Possible OCZ 520w ModStream Meltdown

xerus`

[H]ard|Gawd
Gotta make this quick because my computer might be turning off against my will in the next few minutes!

I've been using a 520w modstream that is at least a couple years old now, and my computer is starting to experience some power related issues today...

My computer!
Mother Board: Asus p5q Deluxe
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (at 3.0ghz)
RAM: OCZ Reaper (OCZRPR800C42G)
Video Card: 8800GTS 640mb
Harddrives: 4!
Floppy: Check
DVD Drive: Check

My computer has been off for about 10 days, and I returned to it and it seemed fine for 24 hours or so. After that, while I was standing away from the computer, it restarted. I have no idea why it did such a thing, what a silly thing for a computer to do! So then the looming feeling of dread washed over me. Now in a state of paranoia, I wondered what could be wrong. A few hours went by of no issues, but as I stepped into the bathroom to brush my teeth, I came back and my computer was completely shut down. I turned it back on, and now I feel like I'm just waiting for it to shut down again.

So long story short, computer is turning off or restarting unexpectedly at intervals of 3 to 4 hours.

At this point, I am not 100% certain if the power supply is the culprit, but I've had some folk tell me that the 520w may not be enough to handle the goods of my current system, and that there is nasty ripple of sorts eating away at my hardware, or something to that effect. So, any advice or support is appreciated through these difficult times.

520W would be plenty for your system, but you're using an old PSU based on an old design, and there's a decent chance that after capacitor aging and general wear and tear, it's just not able to handle your system any more. The only way to determine whether or not that is the case would be to try a newer PSU in your system and see whether or not that issue still occurs.

the problem cold also be that ram IMO swap sticks/memtest please

Back