possible proc problem?

Cigolon

Gawd
i'm building a socket 754 athlon 3000+ on a gigabyte GA-K8U motherboard.
i've got it breadboarded out right now and the power is hooked up. i've kept it as barebones as possible with only the one dimm of ram in it and no ide or agp card in it for video.

when i hit the power, the fan gives a little spin but nothing else. the power is going through the mother board because i can see the ram led on the motherboard come on. the motherboard has more than enough power, its a 450w ps.

is it possible that its the processor or related in any way to it. i really need to figure this out.

thats what i thought too. it did the same thing with the same motherboard before i RMA'd it about two weeks ago. when i got it this time and it happened again, my only thought was "there is something else wrong". problem is, i'm running out of ideas. the chances of me getting another bad motherboard is next to tiny- but possible. so i'm trying to figure out if its possible its the processor.

i'm really running out of ideas of how to test it and figure out whats wrong. its a diff socket than my other computers, so nothing that way. the ram isn't the problem- i was able to test that.

try clearing the bios and throwing a video card in, attached to a monitor?

tried it, still nothing. i can't get this thing to spin on for the life of me, much less give out video. at this point, i'd sell my first born for the wizzing sound of the fan.

it doesn't seem likely that its a processor issue to me, but i wanted to post in here and get someones take anyway. i know different people visit different sections of the forums, so i figured i'd toss this in here. do you think there is any chance its the processor, or do you feel confident its the MB

hmm... well usually the mobo will remain powered for a few seconds, even without a cpu in

have you:

1. changed the PSU?
2. rewired everything
3. ran a minimal config: 1 DIMM (try all that you have) + CPU + VC
4. taken the mobo out of the case to check for shorts?
5. tried to run the mobo outside of the case, say on a piece of cardboard?
6. cleared the CMOS and reseated the jumper in the correct position?
7. made sure that if you did not reseat the jumper in 6. you are aware of a fried CMOS?
8. tried another CPU?
9. tried the other components on a different mobo?

Back