Post your 6800 GT OC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a BFG 6800 GT OC and using the coolbits hack my card was "optimized" to 435 MHz Core, 1.13 GHz Mem.
My box is:
A64 3200+
1 GB Corsair value RAM
200 GB WD w/8Mem
Audigy 2
Asus k8N-E deluxe
Cooler Master Case (the old falcon nw case)
It idles at 60-65C and goes up to about 75-80C during Far Cry.

I question alot of these overclocks. I wonder if I tested the same card if I'd find artifacting and they wouldn't...for example, if you look closely at the turtle shell in 2003 run in test 4 at least 2x in a row, that is the ONLY area I see artifacting in...very briefly with a flicker. The whole rest of the demo runs fine. But I brought down my overclock to reflect a totally artifact free state.

I wonder if other people are being as rigorous. Just a thought. My final overclock is 415/1100, though I could go higher on the memory there isn't much point to doing so.

BFG 6800 GT OC (water cooled) + Arctic Silver Ceramique

400/1100 so far. I haven't tried for more yet. Idles at 46c & tops out at 55-59c depending on the 3D App.

Great card.

2004-07-23-18-53-10-0171.jpg

oozish said:
I question alot of these overclocks. I wonder if I tested the same card if I'd find artifacting and they wouldn't...for example, if you look closely at the turtle shell in 2003 run in test 4 at least 2x in a row, that is the ONLY area I see artifacting in...very briefly with a flicker. The whole rest of the demo runs fine. But I brought down my overclock to reflect a totally artifact free state.

I wonder if other people are being as rigorous. Just a thought. My final overclock is 415/1100, though I could go higher on the memory there isn't much point to doing so.

I think the reason most people get these high OC's is cuz they're using watercooling. I, for one, is doing so and I'm hitting 424/1150 w/o any artifacts in 3DMark03 and games.

It also has sth to do with luck just like how some P4's are better OC'ers than others.

Juice said:
How far do you think the GT will go if it were vapochilled?

Not much at all :) They have problem when temp of core goes below 25c. Defaults to safety zone.

jinu117 said:
Core : 430, memory: 1150 eVga. Looking forawrd to volt modding :)

Core: 445, memory; 1150 eVGA. finally did bios volt modding and clock modding so that I don't have to bother with coolbits. This is 24/7 setup (however, I haven't got the 7 part down yet ;P)

3dmark 2003: 13111 :)

I'm sure most of these are not water cooled because i can get 433 core 1.13 mem on stock cooling. Water cooling would get you about 450 core 1.2 mem which is the clock of an ultra extreme :D

DarkT609 said:
I'm sure most of these are not water cooled because i can get 433 core 1.13 mem on stock cooling. Water cooling would get you about 450 core 1.2 mem which is the clock of an ultra extreme :D

Watercooling probably won't get any more memory speed :p Unless... you H2O'd that memory...

I must (maybe) be one of the luckiest on here. my pny auto detected at 146 & 1.19 I've been playing far cry and no crashes or glitches that I don't get even at the stock speed.

I get some crappy frame rates of 19-20 when outside and spin around (1280x1024 details except shadows maxed). I've got a amd xp @2.2hz and a gig 'o ram. However even before I overclocked it, inside buildings/ship/etc all the textures are very bright and colorful. The game looked and ran better on my 9800XT @1024x768. I also see translucent boxes around plants when underwater, shadows are big black squares on medium shadow details. Maybe I should post this in troubleshooting somewhere.

So now I gotta decide if to return it and get a x800xt or keep this card for doom 3.

update: insalled the 1.1 patch (doh!) and now it works great!

jinu117:

There is a waterblock that I saw for sale that covered both the gpu and memory, but I forget what it was called. It was on and Ultra Extreme but it should fit a GT. Normally, there is not a memory h2o block so just the core would be higher.

jinu117 said:
Not much at all :) They have problem when temp of core goes below 25c. Defaults to safety zone.

there is a modded BIOS that addresses this problem.

6800 GPU is not stressed by current games. Wait until Doom3 or get Far Cry 1.2 I had mild OC on my 6800gt which ran trouble free in all games I could through at it, incl. Far Cry 1.1, had no artifacting, no slow-downs. However, in Far Cry 1.2 with sm3.0 enabled, core started to artifact - textures were flickering and I had to drop OC by 20mhz to get rid of it. Same high oc works just fine in any other game, dx9 or ogl. I believe Carmack said that Doom3 is not gonna like oc'ing 'cause it's gonna stress the hardware to the extreme. If u gonna play Doom3 and all other great games, prepare to drop ur oc a little.

DarkT609 said:
jinu117:

There is a waterblock that I saw for sale that covered both the gpu and memory, but I forget what it was called. It was on and Ultra Extreme but it should fit a GT. Normally, there is not a memory h2o block so just the core would be higher.

Fully aware of it... but at close to $100 block... :p

On the eVGA 6800GT Stock in a case with 2 80mm front intake, 2 80mm rear outtake, and 1 80mm side intake over the card.
MAX: 425/1.16
REG: 420/1.14

Highest stable I can seem to get on my evga GT is

414 core
1090 memory

I was really hoping for 420/1100. I've just got some generic crap ram in this system, do you think this could be limiting me or would that have no impact on a GPU OC?

jinu117 said:
Watercooling probably won't get any more memory speed :p Unless... you H2O'd that memory...

You would need two molex connectors to achieve 450core I believe

Man, I can't wait until I get my s939 3500, K8N-neo 2 and find an eVGA 6800 GT in stock!!!

Also, what does the video card have to do with divx? Isn't all video decoding done by the cpu? I didn't think that anything short of mpeg2 on some cards was still hardware?

I had quite a snag with my OC, I hit 400/1100 which I am happy with, but as an overclocking enthusiast I always want more. I was wondering what could have caused this and the only thing that I can think of is that maybe there isn't enough juice hittin the card. So when I get home I think I'll try giving it, it's own dedicated cable. I have a 550W Antec TruePower and the 12V and 5V rails stay solid at all times. Oh well I just got my Vantec Spectrum card in so at least it will be cooler! (no pun intended)

i have a antec sl350 power supply... and my athlon xp is running at 1.7 v rite now (OC'ed) but i only have one hard drive, a cdrom, and 2x120mm fans in there... do yuo think il be ok for overclocking the 6800GT?

mithong said:
i have a antec sl350 power supply... and my athlon xp is running at 1.7 v rite now (OC'ed) but i only have one hard drive, a cdrom, and 2x120mm fans in there... do yuo think il be ok for overclocking the 6800GT?

Dunno, monitor your rails and see how they are doing, if they are stable and within the 5% limits I'd say give it a shot, if not, I wouldn't attempt it.

the video stream is supposed to look much better when hardware-accelerated. i think ati's pixel shaders can make it look nicer. i just got the 9800xt and it ain't nothing to write home about though... imho. acceleration vs non-accelerated i can't tell the diff... so all in all it doesn't make a diff.

blbrchnk said:
I had quite a snag with my OC, I hit 400/1100 which I am happy with, but as an overclocking enthusiast I always want more. I was wondering what could have caused this and the only thing that I can think of is that maybe there isn't enough juice hittin the card. So when I get home I think I'll try giving it, it's own dedicated cable. I have a 550W Antec TruePower and the 12V and 5V rails stay solid at all times. Oh well I just got my Vantec Spectrum card in so at least it will be cooler! (no pun intended)
Having a dedicated power line running to the vid card is one of the MINIMUM requirements listed on the box of my eVGA GT.

blbrchnk said:
Dunno, monitor your rails and see how they are doing, if they are stable and within the 5% limits I'd say give it a shot, if not, I wouldn't attempt it.

how do i monitor the rails and how do i know wha the limit is?

blbrchnk said:

I would say you should be fine.

joemama said:
Having a dedicated power line running to the vid card is one of the MINIMUM requirements listed on the box of my eVGA GT.

There is no reason for this except for nVidia playing it safe. Having a small load on the same molex line as your video card shouldn't do anything. Remember that most power supplies have only one 12v rail. So no matter where that power goes, be it down one molex or split up between 10, it shouldn't matter. Now I wouldn't want some 30A going down one line, but having a HD on the same line shouldn't effect it.

These cards draw serious power , you realy should have it on a stand alone power feed.

mithong said:
how do i monitor the rails and how do i know wha the limit is?

try a program like motherboard monitor, and go into the high/low section as lon gas the numbers aren't fluctuating and they are within 5% of the spec (i.e. 12V rail between 11.4-12.6V) you should be fine.

Reflex: I know that the reason is just to play it safe, and to try not to have all your current running through one cable, but that is also kinda why I wanna try it. I have a good bit of stuff in my comp, from 3 ccfl's to 9 80mm fans and 4 120 mm's, to 5 HDD's and many other goodies I am using up quite a bit of power. Who knows it may not help at all. :confused:

jacuzz1 said:
These cards draw serious power , you realy should have it on a stand alone power feed.

Hey jacuzz1, I see that you gave up on gateway as well, thanks for the info a couple months ago though. :D

blbrchnk said:
Reflex: I know that the reason is just to play it safe, and to try not to have all your current running through one cable, but that is also kinda why I wanna try it. I have a good bit of stuff in my comp, from 3 ccfl's to 9 80mm fans and 4 120 mm's, to 5 HDD's and many other goodies I am using up quite a bit of power. Who knows it may not help at all. :confused:

Well I would say your still fine. CCFL and HD don't pull too much power, I would say no more than 50W. The fans may be a bit of a draw, but even with the highest power fans I would say no more than 100W. Adding up the rest of what you have I would still say your well within the limit of that 550W powe supply. Plus those Antec power supplies are known for giving clean power.

wahhh... I just got my EVGA 6800GT, and I cant even get 370/1100 out of it. And thats with a spanky new 550W power supply.

spite said:
wahhh... I just got my EVGA 6800GT, and I cant even get 370/1100 out of it. And thats with a spanky new 550W power supply.

Hot damn that blows. You gonna RMA it? And just to pre-emt those moral-high-road-shafts-me fuckers, OCability IS a purchasing factor. I sure as hell know that if my GT didn't do what she does I'd have RMAed her and picked up an Ultra.

reflex33 said:
Well I would say your still fine. CCFL and HD don't pull too much power, I would say no more than 50W. The fans may be a bit of a draw, but even with the highest power fans I would say no more than 100W. Adding up the rest of what you have I would still say your well within the limit of that 550W powe supply. Plus those Antec power supplies are known for giving clean power.

Definately, and I tried it out, absolutely no difference whatsoever Oh well, I was actually just waiting to do the step up to the Ultra card from evga when they become available anyways. Hopefully that will be a better OC'er

Anyone try new Nvidia driver 61.77? Funny thing was once I enable coolbits and use manual overclocking-Detect Optimal Frequencies. It took quite awhile for testing to finish, but the results were Core-600 Memory-1400. Of course I didn't want to blow up my XPC so I just back it down to 400/1.1. Anyone have the same experience? Right now my CPU is a bottleneck, 2.4 Northwood. If I overclock the CPU the system crashes. Temp at idle-60 Temp at load 70s. for GPU

I just installed my new eVGA 6800 GT.

I used the 61.77 drivers to start with.

My best OC is 428/1150.

jonavin said:
Anyone try new Nvidia driver 61.77? Funny thing was once I enable coolbits and use manual overclocking-Detect Optimal Frequencies. It took quite awhile for testing to finish, but the results were Core-600 Memory-1400. Of course I didn't want to blow up my XPC so I just back it down to 400/1.1. Anyone have the same experience? Right now my CPU is a bottleneck, 2.4 Northwood. If I overclock the CPU the system crashes. Temp at idle-60 Temp at load 70s. for GPU

Yes, coolbits is very unreliable and I had the same thing happen, then I restarted and it told me 365/1020. At least it runs 406/1120 without artifacts. anything more and it craps out on the turtle shell in the nature scene in 3DMark03.

BFG GeForce 6800 GT @ 420 / 1140

Its DAMN hot too, I am still waiting on that new Danger Den 6800 waterblock so I can cool it the hell down. At least its stable.

I just put in my eVGA 6800GT yestereday with a fresh install of Windows with 61.77 drivers.

So far my best OC is 410/1150

Man am I ever pissed :mad: I bought this card after reading all of the posts about how well it overclocks. I am so dissapointed that it can't do more than this.

Anything over this and Far Cry will just die on me.

Can't really even send it back..I am in Canada and ordered it online from the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back