Possible to add a Velociraptor to an Ipod?

TheBluePill

2[H]4U
Does the Ipod Classic take SATA interface Drives? does the 12v kill a potential install?

its too big for starters, its not a laptop style 2.5in disk, its enterprise style which is thicker. secondly a mp3 player would not benefit from a 10,000k mechanical drive.

Screw the Velociraptor... get 2 1inch Hitachi (at least I think its HItachi) drives and toss them in a Raid0, put linux on your MP3 player, hook up blue tooth for a Qwerty keyboard and look super freaking awesome typing away AND listening to music.

Screw the Velociraptor... get 2 1inch Hitachi (at least I think its HItachi) drives and toss them in a Raid0, put linux on your MP3 player, hook up blue tooth for a Qwerty keyboard and look super freaking awesome typing away AND listening to music.

That would actually be quite cool.

Put some straps around it... attach it to your wrist and BAM: Coolest wrist watch ever

It would also be the largest, but still, THE COOLEST*

* Coolest in terms of awesome factor, actual temperatures may vary. Subject to state law, coupon may not be combined with another offer

Random Seek times killing you when your listening to mp3's huh?

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Random Seek times killing you when your listening to mp3's huh?

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Yea..........

The iPods don't use SATA and they don't use 2.5" drives, they use custom 1.8" IDE drives. I suppose you could mod the original iPod with a 2.5" drive using a custom case and adapter but you'd lose most of your battery life and I doubt the firmware would see it.

Well I am going to build a badass Raptorfied Ipod, with bluetooth and put some straps on that thang!

Anyone else want me to make me on?

I'ma put Windows ME on is, and I'll call it the
CRAZY FAST DINOSAUR MEPOD!

Trying to take this question serious, I'd call it "Possible to add an Ipod to a Velociraptor?

a) Power Requirements. According to the label, the VR needs 5V plus 12V. You'd have to add a battery pack or DC/DC converter.

b) Interface

If it's an older iPOD, it uses a custom PATA interface. Then you'd have to wire the socket from the iPOD to a PATA to SATA converter. But, the old iPOD s.a.h. does not support 28bit LBA, if it would work, you'd be stuck with 128GB. But this will reduce seek time :)

If it's a recent model, it uses ZIF connector. Big headache. I don't think that there is a standard converter from ZIF/ATA to anything currently available in retail stores. But as the new iPODs are available at 160GB, it has support for 28bit LBA. So it might be worth getting the specification of the new 160GB Toshi drive. What I know for sure is that there are already external enclosures for 1.8" ZIF to USB available...

Maybe you could add one to a Creative Nomad jukebox...
jukebox.jpg

Maybe you could add one to a Creative Nomad jukebox...
jukebox.jpg

That is also limited by the 137GB barrier or whatever BUT it is a standard laptop IDE drive so a sata to ide converter could work assuming you could somehow fit it along with a 5v dc to 12v dc converter as well.

im adding raptor drives to everything...

my toaster.... find the jam faster

microwave.... microwaves faster

blender.... it blends

raptorize everything!!!!! w/ straps

careful, if you put the Vraptor in the ipod, you may not have as much room to install your 9800gtx video card for its 2" LCD screen :rolleyes:

im glad im not the only one who immediately thought of the 1.8" problem.

haha, I would laugh if the momentum of the seeking head throws your ipod out of your hand

Heh. You could shoot it at people!!

Velociraptor drives. No longer allowed on U.S. airlines.

Lol made my day.. slide the top of the drive cover open, & drop nerds or skittles on the 10,000rpm platters to be launched @ sub-light speed velocities :cool:

It would end up being an arm-mounted launcher, aka "I Come In Peace"-style shooting out the platters like those discs the bad guy had. Come to think of it... they were magnetized to some degree... :D

"Say hello to my little friend, Mr. Slice-And-Dice..."

For those that haven't seen this cult classic sci-fi flick, check out the trailer at YouTube and you'll understand better (at about 8-10 seconds into the clip and other times, hard to miss... no pun intended):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8F92p1ept0

I wonder if you could make a sweet Halloween costume using like 3 or 4 seeking heads flying back and fourth on each hand like Wolverine claws. That would NOT mix well with drinking

Back