possible upgrade to more current i5 system...ddr3 or ddr4?

Satyrist

Gawd
I've currently got a phenom II 940 black w/4gb ddr2...It is starting to show its age with some things, particularly some multitasking and gaming. It has held up pretty well considering its 5 years old more or less.

I've considered going the i5 route, just not so sure about a board at the moment...Wonder if it's better to go ddr3 or ddr4? Ddr3 hasn't budged all that much pricewise the past couple of years, but it's seemed that ddr 4 has some early growing pains for early adopters.

Is it worth it to wait a little longer for the ddr 4 bugs to be worked out, or stick with a ddr 3 solution?

thx

DDR4 works from for damn near everyone not trying to use XMP profiles. The people that did have issues have found a lot of fixes through BIOS updates. If you are worried about it, just get the RAM you want and run at default speeds which if often still going to be faster than DDR3. There really is no DDR3 solution if you were looking at Skylake.

DDR4 is relatively problem free, as long as you stick with whatever has been added to the compatibility list for whatever motherboard you use. But I wouldn't let DDR4 be the reason for you avoiding x99/z170 platforms, if you otherwise wanting to go one of those routes. And like the post above me said, as long as you are using the rated XMP speed, you aren't likely to run into any real problems.

This. Just make sure you get a quality board that list supports 3500+ MTs or whatever is needed for the RAM you buy.

I haven't had an issue and I am even using ECC RDDIMMs and those would be more likely to have compatibility issues.

I would get hwatever board has the features and cPU you need and meets your budget. If thats Z170 awesome. If thats Z97 awesome. Just get the CPU and features that fit your needs and your budget.

I'd likely be getting GSkill modules...Not sure I care for the tall-ass heatsinks on them though.

Sorta odd that there only seems to be like 4 motherboard makers out there these days...Remember when there were many more.

Is it generally better to get 2 sticks as opposed to 4, regarding memory?

I'd likely be getting GSkill modules...Not sure I care for the tall-ass heatsinks on them though.

Sorta odd that there only seems to be like 4 motherboard makers out there these days...Remember when there were many more.

Is it generally better to get 2 sticks as opposed to 4, regarding memory?

Yes do 2 sticks instead of 4.

Yes do 2 sticks instead of 4.

I would say that the 2 vs 4 sticks depends on your platform, z170 vs x99. The skylake or 1151 stuff is only dual channel so get 2 sticks (Also ddr4 is up to 16gb per stick), which is nice for itx builds. As for the x99 or Haswell E / socket 2011v3 these guys can do quad channel memory so in theory 4 sticks would be better.

IMHO the x99 platform does offer a better value proposition at the moment in that you can get a 6 core chip 5830k for about the price of the 6700k, but it really depends on if you need more cores or faster cores.

I would say that the 2 vs 4 sticks depends on your platform, z170 vs x99. The skylake or 1151 stuff is only dual channel so get 2 sticks (Also ddr4 is up to 16gb per stick), which is nice for itx builds. As for the x99 or Haswell E / socket 2011v3 these guys can do quad channel memory so in theory 4 sticks would be better.

IMHO the x99 platform does offer a better value proposition at the moment in that you can get a 6 core chip 5830k for about the price of the 6700k, but it really depends on if you need more cores or faster cores.

He's upgrading to a Core i5 system. That should tell you all you need to know about his platform and budget. Next time read the OP :D

2x8GB DDR4 should last you for many years. There are no DDR4 "bugs" with current z170 motherboards, since Haswell-E (x99) already worked those out for us a year ago.

That is one of the benefits of going z170 over x99: you get to deal with less cutting-edge compatibility issues. That, and the z170 motherboards tend to sell an order of magnitude more than x99, so you get a lot more users reporting bugs (the faster they are reported and recreated, the faster they can be fixed).

favorite z170 board?

Nobody ever feels they have enough memory anymore...I'd almost just as soon say max to 32 and don't look back; Photo editing and video editing would make use of it, certainly.

Thx

Back