Post issues...need help

{EB}NuTSymPToM{EB}

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all. I posted not that long ago about issues I'm having with my new pc.

Asus P5N32-E SLI
Intel E6750
EVGA 8800GT
Corsair Dominator 2x 1gb pc2 8500
Seagate SATA HD
Lite-On DVDRW, DVD
700watt Thermaltake Toughpower psu

It ran perfectly for about 1.5 weeks from the moment I built it until I powered it on one morning and the fans spun up and stopped after ~30 seconds.

I did lots of research and asked questions and decided it was most likely my motherboard. Even taking it down to PSU/CPU/MOBO I would get no beeps saying I had no memory. Apparently many people have issues with this board so I thought I was just another dissatisfied customer. I RMA'd it just installed the new one and I have the same issues. No post beep, no video, nada. Fans and drives just spin.

I didn't have an extra PSU powerful enough to try and I'm immediately regretting not going out and buying one just to test with. My question is this: If the PSU is faulty will there be no post beeps? I also don't have another CPU to test...if the CPU was faulty or fried wouldn't the computer still try to post?

I'm going to pick up a PSU after work tomorrow I think but I'm just curious if a dead PSU could be to blame.

No post beep, no video, nada. Fans and drives just spin.

You're shorting out my friend. You need to make sure all extra motherboard standoffs are removed or screwed in, otherwise a short can easily happen

When my first P5N32-E SLI crapped out (maybe) and I was testing I assembled it outside the case to check for shorts. It wouldn't post outside the case either.

I haven't assembled it outside the case with the new board because I'm honestly fed up right now.

Could you answer my end questions re: dead psu or cpu = no post beeps

Could you answer my end questions re: dead psu or cpu = no post beeps

If the PC doesnt power up for long enough, it wont get a chance to give beeps.
It could be a power fault on anything including PSU.
You may be really unlucky and have had 2 faulty motherboards but best not consider that yet.

When I put together the PC with the new mobo I let it run for ~5 minutes before I powered it down manually. It had all day to boot. I'm wondering if the PSU could be borked such that it will spin fans and drives but not actually boot the computer as a whole.

If a different PSU doesn't work I'm going to RMA my CPU too just in case it somehow went down with the motherboard. Either way I'm irritated as hell and I know I'll spend a few hundred $$ on parts just to figure out whats wrong.

I misread your earlier post, in that your PC IS powered up long enough to give beeps.
It is strange that it stays powered up for 30 seconds or so, its not immediately obvious whats wrong.

Check your CMOS jumper is in the right position.
If in the wrong position, I have seen similar behaviour.

There is a way of hooking 2 PSU's up if you are willing to try.
Use your current one for the graphics card + hard drives and the other to power the motherboard.
The PSU connected to the graphics card will need powering up by shorting the green wire to black on its big motherboard connector and leaving it shorted.
You can test if this works by trying it before plugging it in. There is no danger of shock.

Power up both PSUs within a second of each other, graphics card one first.
See if you can get any life.
If this works, you need a better PSU.

The CMOS jumper is not the issue. On the old board I tried popping out the battery and resetting the CMOS overnight...it stayed on longer but never posted.

I'm picking up a Rocketfish 700w (actually a Huntkey 650w) from WorstBuy on the way home to test with. If it works I'll send my Thermaltake back to Newegg and probably keep the Rocketfish to test with in the future since I'll get it cheap from a friend who works there and order the Corsair PSU that everyone here recommends so much.

Well the new PSU didn't work.

I guess its either my cpu or I got a second bad mobo...I'm going to see if newegg won't let me exchange my 680i board for a p35 and RMA the cpu just to be sure.

Still no beeps, still no video. If the cpu were dead would I get no post beeps at all? I just don't get it.

Does anyone think I should RMA anything besides the mobo and cpu?

A new PSU didn't help and I have no way of knowing if the there might be something wrong with the ram or video cards since I get no post beep. I'm going on vacation next week and by the time I'm back the RMA period will be up. I need to send back whatever is going to be sent back before I leave or I'm boned.

Back