Post your 6800 GT OC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PC-hangover: No, I wouldn't try running at that. I had the lastest non-release forceware from guru 3d when I did it. I uninstalled, driver cleaned everything and installed the latest release (I think it's 61.77).

Then I ran coolbits several times and the best it detects is 418/1.09. How conservative is Coolbits? Would I be safe at 420/1100?

tamislan said:
PC-hangover: No, I wouldn't try running at that. I had the lastest non-release forceware from guru 3d when I did it. I uninstalled, driver cleaned everything and installed the latest release (I think it's 61.77).

Then I ran coolbits several times and the best it detects is 418/1.09. How conservative is Coolbits? Would I be safe at 420/1100?

I would at least try it at 420/1100.... just stress test it all day.

Just got my PNY 6800 GT few days ago. Haven't had time to play with it but it auto-detects at 418/1130. I can prolly bump it up even more but that's a nice little start for me. So just letting people know as I read this forum last night. Can't wait to see what it does to Doom 3 :)

tamislan said:

How much you're able to push your GT all depends on your temperatures and core quality. So, it's a bit of luck plus your skill in thermal management.

Opti: At 420/1100 I've got it running 3D mark and that HDR demo. I see some tearing in the demo when it's run in a window - I believe that's not due to heat issues though (no sparklies or artefacts). At load running the HDR demo for 15-20 mins the card maxes out at about 80/81 degrees C. Sound ok?

I just went back and tested the optimal performance and it went from 428/1150 to 434/1160. I've been using the card for a couple weeks now.

All better performance in all tests now. It would be even better if there was better cooling.

one thing, atleast w/ my card, is that 2d and 3d mem. speeds are locked, so if i change the 3d im changeing the 2d... but the core stays at stock clock... anyone else have this?

Looks like I have keep the card at ultra speeds now, 400/1100.. 410 results in some very rare freezes, not worth the extra 1-2 fps at this point.

the_village_treky said:
one thing, atleast w/ my card, is that 2d and 3d mem. speeds are locked, so if i change the 3d im changeing the 2d... but the core stays at stock clock... anyone else have this?

Yes.

You can choose what speed you want the core at for 2d and 3d.
And...
The memory is set the same for 2d and 3d.

i did have 435/1100 but i wanted to see what the core was like, after doing so i realised i had no AS 5 left so i lost 10 C on the core temp, leading me to lower my clock to 425 for the core :(

Here's my newest speed:

Core: 435
RAM: 1200

The core is being cooled by the Koolance GPU-180 waterblock. My H20 system has distilled water and Redline Waterwetter going through it. The core has been pasted with the AS3 TIM.

As for the RAM, I'm using the default BFG heatpipe plus ramsink assembly. I also have a 80mm fan blowing on the front of the card.

The card is OC'ed through my personal hex editing of the original BFG BIOS file. The voltage of the 2D/3D and 3D modes are set to 1.4 V.

The card was flashed with nvFlash442.

Optimummind said:
Here's my newest speed:

Core: 435
RAM: 1200

The card is OC'ed through my personal hex editing of the original BFG BIOS file. The voltage of the 2D/3D and 3D modes are set to 1.4 V.

The card was flashed with nvFlash442.

Did you set 1,4v for 2D ??

410/1150 on a stock cooled PNY 6800 GT. I have a 6800 GT adaptor kit on the way so that I can hook up my Swiftech waterblock/80 watt pelt combo.

Rich_Fray said:
410/1150 on a stock cooled PNY 6800 GT. I have a 6800 GT adaptor kit on the way so that I can hook up my Swiftech waterblock/80 watt pelt combo.
I'll be interested to read your results. :cool:

New OC results!

PNY 6800GT (Stock Cooler) 415/1200

FarCry Results:

Resolution: 1600×1200
Maximum quality option, Direct3D renderer
Level: Volcano, demo: Volcano.tmd
Pixel shader: model 3.0
Antialising: 4×
Anisotrophic filtering: 8×

Score = 43.11 FPS (Run 1)
Score = 42.53 FPS (Run 2)
Average score = 42.81 FPS

That good? :eek:

2 diff gt's
xfx- auto detect 428/1150 wouldn't run w/ stock heat sink at this speed
with a NV 5 it did 435/1120

bfg oc- auto detected 397/1000
with stock 430/1100
with nvs 5 440/1100
i run at 425/1100 since it really isn't much of a performance increase

seems auto detect is kinda screwy, as well as the test. sometimes the test passes, sometimes it doesnt. would i need to use a 3rd party util to bypass the testing to oc?

PNY 6800 GT (revision with copper rail/clear molex)

425/1110 UT2004 stable. Stock cooling, but for a Vantec fan card and a 80mm blowing on the backside.

Update: After BIOS flash to 1.4v, top 3D stable OC: 440. 445 failed after a few minutes of UT 2004. ;)

I think 450+ is certainly reachable with water cooling.
:D

*My advice would be to stop worrying about OCing this card. Run it at stock settings, it will live longer and the performance will still be great. I'm undoing my OC when I get home from work today*
I am overclocking my bfg 6800gt to 400/1100 (I just want ultra speeds). I let 3dmark2k1 loop last night for about 12 hours and I woke up and it was still going strong. I also tried the card in doom3 and farcry and got no artifacting. I assume I'm ok then. Anyways, the reason I quoted the above guy is cuz I want to know, how will this affect the life of the card? I thought overclocking without changing the voltage and keeping the card within stable temperatures should have no bearing on the life of the card. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If I overclock the card further and it begins to artifact, can that damage the card?

400/1100 is where i keep it at... i did get it up to 450/1166 no artifacts in rthdrbl but then in game it artifacts like crazy. so i just set it to ultra.

Scorpvenom said:
*My advice would be to stop worrying about OCing this card. Run it at stock settings, it will live longer and the performance will still be great. I'm undoing my OC when I get home from work today*
I am overclocking my bfg 6800gt to 400/1100 (I just want ultra speeds). I let 3dmark2k1 loop last night for about 12 hours and I woke up and it was still going strong. I also tried the card in doom3 and farcry and got no artifacting. I assume I'm ok then. Anyways, the reason I quoted the above guy is cuz I want to know, how will this affect the life of the card? I thought overclocking without changing the voltage and keeping the card within stable temperatures should have no bearing on the life of the card. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If I overclock the card further and it begins to artifact, can that damage the card?
I have been overclocking for over a while now and havent had any parts die from overclocking. The ONLY parts that have died are two hard drives and about 8 PIECE OF SHIT abit northbridge fans. My latest IC7-g fan lasted a whole freaking week before sounding like a chainsaw. Overclock your cpu and gpu and get the most out of your system and dont even worry about it.

im just running mine at Ultra speeds for the moment. I am waiting to get the Arctic Silencer before I start to go much higher.

I bought one a few days ago that would only hit about 380: 1.05. I returned that to CompUSA and took home a champ!!!

440 : 1.17

Runs RTHDRBL at almost full screen on my desktop (1600x1200) but if I truly max it out it stops and says that my video card does not have enough memory. Anyway - at its largest my card runs 81C and idles at 51C.

Those stats are totally stable and I have run RTHDRBL for about 14 hours as well as looping 3DMark01 and 03.

I was able to hit 452 but 453 failed and had some artifacting until I dropped it to 445. I run it constantly at 440 though.

I might try volt modding after I pick up the DD waterblock. Until then I am stock as well.

I have been running my bfg 6800 gt @ 410/1110 for a month now and have never had any kinds of problems in games or benchmarks. Temps under load were around 80-82 C. 3dmark2k3 was at 12600. So yesterday while playing SWG i start to notice some slight artifacts after playing for awhile. They became more apparent so i quit and tried some other games. UT2k4 showed similar problems, but doom 3 was fine except for one hicup. I tried some more tests and then had a hardware failure and crashed to desktop to find that i was in some kind of safe mode (card took a dive i suppose). I took the card out and examined the TIM between the heatsink and ram and saw that one of them was definitely not lined up right (probably only covering half of the surface area). Why was it stable for a month and then no longer? any ideas? I'm tempted to rip the heatsink off and apply some as5, or just buy the artic silencer, but i don't want to void my warranty until i'm sure the card isn't going bad. Back at nearly stock now 385/1000 with no problems. any advice is much appreciated.

420/1150 @ 49C core Idle and a max of 69C core after 2 hours of Doom3 on ULTRA @ 1600x1200 - 2XAA - 16xAF - Vsync On getting 50 FPS.

and plenty of room to push further on both core and memory, but no need to.

Overclocking is normal. That's how company's get the different levels of processors. They don't actually build them specific for GT & Ultra, The batch speed test and their rate at failure determines the sticker on the box. In our lucky case right now, GT's are in WAY high demand over Ultra's, so there is a good chance they are putting Ultra capable chips on GT boards. What's better - a shelf full of Ultras, or Sold out of GT's with literally no profit loss. Not to mention the companies can't put the speed up because what if they start getting calls on artifacts, so they back it down 20-40 to maintain a safe window. Point being - Overclocking is OK as long as you know the limits are and you are properly cooling and feeding voltage.

rtierney said:
I know it can't be getting too hot.
How do you know this? I've noticed my GT temp creeps up slowly, and what seems to be a stable overclock isn't as the temp creeps up. Have you run a game in a reduced window to watch the temps?

When my card card crashes from heat/OC, I get snow, not a reboot.

BFG running 428/1200 stock dual blue led fan...ran 3Dmark for over 3 hours with no problems and the cards running hot enought to cook chicken. Ran for about 35 minutes at 435/1.8 but then rebooted on me. Thinking about this card makes me smile.

uclajd said:
I'll be interested to read your results. :cool:

Hooked up my swiftech 80 watt pelt/water block combo tonight. Still have to get some more water in the circuit and fiddle around with the drivers but am up to 450/1150.

Idles at 16c, 40c with that rthdribl app running nearly full screen(1600x1200).

I think I can run 460/1170 before using any modded bios. With a little more juice, I hope I can hit 480-490 on the core speed. We'll see. That's a project for tommorrow:)

jacuzz1 said:
400/1100 here , I use profiles. I go stock when surfing and select the oc profile when gaming. Power strip is a very convenient tool
what do the two numbers 400 and 1200 mean? core speed and effective speed?

Gainward 6800 gt golden samples are the best GT's you can buy. They are the only ones that come with Ultra's 1.6ns ram and ultra's original gpu core. Mine runs 440/1200 perfectly stable with a 80m @ 56cfm fan modded on the heatsink. Temps never hit 60c. These are in stock right now at Newegg.com or Zipzoomfly.com. Why spend 550-600 bucks for ultra when this is all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back