Possible rad mounting position, thoughts?

I was wondering if it would be possible to mount a rad to the top of the case by simply drilling holes in the top and threading through either long screws or spacers. This would allow the rad to access fresh air, and remove a heat source from within the case. Has anybody seen this done? I'd like to know what thoughts you have.

The reason for doing this is that I need to upgrade my passive water cooling solution and I don't have any tools whatsoever, and am on a limited budget, this option would only require buying a cheap electric drill for the holes.

Thoughts?

Dave

i think you would be better off picking up some cheep fan grills and a hole saw and go to work on the top of the case

I think the pictures in my thread and broken by now, but that's exactly what I did and I highly recommend it.

Check out Swiftech's Radbox, it makes it easier than DYI.

I've seen just that done many times.

If you don't mind the way it looks (personally I don't care for it) there is no reason it won't work.
Bleeding air from the system might take some special care...rads are notorious bubble traps and yours would be the highest point in the loop...but once bled it'll be fine.

sprocket said:
Bleeding air from the system might take some special care...rads are notorious bubble traps and yours would be the highest point in the loop...but once bled it'll be fine.
If you have a good pump the sheer flowrate will force the air out of the radiator.

Back