Post a screenshot of your linux!

Kinda got the idea from MoparX ;)

screenshotfeb26-06.jpg

Just got Xgl/Compiz working on my Ubuntu 5.10 Install...and got my new watercooling setup going...its pretty sexy....so here is a messy screenshot of alot of stuff running at once (although I am usually more of a minimalist, it is just too fun to play with Xgl/compiz!)

I have a few other random screenshots you can check out in my image gallery:
http://images.pyrospheric.net/v/mycompsnet/screenshots/unixsshots/

Click the pic for Fullsize (much higher quality)

I had a feeling I am going to try fluxbox and I will like it....

and I did...long live wmaker :(

fluxbox2-mar2006.jpg

Screenshot-1.png

my turn to play :D

Fedora Core 4, GNOME, Openoffice.org, Firefox (still the version that came with FC4), and mainly all the programming / productivity stuff that came with the FC4 DVD

What's that WM called? I want/need it.

I'd take a screenshot, but it's not working properly right now :(

Whats the leading point of this XGL cube desktop management software, is the cube supposed to make it more efficient or is it just "Eye Candy".

Actually, I would put it the other way around (layering the X server ontop of OpenGL).

locutus24 said:
Whats the leading point of this XGL cube desktop management software, is the cube supposed to make it more efficient or is it just "Eye Candy".

it is actually pretty good.
You know the virtual desktops, you click a virtual-desktop on the taskbar and it switches to it.

Now imagine instead of having to do that you hold the mouse down on the desktop and just drag it, and the DESKTOP FOLLOWS!!!!!

Sure its pointless eyecandy (some of the extension that Xgl provide I actuallt find VERY useful!!!, this is quite nice tho).

Plus Linux has it now and Windows doesn't

at the moment it is pretty ALPHA (my gentoo Xgl overlay gets a major update every day) and it is extreamly slow in section, it relys on alot of MESA to do the rendering. IE it is something like 90% software rendered, the aim of course is to get it all into the hardware (that nice GFX card you have actually doing something when not playing games - a lower spec then what you would need for Vista as well BTW).

Sure it is eye-cand atm, but the devs have to play with something until CORE desktop tech catches up. The first things to are CAIRO that will trasform the GNOME desktop from a RASTER to a VECTOR desktop freeing up RAM and CPU time (offloading to GPU) so yr CPU does more of what you want

THIS!!! is what I am waiting for!!!! the next GTK was a bit unstable for GTK to release (and GNOME to try to really use) so GNOME-2.16 (out in 6months) should really start having some fantastic GRPHICS!!!! for the last 2 releases they have concentrated on stability,RAM,CPU and interface, now things get interesting

eeyrjmr said:
Now imagine instead of having to do that you hold the mouse down on the desktop and just drag it, and the DESKTOP FOLLOWS!!!!!
I'd rather just hit a key combination and have it switch instantly...No need to go for the mouse.

[H]EMI_426 said:
I'd rather just hit a key combination and have it switch instantly...No need to go for the mouse.

and you still have that choice (and the choice not to even have it on yr system)

However, as a test-bench it is exciting what can be done! effectively taking the desktop and haning it to the GFX card (be it via a software MESA layer atm, hardware OpenGL layer soon)

The main thing is moving to a vector desktop CAIRO.

You want to draw a window. do you :

a) store in memory "pixel BLACK here,, pixel BLACK here,..." and feed it to the GFX card (noting GFX cards are not good at 2D RASTER anymore"

or do you

b) go: start point A, end point B, colour BLACK, thickness 5 and let the GFX card work out whats inbetween

I use my comp for simulation stuff (Matlab, PYTHON with silly-big arrays) the more CPU time and RAM I can get my hands on the Better. Sure at the moment Xgl is just a bit of fun, but CAIRO...

just my work workstation:
RHEL ES4 on a Precision 330, I like having the same OS as my servers, I'd rather experiment on it first.
work_linuxdesktop.png

desktop17sg.jpg

Standard KDE running in Gentoo. My ubuntu desktop is largely uninteresting comparatively.

Running dual monitors (AL2416wd + 21" trinitron).

fastfood15 said:
Thats not actually OSX is it? I dont know the possibilities of hacking. :p
It is indeed actual OSX for Intel. http://osx86project.org/ has some good info about getting it working...

I am running 10.4.5, and as soon as the new MacVidia driver comes out, I will probably be using it as my primary OS (Ubuntu Dapper right now), since in its current state, there is no quartz 3d acceleration. bah.

Sasaki_Kojiro said:
Well here is my new desktop: Ubuntu6.06 E17 w/animated desktop (the speaker cones move)
thats hot -- i might have to fire up E17 on my ubuntu machine :D

ubuntu-xgl.png

ubuntu dapper drake with xgl and compiz, hence the wobbly window, and the opaque windows. and the wide pic is due to dual monitors

and on my slower machine, xubuntu 6.06 with xgl. running.

xubuntu.png

both machines are connected via synergy, so its kinda like a triple monitor setup across three screens.

I got a new toy to play with...Dell 2007fpw :D

click for fullsize

I am running Ubuntu 6.06, on a Dual opteron 246 system, with a viewsonic vx2025wm and the aforementioned dell 2007fpw for a display

Back