy last night.. the same asian guy.. i remember his accent clearly and he spoke with the same jitter today..

GisMO said:
the funny thing is.. i swear i spoke with the same guy last night.. the same asian guy.. i remember his accent clearly and he spoke with the same jitter today..

Never know - could have looked and then found it. Happened to me once, and after I hung up and went to the floor I realized that HOLY CRAP HERE'S THAT THINGAMAJINGIE!

VanFanel89 said:
Never know - could have looked and then found it. Happened to me once, and after I hung up and went to the floor I realized that HOLY CRAP HERE'S THAT THINGAMAJINGIE!

yah teh funny thing is... he disapeared for like 10-15 mins.. he told me he looked all over clearance, in the back, shelves.. then he went and took the initiative to look in computer and find other places... so he tells me that theres on in stock, in the san jose area.. but the staples in san jose is closed.. so today i call them in the morning and they tell me that they have two in stock @ campbell, so i call campbell back and the same guy answers and tells me yeh we have two.. I'm like WTF? :confused: :mad: i didn't yell at him, i was kind of worried that he'll get his friends and sell that shit before i even get a chance to buy it. I guess he knew i caught on to him otherwise his as would have been fired by a angry customer :me:.. anyways i'm happy, i got a raid setup so it was a very very good deal. Thanks again for pointing this out. Nice deal :D

Back